Start by marking “The Missing of Clairdelune” as Want to Read:
The Missing of Clairdelune

The Missing of Clairdelune

(La Passe-Miroir #2)

When Ophelia is promoted to Vice-storyteller by Farouk, the ancestral Spirit of Pole, she finds herself unexpectedly thrust into the public spotlight. her gift—the ability to read the secret history of objects—is now known by all, and there can be no greater threat to the nefarious denizens of her icy adopted home than this.

Beneath the golden rafters of Pole's capitol, she
Published July 11th 2019 by Europa (first published October 29th 2015)

Lucy Langford
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5****

I loved this ! This book continued on from the first one and I actually preferred this over the first installment. Here, Ophelia is still trying to understand the Citaceleste and the inhabitants from the Pole. Not only that, she now has to deal with the whole of her charismatic and overbearing family coming to the Pole to keep an eye on her.

Unexpectedly, she is promoted to Vice Story-teller to the ancestral spirit of the Pole, Lord Farouk. This thrusts her directly into the spotlight- ta
Rain
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-fave
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for giving me an advanced copy for an honest review.

It's official: I am now declaring this series as one of my favorites. When I was approved for an eARC of A Winter's Promise last year, I didn't expect it to steal my heart as it did. At first, all the talk of Rupture and the atmospheric writing confused me so much. The protagonists also seemed so unconventional—Ophelia is a clumsy and timid Animist capable of "reading" any object she touches and Thorn
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
ARGHHHH CLIFFHANGERS *wails piteously*

There’s positives and negatives to getting advance copies for review: you get the story early, yes, BUT YOU ALSO HAVE TO WAIT LONGER FOR THE NEXT BOOK 😭😭😭 why didn’t I study French in school just so I could read this series in its original language fml

I am incredibly enchanted by this series. It’s so different: the worldbuilding is so unique, a blend of beauty and steampunk that’s reminiscent of Ghibli works; the writing is gorgeously translated into illust
GaelleB
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Mindblowing and fascinating, I have no words. This book might be the best one I’ve read so far this year. WOW.

Ce n’était pas Thorn qui avait besoin d’elle. C’était elle qui avait besoin de Thorn. Ophélie se plongea corps et âme dans le miroir.

Every damn chapter has its importance. The main characters are amazing, Ophelie is just so excellent!
This story is so inventive, it blows my mind. The creativity is on a Harry Potter level to me for sure. Speechless.
I’m a mess full of emotions right now.
Scrill
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
So excited that I got this from Edelweiss!!!! Ahhhhh!!

I need this. I need to know what happens next!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I LOVED the first book, A Winter's Promise when I read it last year. I was eagerly watching for The Missing of Clairdelune and its release date. YAY, it's finally here!!

Since this was originally a French book and had to be translated it really is almost like an indie book. The author isn't well known in America... but she totally should be! I really hope others can jump on the bandwagon and help me spread the love.

The Premise

I was only
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Brilliant sequel, that takes the creativity of the first book and builds the characters into something so wonderful. The Mirror Visitor Quartet is fast becoming a favourite and I can't wait to read the next books as they are available in translation.
Text Publishing
‘I didn’t want to finish and leave Dabos’ dazzling fantastical story world. The world building in this series is phenomenal…I was enthralled.’
Nadia King

‘Christelle Dabos captivates readers of all ages.’
Lire

‘This book is bursting with inventiveness.’
Le Monde des livres

‘Stands on the same shelf as Harry Potter.’
Elle
The Artisan Geek
14/6/19
Aaaaah this was everything I wished for and MORE. This was so good!! Dabos did not disappoint, I've got to insta add this to my favourites shelf! A review will be up on my channel soon!!

16/5/19
My copy from Europe Editions came in two days ago and OH MY GOSH. I finished A Winter's Promise today and I can't wait to delve into this one!

19/3/19
I received a copy from Europa Editions, but bought the first book last week so I can read that one first.

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twi
Hannah
I probably would have given The Missing of Clairdelune four stars if I had read it in a shorter amount of time. Because I was passively picking it up for over a month, I found it to be somewhat slow. It may just be that I had been reading it for so long that I lost interest at times. But I will say that if you have read and enjoyed the first book, A Winter's Promise, you are sure to enjoy this one as well. It's just definitely the type of book that you will want to read in a week or so.

