Start by marking “Sleep” as Want to Read:
Sleep

Sleep

A marriage made in heaven, a murder made in hell.

Why kill the man you love?

Lizzy was struggling, everyone knew that.

He shouldn't have done those things.

He shouldn't have pushed her so hard.

And now, her children, her marriage, her hope - gone.

It was all her fault, she knew that, but was there a chance of redemp
Published September 1st 2019 by Purple Queen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep

Start your review of Sleep
Sue
SLEEP is a psychological drama debut thriller by author M. K. Boers, that deals with the sensitive subjects of miscarriage and depression. All I can say was it was an amazing well-written emotional read. My heart went out to the protagonist, Lizzy and all that she had to deal with. One strong lady.

A marriage made in heaven… a murder made in hell.
Why kill the man you love?

Lizzy Dyson stabs and kills her adulteress husband, Tony and lover, Sally Bryant in bed together, in the ma
Linda Strong
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

It's the buzzing that wakes her up. It's the flies .... those big greenish flies. They're attracted to the two bodies lying in the other room .. on the bed. Her husband and his lover ... on HER bed, in HER bedroom.

When she wakes again, there are blue flashing lights everywhere. Now she's in handcuffs. And now she's in jail ... charged with murder which she readily admits to doing.

Lizzy Dyson is on trial for her life. She knows she must pay for her acts.

What le
Shalini
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one fabulous kickass books that I have read. Lizzy Dyson was on trial for her husband Tony and his lover’s murder. That was clear to all, she pled guilty too. The jury had to decide her years of conviction, and that started the ball rolling right at the point where it all began.

My first book by M K Boers, and man, was I ambushed by emotions at every page. My suspicious mind looked at Lizzy with doubt early on, but as the story progressed, I got to know the extenuating circ
Lynn Mccarthy
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lizzy is on trial for killing her husband and his lover.Lizzy knew what she did was wrong, and I really enjoyed how the story unfolded and the court case.
It was really well put together.As she awaits her sentence and undergoes her trial, all the events that contributed to put her where she is are brought out I thought the court scenes were fascinating.
Well worth reading :)
Kevin Hammond
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love it when writers write like this. The story begins with the end, and then shows you how we get there. It takes quite a bit of skill for a writer to tell you how it ends and then keep you interested all the way through. But it worked. It worked very well.
This book is about a woman who kills her husband, even though she is truly trying to keep their troubled life together. And I'm not going to even hide it, I didn't feel bad for the husband and was cheering on the main character, his w
Gilly Riet
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MK Boers first book (under this pen name) a psychological thriller is a well-balanced story; telling the tale of Lizzy’s idyllic marriage to Tony fading into a nightmare. The result of repeated personal tragedies and insensitive goading and eventual neglect. The lead character is as alive as you or me and the author leaves no stone unturned at furnishing her reader with the background to Lizzy’s tale of undoing. Every character included leads you to know Lizzy more; whilst being introduced to he ...more
Victoria Pearson
Sleep is an excellent psychological thriller, following the thoughts of Lizzy as she looks back at the circumstances that led to her murdering her husband and his lover in their marital bed.

The writing style is flawless, at times brutal and stripped back, then switching up to almost lyrical descriptive prose depending on where we are in the narrative, and as a writer myself, I admired the skill with which it was done.

Just as in life, there are no cardboard characters or easy answers
Pat Eroh
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story absolutely grabbed me by the throat, on the first page, and did not let go! It was an emotional roller coaster of sorts, with an awesome main character Lizzie being so awful and yet, you have to read to find out. Amazingly written, this story will haunt you for a while after finishing the story.

Ellie Shepherd
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This author is new to me but certainly a new favourite author. This book dealt with several sensitive subjects really delicately and sensitively. I really loved the main character and what had happened to make her the way she is in life.
Highly recommended to read. Wow.
Stephanie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars rounded up.
I read a lot of crime fiction but I’ve never read a book like this before. Where the lead character, Lizzy, is the person who has committed the crime and where as you read you discover the reasons why.

I thought the court scenes were fascinating, I enjoyed the way the witnesses were taken down by the prosecution and the defence and the way that each of the witnesses seemed to help Lizzy accept her actions. Regardless of whose side they were on. I particula
Anne
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great psychological thriller debut this book was. Lizzie’s story is just heartbreaking. A marriage made in heaven than ends up with her living in her own personal hell.

Lizzie is in prison at the start of her trial for murdering her husband and his mistress. Given she has already pleaded guilty, it all looks pretty cut and dried. However, the real story then starts to unfold – the heartache, the marriage breakdown, the struggling, the lack of support and everyone ignoring the signs t
Priya
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was sort of a novel in reverse, in the sense that it starts off with a crime and we know who is responsible and it then details how the protagonist got there.
Lizzy is on trial for the murder of her husband and the woman he was cheating on her with.
As she awaits her sentence and undergoes her trial, all the events that contributed to put her where she is are brought out.
The importance of support in times of emotional distress as well as the need to reach out for help are hi
Asimah Akhtar
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sleep introduces the reader to the protagonist, Lizzy Dyson; being arrested for a heinous crime. Lizzy pleads guilty and is then put on trial for the murder of her husband, Tony Dyson and his mistress; Sally Byrant.

