Start by marking “L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy, #1)” as Want to Read:
L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy, #1)

L.A. Candy

(L.A. Candy #1)

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  24,417 ratings  ·  2,111 reviews

Published June 16th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about L.A. Candy, please sign up.

·  24,417 ratings  ·  2,111 reviews

Aileen
Apr 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Pre-teens
Shelves: sigh
I almost forgot I read this book (call it self-preservation), but I remembered after a marathon of Laguna Beach. Also known as: Aileen Avoids Outlining, Part Deux.

It was summer, I believe. I had recently moved to Seattle and was flying back to Pittsburgh for a friend's bachelorette party. The book I was currently reading? Anna Karenina. The book I wanted to read? L.A. Candy.

Insert shameface here:

This is me pandering to MTV marketing

If you'd like to know what happens in the book, here is a guest
Angelc
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
"LA Candy" was recommended to me by a good friend, but she enjoyed the book a lot more than I did. One reason could be that she is a fan of Lauren Conrad's MTV shows and I don't watch them. I did think I would gain insight to the world of reality tv, but I was disappointed in the small amount of insider info in the book, which could have been summed up in a short magazine article.

The story focuses on Jane Roberts and her journey from average recent high school graduate to overnight Hollywood se
Roxanne
Aug 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
My affection for LC knows no bounds. There is no other explanation for why I finished this. There were multiple times I almost gave up, but then I'd see her (gorgeous) photo on the back and think about how much I like her and keep keeping on.

The writing was not terrible. I don't want my one star to give the wrong impression. The problem wasn't the writing here; this book has one main flaw: it's fucking BORING. As all get out. BORING. I was BORED TO TEARS. There are other things about it that tu
Rissa
Jul 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
While the story line and plot had potential, the language of the book annoyed me. Text phrases like 'OMG', 'WTF', and what-not made the book look childish. I also hated how in front of almost every sentence was the word 'like'. Even the straight male characters used 'like' often. I truly believe that Conrad wrote this book herself because while she is suppose to be really smart, the idea and text of the book match her personality. This is honestly one of the worst books that I have ever read. I ...more
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lightfiction
This book is not as horrible as I expected, but not as good as I wished for it to be. It was only mildly entertaining. I haven't read very many other chick-lit type young adult novels, so I'm not sure how this compares. There are a couple things that annoyed me, which I realize may all be due to the fact that I'm an old codger.

The language contains a fair amount of "texting"-speak: e.g. BFF, OMG, WTF, etc. I realize that there are young adults out there that communicate like this, but is it nece
Natalie
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, 2009
Well at least they got rid of Laruen's mustache for the photo on the back cover....

Ok after having actually finished the book (yes I read the damn thing) I have decided that this is just like The Hills---shallow, vapid, plotless, and yet I find myself coming back for more.
After the shitty week I have had I needed some brain-numbing escapism, and this fit the bill perfectly.
Emerald Sue
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it

Susan
Jul 27, 2009 rated it liked it
I can't believe I didn't hate this book! I definitely didn't buy it...I read it and am going to review it for the publisher (not like they're going to publish what I write about it!) so that I can add the book to my school library.
What I liked most about the book, insignificant as it is, is the chapter titles, which were sentences or phrases taken from the chapter.
I felt like this book was rather autobiographical, which does not imply that I know anything about the life of Lauren Conrad. Good w
Alaina
Okay so it has been six-ish days since I read this book.. and I'm honestly kind of confused why I gave this book 3 stars.. but I'm also super lazy and my brain is fried right now.

L.A. Candy was kind of meh. Now I know about Lauren Conrad because my sister was obsessed with those crappy reality tv type shows. Anything on MTV was basically crack to her and being the younger sister that I am.. I saw through it with her. Of course I was reading a book or two then.. but sitting through it and trying
Krissys
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy #1) by Lauren Conrad

Los Angeles is all about the sweet life: hot clubs, cute guys, designer...everything. Nineteen-year-old Jane Roberts can't wait to start living it up. She may be in L.A. for an internship, but Jane plans to play as hard as she works, and has enlisted her BFF Scarlett to join in the fun.When Jane and Scarlett are approached by a producer who wants them to be on his new series, a "reality version of Sex and the City," they can hardly believe their luck
Mackenzie

As Jane and Scarlett move to L.A. something happens. Jane and Scarlett move to L.A. to get out of their comfort zones. All their lives they've felt comfortable and safe at home and wanted to change that. In L.A. they get jobs and go to school just like they would have at home, or anywhere else. But something happens that wouldn't have happened in little Santa Barbra. L.A. Candy, a novel by Lauren Conrad is very admirable because the author makes me feel there right next to the main characters, a
Becca
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
They say to write what you know. That being said, it should come as no shock that Lauren Conrad—blonde girl-next-door, self-proclaimed fashionista, and star of the first six seasons of MTV’s reality series The Hills—opens her literary career with a novel about (you’ll never guess) a blonde girl-next-door who is selected to be on a reality show.