This Eng
Nadia King
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been surprised by just how much I have loved The Mirror Visitor Quartet series by Christelle Dabos.

A Winter’s Promise (the first book in the series) was stunning and I found The Missing of Clairedelune to be equally compelling. Although, it was a bittersweet read for me; I couldn’t gulp down the story fast enough, but at the same time I didn’t want to finish and leave Dabos's dazzling fantastical storyworld.

The world building in this series is phenomenal. And the female protagonist, Oph
Jaclyn (sixminutesforme)
This was even better than book one (which I thought was already wonderful!!).

I think the level of plot action in this book significantly increased from book one - this had me on the edge of my seat way sooner, and had me gasping at some of the twists at the very end! I think because the world and characters were so well set up in the first book, we really got to dive deeper into their intricacies and the relationships a lot more.

What is common to both is the massive plot cliffhanger each ends wi
Jersy
While I really really enjoyed reading this book, I have to address some problems I had with it first.
I feel it gets distracted from time to time from the things that appeal to me the most about it and it also wastes potential by not thoroughly exploring relationships, characters and concepts. Especially Ophelia and Thorns relationship needed more time. It could even do more with its plot by meandering less and work things out more.
However, I still really liked following Ophelia and the character
Savannah Stevie💛
"You wanted me to be honest with you. You will thus learn that you are not just a pair of hands to me. And I don't give a damn whether people find me suspect, as long as I am not so in your eyes."

I'm not sure if it's because this series is translated or what it is but there is something so unique about this story that I feel like I've never gotten before from a YA fantasy. The ending felt a little bit rushed for me. Which sucked because I was hoping for a little more from the climax, we have bee
Giulia☀️
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just...omg.
this book is so beautiful.
Kayla Gallup
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an arc from Netgalley. Thank you Europa, Christelle Dabos, and Netgalley for the privelage to read this book. This review is my honest review.

Rating-5/5 Stars
The Missing of Clairdelune is the sequel to A Winter’s Promise, which one of my favorite books of 2018. This book, the sequel was one of my anticipated reads of 2019. And man, it did not disappoint.
The novel picks right up from where A Winter’s Promise and there was a bit of a mystery in this novel, which kept me wondering a gu
Roni Derossett
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher, for providing me with a complimentary ARC in exchange for my honest review!

Because this series is being translated from French, I don't think this author is as well known and appreciated in America yet - as they definitely should be!!! A Winter's Promise took me a little bit to get into it, but by the end I was in love with this world Christelle Dabos has built, along with her characters - and that love only deepened with The Missing of Clairdelune; the au
Sara
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This was super addicting, but the action never stops and I'm now exhausted from binge listening. Also, my fave parts -- the romance and Ophelia's connection with her friends -- were so unsatisfactory. They weren't explored enough, were just tiny short scenes and then boom something else would be happening! I wanted some time to process some things? Could've really enjoyed some more in-depth characterizations.

Also, I disliked the prose style used whenever something magical happened, including th
Emmie
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m having real trouble rating these books. On the one hand, I keep coming back for more, on the other hand, I go through so many lulls reading them that I can’t decide if I’m trying to force my enjoyment just because it’s a French YA fantasy and I feel guilty that I barely ever read books in French anymore. (Ah well, at this point, we all know that I’m going to read the third one regardless... )
Some thoughts on this book:
- Loved the direction that the Ophélie-Thorn relationship took
- Still a hu
Jaclyn (sixminutesforme)
This was even better than book one (which I thought was already wonderful!!).
What is common to both is the massive plot cliffhanger each ends
Jypsy
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Missing of Clairedelune is the second book in a series. I wish I had read the first book because I think it would have made this book better. I still enjoyed it though. Ophelia is an awesome character. I like her a lot. Thorn is also likeable and engaging. The relationship between them is great and obviously going somewhere. The magic and mystery and description is beautiful. It's vivid and alive. I was a little confused with the religious elements of the story but not enough to make me like ...more
Louisattac
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeez there are so many things going on in this book! First book was about settings, mysteries and characters. This one is all about action, suspens and drama! I truly think there is not a single chapter not ending on a cliffhanger. You can't rest for a second! However I'm not that curious for third book, for I can't imagine what could happen after that - leaving aside world's creation mystery. Please please don't disappoint me, this series is too good!
Shoshana
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed #1 but man, I loved this one. Loved it.
Andrea Bambi
In my opinion, the love story arc isn't compelling and in the end it's too rushed it's almost annoying. It's a pity, because the book is well written and the plot is exciting.
Lacks on the world-building department ever so slightly.
Overall a good book, even though I enjoyed the first more.
Perrine
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF page 177/459 ---38% of the book.
Rhythm of the book is far too much slow!
sara
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I am just going to give you a fair warning, I'm super tired and this review might not make as much sense or be as good. I finally finished my Goodreads challenge.