In the story the reader is given an account of what preceded the murders, as told mainly by Lizzy's memories. We are also, given accounts of Lizzy and Tony's life by their friends and family when they give their testimonies in court. By doing this the author helps u
Jodi
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC copy of this and it didn't disappoint.

We first meet Lizzy while she is in prison awaiting trial for killing her husband and his mistress.
Was it murder, a crime of passion, a moment of madness or pure revenge?

The writer takes us back to the events leading up to the night in question so we get some sense of Lizzy's state of mind and some of the terrible things that have happened which could have caused this. I changed my mind throughout
diana berns
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sleep. What a nightmare Liz has. She has a violent temper which she keeps in control, until she finds her husband in her bed making passionate love to another woman
Her temper explodes and she kills them both. She still loves her husband but there relationship is strained due to the loss of 5 babies during pregnancy. The book explores her past and the events that cause her to commit murder. A very well written book which helps to explain the mental causes of her murderous act. Thank you for the
Beccy Thompson
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
What a debut! I love a physiological thriller and MK delivers in spades with this book. He has taken a sensitive situation (miscarriages) and woven a tale around the what could happens when other events impact this situation. I found Lizzie a really well developed character which helped me engage with her and I found myself supporting her.
An absolutely brilliant read that kept me gripped right to the end!
Linda Phillips
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty sure I will be thinking about this book for a long time after I have finished it.
I can relate to some of what Lizzy went through, and know the after effects of recurrent pregnancy loss. I found myself nodding along at times, in total agreement to how she was feeling. My heart broke for her.
I received an advanced ebook copy of this book in return for an honest review.
Sian Steen
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Lizzy's story, and I thought it was a good look into the human psyche. I really wanted to give her a big hug!

It was really well put together, examining what had led her to this point through a series of flashbacks/memories. I enjoyed the characters, especially the development of Lizzy herself.

The book also dealt with mental health issues in what I thought was a respectable way - definitely something we need more of in books.
Chris Tunnicliffe
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lizzy is on trial for killing her husband and his lover. This book looks back on all the events in Lizzy's marriage, her husbands infidelities, her miscarriages and the way these events impacted on Lizzy and led to murder. During the trial and her time in prison Lizzy undergoes a voyage of self discovery as she feels everything his her fault and nobody was there for her.Well written and sensitively told. Absolutely loved this book and will be looking for more from this author.
Lindsay
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I really enjoyed this story about a wife on trial for murder of her husband and his mistress. The story slowly unfolded as we discovered why things had collapsed to such a point where she had committed murder and the final outcome of the trial. It’s a heartbreaking look at the breakdown of a marriage and ultimately the destruction of people’s lives.
Carol
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lizzy is awaiting trial for murder, but is it a crime of passion or revenge? This highly emotional story slowly unfurls an insight into Lizzy’s state of mind, and deals with the issues of miscarriage and depression sensitively. Well written, with a strong central character, this is a great debut psychological thriller!
Bradd Chambers
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting read from a fellow indie author. Told mostly through flashbacks and current scenes in court and prison whilst Lizzy waits to see the outcome after pleading guilty to murdering her husband and his mistress. ⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Geeta
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed following Lizzy's story, especially as the chapters outlined the past and present to allow us to understand the circumstances and whether we feel sympathetic to her case.
I would recommend this book to other readers.
Angela
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disturbing and twisted, Sleep by M. K. Boers is a psychological thriller that will force you to sympathize with a murderer.

Warning: This book deals with topics (abuse, mental illness, miscarriages) that might be challenging for some readers.
Susan Angela Wallace
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sleep by MK Boers.
A very enjoyable read. I liked Lizzy and I really felt for her. I didn't like Tony at all or Reedy he was evil. 5*.
Natalie Lewis
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Lizzy murdered her husband, we know this right from the beginning of the book, but we don't know why. She initially seems like a cold-blooded murderer, but as the book progresses you find yourself feeling empathy with her situation. This was an interesting perspective of a murder story.
M. Boers
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Victoria Pearson
Sep 02, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong book cover on new release 3 11 Aug 21, 2019 02:29PM

• Their Last Breath
  • Violet
  • Savage Children (John Savage Action Thriller Book 3)
  • Simon Says
  • Never Let Her Go (No Escape #3)
  • In the Absence of Miracles
  • Nothing Important Happened Today
  • Killer Motive
  • The Silent Dead
  • The Runaway
  • One Of Us (The Village Book, #3)
  • Fat Chance
  • In The Deep (Detective Kelly Moore #2)
  • Déjà Vu
  • Found You (No Escape #2)
  • The Little Bookshop on the Seine (The Little Paris Collection, #1; The Bookshop, #2)
  • Someone Else's Life
  • Filter This
M K Boers spent her early childhood in Surrey, in the south of England, and her teens moving round the UK, but currently resides in the Netherlands.

Her new novel Sleep is her first foray into Psychological Thrillers.

Under her pen name Miranda Kate, she has been featured in several Flash Fiction anthologies, and has published two collections, one of dark flash-fiction tales called Mostly Dark, and an