Start by marking “The Ranger of Marzanna (The Goddess War, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ranger of Marzanna (The Goddess War, #1)

The Ranger of Marzanna

(The Goddess War #1)

When their father is murdered by imperial soldiers, two siblings set out on opposite paths—one will destroy the Empire forever and the other will save it—in this thrilling new Russian inspired epic fantasy from Jon Skovron.

Sonya is training to be a Ranger of Marzanna, an ancient sect of warriors who have protected the land for generations. But the old ways are dying, and
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Ranger of Marzanna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ranger of Marzanna

Start your review of The Ranger of Marzanna (The Goddess War, #1)
Marie -The Reading Otter
Review:

I received this book from NetGalley for review.

I really enjoyed the setting and the plot, based on Russian folklore. I liked the dynamic of siblings on opposite sides of the same war. I like that the brother seems to not really know at that he is being manipulated, that his decision isn't because he's "evil", but because he's told what he's doing is for the good of the people.

Sonya's path is to serve a goddess and along the way, she starts to lose some of her humanity. Where her
Maia
Jan 11, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm so excited for this!!!!

I hope I like it as much as Hope & Red! :D
Ria the Reader
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Review to come!!!
Reece
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
ARC from NetGalley

This was an interesting and enjoyable read. I wish that the author had injected a bit more culture into this book. I quite enjoyed that facet but found it lacking. I wanted to see the outfits, smell the food, feel as if I was living it.

The magic system was interesting if limited. I am hoping that it is expanded upon further in the coming books.

I didn't like Sonya. She isn't very likeable. She is meant to be crass and uncultured, but it just comes across as
Sheila Goicea
THIS BOOK. WITH THAT COVER. I think I've found one of my most anticipated reads for 2020?

It's a new Epic fantasy trilogy, set in eastern Europe (in the Winter, OK). It focuses around squabbling siblings, magic, and LOYAL HORSES!? Please, someone, give this to me.

description

(Information found on Orbit's website.)

My Blog Bookstagram Twitter Pinterest Facebook
Kenzie The Dragon Queen
Three things:

#1. This cover is absolutely STUNNING! It’s so beautiful, I want to show fantasy books everywhere this is the kind of thing they should be slapping onto the front of their novels!

#2. I was kindly given an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I’m super pumped to be one of the first to read this! I’ll be reading it very soon, so stay posted!

#3. I’ve been politely asked by the publisher not to post my review until two weeks prior of the book’s release, and I
Alyshia
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a free arc in exchange for an honest review.

Rating: 4.75

I absolutely loved this book. It exceeded my expectations in every way. The Ranger of Marzanna sucked me in for the beginning and never let go. I was kind of apprehensive about starting this story since it was so large. I love to read, but most books 400+ pages seem to drag on after a while. I’m tired of the useless descriptions and politics. I decided to start this on my breaks at work while I
Kayla
Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
I received an ARC on NetGalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I'm so excited for this one! I couldn't believe I was approved for an ARC. Fantasy novels about siblings are some of my favorite books to read so this sounds right up my alley.
Nicole
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Two siblings choose different paths, one is a Ranger of Marzanna, the other, serves the empire as a wizard. The death of their father set them each on different courses. Sebastian believed his father underestimated his talents and is easily manipulated the by General, believing he is protecting the people. However, when he begins to kill people in the name of the empire, he loses much of himself. Sebastian believes he is right, yet cannot see the damage that is being done to the one he claims to ...more
Erica
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Filled with rich Russian Folklore , The Ranger of Marzanna is the sweeping fantasy tale of two siblings. One with too much magic and one with no magic at all, trying to find their way in this world and back to where they belong.

I was given the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for my review from Netgalley. All opinions are mine and mine only.

I really enjoyed this! You know how sometimes you just need a super dramatic fantasy book? This is definitely that. Everyone is very dramatic and
Helen Wawrejko
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A sweeping tale of siblings that takes the reader in 2 directions. Sonya, without magic but tied to a goddess and fights for the people and hates the imperial army. The younger brother with immense elemental power that their father tried to hide and keep him from the vagaries of war. While he thinks he will use his power for the good of the people, he finds that the commander that strokes his ego is making him kill people. While well written, it was too long for me. Over abundance of descriptive ...more
Sara Jo
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoy folklore from any culture, but this particular novel was a struggle for me. A very slow-paced, long-winded book with plenty of detail but not a lot of action. With more editing and better flow, it could have been a 4 or 5 star. First in a series but I don’t think I’ll follow it.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Crystal

• Of Silver and Shadow
  • The Fortress
  • Pizza Girl
  • The Heron Kings
  • Crown of Fire (The Forbidden Fae #1)
  • Sin & Spirit (Demigods of San Francisco, #4)
  • The Graves Files
  • Devil’s Blood (Shade of Devil Book 3)
  • Graves of Retribution (City of Bones #3)
  • The Four Profound Weaves: A Birdverse Book
  • Faerie Forged (The Magicsmith, #3)
  • LAKE (Trinity Academy #3)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • Stealing The Throne (Chronicles Of The Throne Book 1)
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • Princess Ballot (Royals of Arbon Academy, #1)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • The Wayward Star (Wilde Justice, #5)
Jon Skovron is the author of several Young Adult fantasy novels, including Misfit, Man Made Boy and This Broken Wondrous World. His first adult fantasy series, The Empire of Storms, began last June with the release of Hope and Red, published by Orbit Books. The Barnes and Noble SF&F blog said "Skovron’s briskly-paced story doesn’t skimp on the world-building—and thank goodness, because it’s ...more