Start by marking “The Orange Grove” as Want to Read:
The Orange Grove

The Orange Grove

Blois, 1705. The château of Duc Hugo d’Amboise simmers with rivalry and intrigue. Henriette d’Augustin, one of five mistresses of the duc, lives at the chateau with her daughter. When the duc’s wife, Duchesse Charlotte, maliciously undermines a new mistress, Letitia, Henriette is forced to choose between position and morality. She fights to maintain her status whilst targe ...more
Expected publication: November 25th 2019 by Regal House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Orange Grove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orange Grove

Start your review of The Orange Grove
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

'The moist soil surrounding the orange trees was criss-crossed with blue shadows and smelled of citrus and sunshine. The sun warmed Letitia’s head as she stood, arms folded across her chest, the trees in endless rows around her.’

The Orange Grove by Kate Murdoch, is a 2019 Regal House Publishing historical fiction title, and it is the author’s second novel, but it is the first piece of writi
Renee Hermansen
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of this book from Kate Murdoch and Beauty and Lace.
Upon arrival I thought the cover beautful and classic and the storyline had me intrigued. I was not dissappointed.
This book is well written and takes you to another era that you cannot even imagine. Set in 1705 at the chateau of the Duc and Duchesse D’Amboise, they live with his 5 mistresses and children whom all have a story and secrets.
I love the beauty depicted in the settings and dre
N.N. Light
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the château of Duc Hugo d’Amboise, where status and political jockeying is exchanged between the sheets. Life is good for the Duc until his new mistress, Letitia, arrives. He’s captivated by her and spends all his time with her, practically ignoring the other mistresses and his wife. Duchesse Charlotte seethes with envy and plots to get rid of the new mistress. She cajoles the other mistresses to help her and Henriette is caught in the middle. Will she forego her position at the châte ...more
rina dunn
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in 18th century France a tale of Jealousy and posessiveness this book transported me to the Château of Duc Hugo d'Ambrose, A powerful man with many mistresses all vying for his attention.
When the Duc invites a new mistress Letitia to the Château and quickly becomes besotted with her it causes his wife Duchesse Charlotte feelings of great Jealousy.
Henriette is caught in the middle. On one hand she wishes to remain loyal to her friend the Duchesse but also wants to be kind and welcoming
Eleni Hale
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This star rating represents how excited I am about this book!! Can’t wait to read it
Kali Napier
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2019
The more things change, the more they stay the same... Set in an early 18thC chateau, The Orange Grove presents an insight into the fraught and precarious social world of a Duc's mistresses and his wife, Duchesse Charlotte. The factions, gossip, machinations, and bullying is reminiscent of the worst in what can happen in groups of females, who fight to gain their position in the pecking order. But all are subject to the whims of the Duchesse, whose own position is contingent upon the Duc's fickl ...more
Highfaefiction
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
First let me say that as someone who isn’t used to reading this genre, I honestly struggled to adapt to the terminology used.. and yet I found it fascinating - Kate’s writing is incredibly descriptive and I it was very easy to imagine the world whilst reading.
The first 50 or so pages you are introduced to a mass of characters to which I found myself getting a little lost on their relationships to one another but before you know it, you’ll have it down pat! There are a lot of twists and tur
Linda Hepworth
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I always feel slightly nervous about reading historical fiction because, when badly executed, I find it at best risible, at worst irritating! However, by the time I’d read just a few chapters of this story I felt immersed in the world of early eighteenth-century France, as well as fascinated by the cast of characters who would share with me their individual experiences of that world.
The story is set in Blois, in the château of Duc Hugo d’Amboise, a man who lives a courtly l
Christina Houen
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kate Murdoch's 2nd historical novel is set in a nobleman's chateau at the beginning of the 18th century. What do we expect of a historical novel? That it recreates a different, distant time and a place for us, with the author's research providing a seamless, believable world; that the time and the place and the characters take on their own life; that the story arc and its resolution be faithful to the period as well as to the characters.

On these three counts, I think this is a succes
Claire
This novel surprised me in how much I enjoyed it. After a slightly shakey start where I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this novel after all, I suddenly found myself drawn into the intrigue going on in the château.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be part of the Duc's House of mistresses, the rivalry and underhanded nastiness that went on would of had me running for the hills.