L.A. Candy opens one week after sweet, good-natured Jane (a thinly veiled version of Conrad) moves to L.A. with her best friend from kindergarten, the dro
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
OMG! I know most people don’t like Lauren Conrad. Remember MTV series The Hills? Yes, that’s where she came from. Along with other starlets, Heidi….. ugh, too many to mention! But take note, I never watched the series. Ever!

Actually, I bought her book thinking that I might gain insight to the world of reality tv, since that is what her book is all about. So, ok.. The story line and plot had potential – true… The behind-the-scenes were as realistic as I imagined it to be, the staged fights and ca
Adele Goetz
Jul 04, 2009 rated it liked it
I know, I know, I am a grown woman who should not be reading young adult novels, let alone ones "written" by Lauren Conrad. But it was a fun read! If you watch "The Hills", this book is worth reading to try and figure out which one of LC's co-stars the characters are based on. And it's incredibly short, so you can read it in 2 hours and then go back to reading Proust or whatever age appropriate book you prefer to try and get some of your dignity back.
Susan
Jan 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I don't think anyone has any aspirations to be the next Great American Novel, but I can think of at least a dozen more entertaining alternatives for a purely frivolous light read. There's not enough drama, scandal, or even romance to really tantalize, and the plot point the most likely to spark an interest (when the heroine and her best friend get involved in the reality show) doesn't even really get going into much further into the book than you would think. If Lauren Conrad has the inside scoo ...more
Bookishrealm
Okay so this wasn't the best piece of literature in the world however I really think the drama of the story kept me going. I was interested in how the characters were going to handle their new fame and fortune and it definitely proved to be a great insight to what reality tv is like behind the scenes.
Gemma
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Sometimes you need good zero substance reads for pastimes such as, say, exercising on a stationary bicycle for extended periods of time when there's nothing good on TV. And for those times, LA Candy is highly, highly recommended.

It's an excellent zero-substance read because there really is zero substance. LA Candy is like whipped egg whites; it looks oh-so pretty until you bite down and realize that it has a good enough texture, but really tastes like nothing.

There really isn't a lot going on he
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
When nineteen-year-old Jane Roberts is cast in a new reality show, she discovers that the fame and fortune of her new life come at a high price to herself and her friendships.

I'm a huge Lauren Conrad fan, so this book is just right for me, I LOVE anything with LC's name on it!

I felt as if Lauren wrote her own biography, but if you watched The Hills, you will be surprised to see that Jane is more like Heidi then Lauren, Baby face, wants to organize parties and events, and her BFF is so much hotte
Linda
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't like chicklits at all, but since i've been in such a reading slump, I thought maybe a light, fluffy, no-need-to-think book was the way to get out of it.
I was wrong.

How these girls talked to each other made me think of a stereotype all-American mean girl. Especially the amount of times they use the word 'like' in a sentence.

I can see this is a book that (teenage) girls will enjoy if they are into YA and chicklits
But if you're like me, and don't enjoy that genre, don't think this time w
Dawnie
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
i'm only a little ashamed..
Serena Li
Jun 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Shamefully, I admit I read this book. I also have to admit that The Hills is my guilty pleasure. I always found Lauren to be a rather smart, sensible girl (at least in comparison the the scenery around her). But BOY was I disappointed with this. I guess I didn't really have an expectation coming into it but even having no expectation, I still managed to find myself cringe at each cliche, and boy were there a lot. Thank goodness I just read this from the library and did not actually purchase it. ...more
Victoria
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first started this series because I'm a fan of Lauren Conrad/The Hills. Even though they're simple and aren't that deep, they're a good read because they're interesting (if you're into reality tv). I personally love the series because it's just light and fun, a really good beach read.
Jess Brown
May 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Rachael
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
No offense to Lauren Conrad, but I expected this book to be super lame. I was, thankfully, pleasantly surprised.

This book tells the story of Jane and Scarlett, best friends since childhood, who move to LA to become an event planner, and a student, respectively. Almost immediately after arriving, these unusually pretty girls are cast in a new reality show, and drama and excitement ensues from there.

