Start by marking “Yellow Notebook: Diaries Volume I 1978–1986” as Want to Read:
Yellow Notebook: Diaries Volume I 1978–1986

Yellow Notebook: Diaries Volume I 1978–1986

Helen Garner has kept a diary for almost all her life. But until now, those exercise books filled with her thoughts, observations, frustrations and joys have been locked away, out of bounds, in a laundry cupboard.

Finally, Garner has opened her diaries and invited readers into the world behind her novels and works of non-fiction. Recorded with frankness, humour and

Kindle Edition, 1 page
Published November 5th 2019 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Notebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Notebook

Start your review of Yellow Notebook: Diaries Volume I 1978–1986
Jaclyn Crupi
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Helen Garner for breakfast, lunch and dinner. These diaries offer unparallelled access and intimate insight to the mind of this great writer and I ate it all up. Garner has featured in my dreams while I read this and she is very much in my head which has been a joy. Talk about aqua profonda!
James
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the way helen garner writes makes me feel so clatteringly, vividly alive
Kolumbina
A hard book to review. Definitely a well written book, a very sincere and open insights in many various aspects of Helen Garner's life. I read most of HG's books, really liked her non fiction, especially Joe Cinque's Consolation, This House of Grief and The First Stone.
Diaries are always a very personal kind of writing, especially this book which is written in fragments, some of them fairly short and some of them longer, Helen Garner's life, thoughts, experiences, emotions and also events in
Tracey
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be honest you can not review or critic a diary as it is not structured and it is a collection of thoughts, observations and recollections. You can only reflect on the insight that is afforded to the reader by the author allowing you to be part of their intimate world. For I am sure many write a journal and many do not believe anyone will ever read their words until after they have left the mortal shell.
Helen Garner is one of Australia's great writers and she allows us to read her
Veronica
Nov 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: biography
Yellow Notebook confirms Helen Garner as this country's most astute chronicler of life, in all its messy mundanity and pain and glory. I dog-eared every other page until my copy resembled a PhD student's thesis subject.
elisabeth
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Fenn
Loved every line of these books.
Elsie
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5. It’s magic to read around the books I’ve loved. I’ve written down so many snippets of her musings from this collection. Whip smart and snide and kind and reflexive.
Danielle {halfdesertedstreets}
4.5 stars. I need more, please.
Rosie Hunt
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As with Garner’s fiction, this is full of lines I want to savour and remember. A collection of snippets of thought, the strongest and most interesting themes for me were her self-doubt and her search for an identity outside of marriage. I want more!
Hannah
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I'd normally profess my love for Garner, but this book has made me unsure. She says 'Ayers Rock' - and she climbed it too!
Amie Albrecht
Oct 13, 2019
Jane C Forte

• The Weekend
  • Beauty
  • Fake: A startling true story of love in a world of liars, cheats, narcissists, fantasists and phonies
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope
  • Here Until August: Stories
  • Peace
  • Your Own Kind of Girl
  • Men at Work: Australia’s Parenthood Trap (Quarterly Essay #75)
  • The White Girl
  • Expectation
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
Helen Garner was born in Geelong in 1942. She has published many works of fiction including Monkey Grip, Cosmo Cosmolino and The Children's Bach. Her fiction has won numerous awards. She is also one of Australia's most respected non-fiction writers, and received a Walkley Award for journalism in 1993.

Her most recent books are The First Stone, True Stories, My Hard Heart, The Feel of Stone and Joe