I disliked Charlotte immensely, though part of me sympathised with her, because who would w
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
RTC!
Jem
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, while it took me a couple of chapters to get my head around all the characters, once I did I couldn't put it down. It was filled with intrigue, a bit of back stabbing and good old fashion rivalry between the women. The end of the book completely surprised me and didn't go where I expected it to go, which was fantastic.
The characters were developed well and as the story progresses we learn more about each of them and the secrets they are keeping from others
Amy Buckle / Amy's Bookshelf
The Orange Grove is a book, set in Blois, in 1705, which follows the people and dramas of the château of Duc Hugo d’Amboise. The duc’s wife, Duchesse Charlotte, simmers with jealousy over the new mistress, Letitia and the beginning of the story sees her start a plot to get rid of her. With five mistresses, unexpected pregnancies, a tarot reader, and even a murder plot, the lives these people lead are anything but boring…

This is a very character-driven book. While learning all the tri
Carole Rae
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was drawn in right away. The story and the cover are so intriguing.

The story takes place in 1705 at the chateau of Duc D'Amboise where he has his wife, Charlotte, and his 5 mistresses. Henriette is our main character and she used to be friends with Charlotte until a new mistress, Letitia, joins them. Charlotte has lost it and has become malicious and wants the new mistress gone.

Honestly, I was hooked from page 1. This author really knows how to bring a world and characters to life. Henriette
Adele
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Orange Grove is a seductive tale; a story of love and lust in the early 18th century, at a time when ladies of court would vie for the attentions of the wealthiest suitor for survival. It was a seductive game of chess with sly devious moves all in the intention for their own gain. A game of love that requires you to tread carefully in order to cling on to the life you feel you deserve.
Kate Murdoch's words took the reader to opulent surroundings to beautiful chateaus in France and also
 Ananya thefoodandbooklife
The book is set in early 18th century France and follows the life of the people in d’Amboise household. The Duc and Duchesse and a retinue of Mistresses, their children and the servants are embroiled in power games and domestic politics. The everyday lives of the women of the house looks peaceful to an outsider but is filled with secrets, hidden loyalties and deceit. As the characters say, the most important thing for a woman is her position and when that is threatened, they stoop to any level t ...more
Monique Mulligan
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Prepare to be swept into the courts of 18th-century France with Kate Murdoch‘s engaging new offering, The Orange Grove. As rich in intrigue as it is in detail, The Orange Grove invites us into the chateau of Duc Hugo d’Amboise, where tensions between the Duc’s five mistresses and his wife sit at a simmering point for much of the tale. Love, betrayal, lust, and jealousy compete for attention in this heady Downton-esque world where women make daily choices between morality and security.

Jane Hunt
The rich historical detail of France, at the beginning of the eighteenth-century, is brought to life, with the intrigues, passions and sacrifices of the five court mistresses, in the house of the Duc Hugo d’Amboise. All the women of varying ages and backgrounds have been drawn into the Duc’s household, his Duchess tolerates their presence until she realises, her husband is falling in love with the youngest, Letitia. Threatened and heartbroken she uses the rivalry and secrets, of her uneasy house ...more
Ashleigh
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Longer review to appear on my blog on the 11th of October.
Shelley Carter
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
full review coming soon!

For more book reviews, visit Underground Writers: https://bit.ly/2DJJQ9g
Vesna Literary.Joy
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#theorangegrove by @katemurdoch2 is brilliant. Set in early 18th century France it brims with pompous, high brow people as you would expect for that period.

This novel centres on the family and occupants of the Chateau d’Amboise, The Duc, his wife and his mistresses and their children. When the fifth young mistress arrives and has the Ducs attention Duchesse Charlotte becomes jealous and plots with the other mistresses to rid her home of Letitia. Class is of extreme importance, and loyalties are
Melissa Ratcliff
Sep 30, 2019
Eva
Nov 19, 2019
Julie Duck
Oct 30, 2019
Stephanie
Nov 03, 2019
Dearna (Words of the Roses)
Oct 25, 2019

• Blessing in Disguise
  • Bye Bye Baby
  • Lies Lies Lies
  • The Old Lie
  • Who Killed The Bride? (Butterfly House #1)
  • Who Killed The Movie Star? (Butterfly House #2)
  • Wearing Paper Dresses
  • The Heart of the Ritz
Kate Murdoch is the author of Stone Circle. She exhibited widely as a painter both in Australia and internationally before turning her hand to writing.

Her short-form fiction has been published in various literary journals in Australia, UK, US and Canada.

Stone Circle is a historical fantasy novel set in Renaissance Italy. It was released by Fireship Press December 1st 2017.