Clearly, this book has a lot of basis in Conrad's own employment history with Laguna Beach and the
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Angela S. for TeensReadToo.com

This novel by reality TV starlet Lauren Conrad chronicles the lives of Jane Roberts and her best friend, Scarlett Harp, as they move to LA and become the stars of a reality TV show. The book, which is based loosely on Conrad's own life, is a little slow in the beginning, but picks up a bit once Jane and Scarlett are discovered at a club by a TV producer.

From that point on the two, though a little hesitant at first, decide to audition for the show and the
Katrine
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LA Candy is a story about to girls that move to LA to get a start on their life. They experience hate, love, and tons of drama. The main characters in LA Candy are Jane and Scarlett. Jane is your typical good girl. She is kind and sweet. Jane works at an event planning office with her crazy boss. Scarlett is the opposite of Jane. She just doesn’t care about what people think of her. She wears t shirts and jeans. Scarlett will currently be attending a college in California. In LA Candy Jane and S ...more
Nicole
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
While I didn't think this was the worst book I've ever read, I didn't think it was the best either. I did enjoy it alot more than I thought I would, but there were just parts that left me scratching my head. I wasn't a fan of Madison(but then again, who would be) and I wasn't too crazy about Scarlett, but at the same time I liked her because she was trying to be a good friend and watching out for Jane, but Jane couldn't realize that. I thought that it was a little too loosely based on her own li ...more
Carolyn
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Groundbreaking! A tour de force! Just kidding, I mean it's Lauren Conrad's teen novel... It starts off kinda slow and ho hum for a while, but once the characters in the book begin the filming of the reality show that they're on, it gets very interesting for any fan of The Hills. Although the accounts are "fictional," it definitely gives great insight and potential knowledge about how the producers impacted the storyline and the characters, how the characters interacted with each other, and what ...more
Elizabeth
THIS WAS SO FUN.

description

I brought this book on vacation with me to serve as an easy, breezy, beach read. I fully expected it to be garbage but I was very pleasantly surprised! It's still garbage in the same way eating a cupcake does absolutely nothing for your body nutrition wise, but oh boy is it sweet and delicious.

L.A. Candy follows the lives of Jane (girl-next-door) and Scarlett (sassy rule-breaker)- two best friends who have moved to Los Angeles to pursue an internship and university, respectively.
Katherine
Its great to see how easily book deals are given to people these days, this book was air. Poof, nothing there.

I don't even see the point of describing it just save your money and get something else instead - seriously get off this book page and go do something else.
YA Buddy Readers'...: L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy #1) by Lauren Conrad - Starting February 1st 2016 21 20 Feb 08, 2016 04:07PM
2nd Period Langua...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Mide's book 3 2 2 May 11, 2014 08:09PM
Who has read this Book? 15 66 Sep 28, 2013 11:12PM
the f**king sleaze! 6 59 Jun 07, 2013 07:33PM
2 words... YA BOO...: L.A. Candy 1 6 Jan 09, 2013 04:26PM

• Priceless
  • Beneath the Glitter (Sophie and Ava London, #1)
  • Hollywood is Like High School With Money
  • The Opposite of Invisible
  • Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Take a Chance on Me (Gossip Girl: The Carlyles, #3)
  • Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation
  • Love and Other Things I'm Bad At (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #3)
  • Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America
  • The Jumbee
  • 86'd
  • Elixir (Elixir, #1)
  • True Whit: Designing a Life of Style, Beauty, and Fun
  • California Schemin' (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective, #45; Malibu Mayhem Trilogy, #1)
  • Teaching the Pig to Dance: A Memoir of Growing Up and Second Chances
  • Reality Check
  • Ominous (Private, #13)
  • Sun-Kissed (The Au Pairs #3)
Lauren Katherine Conrad, often referred to as "L.C.", is an American television personality and an aspiring fashion designer. She is best known for being featured in the MTV reality series Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County and for her spin-off show, The Hills, which follows her personal and professional life as she pursues a career in the fashion industry. She earns an estimated $1.5 million an ...more

L.A. Candy (3 books)
  • Sweet Little Lies (L.A. Candy, #2)
  • Sugar and Spice (L.A. Candy, #3)
“The only way to belong is to act like you belong. Or to not give a shit whether you belong or not.” 76 likes
“Love...who needed love? As long as she had her books and her friends and an occasional hookup, she was perfectly content.” 58 likes