I feel like I am going to have to reread the last 50 pages of this book, because I've been super tired today and wasn't able to read it to the best of my ability, but overall besides today and a few other times, I really heavily enjoyed this book a ton, it kept me interested and wanting to know what was going on.

The plot, plot-wise t
Laura-Lea Marie Strunevic-Freeman
"'You wanted me to be honest with you. You will thus learn that you are not just a pair of hands to me. And I don't give a damn whether people find me suspect, as long as I am not so in your eyes.'" (156)

Emotion :: Upon completion, I once again wished very much that I was fluent in French, as the third book has not yet been translated. I feel so blessed to have stumbled upon this series, it has brought me endless hours of pure joy. Ophelia is such a wonderful protagonist. She is one of those sil
Ruthsic
Warnings: physical violence, gun violence, implied animal abuse, child abuse

While the first book was more about introducing us to the world of the Arks, and specifically the Pole's world of politics and infighting, this book makes the mystery of the book take center-stage. Ophelia, who has to now officially enter the court for her protection, is initially relegated to being a Vice-Storyteller to Farouk, the family spirit of the Pole. She is then involved in investigating the incidents of missin
Tabor
"You wanted me to be honest with you. You will thus learn that you are not just a pair of hands to me. And I don't give a damn whether people find me suspect, as long as I am not so in your eyes. You will return this to me when I have kept all my promises," he grumbled, holding his watch out to Ophelia without noticing her stunned expression."

Lucky for me, this book came in immediately after I finished the first but I am a little concerned because it did come out in 2015 and it's labeled as bra
Samantha Vitale
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
OMG THIS BOOK IS FLIPPIN' AMAZING!!

Things I'm a sucker for:
- Wry narration
- Awkward leading men who ruin things by having no idea what to do with their feelings
- Awkward leading ladies who do their best and ruin things anyway
- CRAZY-COOL WORLD-BUILDING
- Lots of super cute scenes that make me smile like an idiot

This book has all of those things. It is basically a more grown-up version of The Mysterious Benedict Society, and I absolutely devoured it. Just like I had SO DEARLY HOPED, Ophelia finds

• Miss Charity
  • Le donjon rouge (Le trône de fer, #2)
  • Ellana, l'Envol (Le Pacte des MarchOmbres, #2)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 16 (Kekkaishi, #16)
  • L'Élixir d'Oubli (Le Paris des Merveilles #2)
  • Basara, Vol. 7
  • Dentelle et nécromancie (Victorian Fantasy, #1)
  • Les marches du trône (Les aventuriers de la mer, #9)
  • L'Ordine della penna (Black Friars, #2)
  • Vertige (Les étoiles de Noss Head, #1)
Christelle Dabos est née en 1980 sur la Côte d’Azur et a grandi dans un foyer empli de musique classique et d’énigmes historiques. Plus imaginative que cérébrale, elle commence à gribouiller ses premiers textes sur les bancs de la faculté. Installée en Belgique, elle se destine à être bibliothécaire quand la maladie survient. L’écriture devient alors une évasion hors de la machinerie médicale, pui ...more

La Passe-Miroir (4 books)
  • Les Fiancés de l'Hiver
  • La Mémoire de Babel
  • En coulisse (La Passe-Miroir #4)
“Quand je vous ai dit que vous aviez une prédisposition surnaturelle aux catastrophes, ce n'était pas une invitation à me donner raison.” 59 likes
“La première fois que je vous ai vue, je me suis fait une piètre opinion de vous. Je vous croyais sans jugeote et sans caractère, incapable de tenir jusqu'au mariage. Ça restera à jamais la plus grosse erreur de ma vie.” 16 likes