Start by marking “Poems to Fall in Love With” as Want to Read:
Poems to Fall in Love With

Poems to Fall in Love With

In Poems to Fall in Love With Chris Riddell has selected and illustrated his very favourite classic and modern poems about love.
This gorgeously illustrated collection celebrates love in all its guises, from silent admiration through passion to tearful resignation. These poems speak of the universal experiences of the heart and are brought to life with Chris's exquisite,
Published October 3rd 2019 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Poems to Fall in Love With, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems to Fall in Love With

Funeral Blues
n
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
favourites: phoebe bridgers (duh), the orange (duh), the hera lindsay bird, postcards from a hedgehog!!!
Katja
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
There are many lovely poems in this and I like Riddell's style (I adore his illustrations for Neil Gaiman's Sleeper and the Spindle short story, for example) but as a whole this left somewhat "eh" feeling. Not bad but not as fantastic as I expected it to be. Still, it would make a nice gift for somebody who wants to get into poetry because the styles are varied and all of the poems are quite short.
Brandon
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-tbr
Andy Hickman
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How wonderful to have such a broad collection of old & new, quirky & classic, known & obscure poems about ‘love’.
Gorgeous illustrations.
A delightful introduction to heart-felt poems

“Love and Friendship” by Emily Brontë

Love is like the wild rose-briar,
Friendship like the holly-tree
The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms
But which will bloom most constantly?

Locks by Neil Gaiman: "We owe it to each other to tell stories .."

Postcards From The Hedgehog: by Harrold, A.F.
"Dear Mum
Kitty
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
tuleb välja, et ma olen lugenud kohutavalt vähe ingliskeelseid luuletusi, isegi absoluutseid klassikuid pole ette võtnud.

Chris Riddell on kokku pannud valikkogu, mis seda asja natuke parandab, siin on Dickinsoni ja Betjemani ja Plathi ja Burnsi, Shelleyt ja Shakespeare'i, Keatsi ja Yeatsi, aga ka Kate Tempest ja Neil Gaiman ja Carl Ann Duffy. (mul on kodus ka Riddelli eelmine sarnane kogu, "Poems to Live your Life By," ja kahe peale kokku muutub asi juba päris esinduslikuks.)

juurde muidugi
Carla
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This isn't my first Riddell poem collection, so I had to get it when I saw it among Waterstones special and signed editions.
The illustrations in this are absolutely stunning. I sometimes stopped on the pages for minutes just to admire how beautiful they are.
The sections made sense to me. Yes, they're poems about different kinds of love but the sections were carefully selected.
The poems: there was so much variation, meaning there was at least one poem for everyone. From modern to classic
Kate
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given this volume of poetry, selected by Riddell, for Christmas. Having its companion volume, "Poems to Live Your Life By," I knew that this one would be just as beautiful. Riddell is my favourite contemporary illustrator and, although I have many of the poems within this collection in various other collections, the addition of Riddell's illustrations meant that I was eager to delight in this.
As expected, the book is beautiful. The covers are gorgeously decorated. The poems are nicely set
maria
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
like in almost every collection i read, this has poems i loved, ones i liked, ones that were just fine and others that went completly over my head, that being said it was a nice and entretaining read thanks to the beautiful ilustrations.
some of my favourite ones were:
-postcards from the hedgehog, A. F. Harrold

64 Squares by Rachel Rooney
Mad Girls Love Song by Sylvia Plath
Wedding Thoughts: All I Know About Love by Neil Gaiman
Dark Sonnet by Neil Gaiman
Love After Love by Derek Walcott (one of my all time fave poems and I was pleasantly surprised to see it included in this collection)
The Taste of a Biscuit by AF Harrold
Funeral Blues by WH Auden
Tomorrow When You Will Not Wake by Jan Dean

Teri B
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got hold of this book as audiobook from the local library. So I cannot say anything about the illustrations. The poems are fabulously read, the selection spans centuries and represent female and male poets possibly quite evenly.

Very enjoyable.
Kara Kozla
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The poems, chosen by Chris Riddell, fit the sections he had quite well. His drawings were simply amazing and fit the poems beautifully. The last section made me feel a bit melancholy, but they were beautiful in their own way.
Lilly
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
“Doubt thou the stars are fire,
Doubt that the sun doth move,
Doubt truth to be a liar,
But never doubt I love.”

- William Shakespeare
Geneva
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection beautifully illustrated.
Cindy
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Although I liked his first poetry collection more, there were still some really good ones in here! And the illustrations were breath-taking. A really fun book to read.
Pippa
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked his previous collection more.
Lakota FHCS
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Very very pretty book, beautiful cover, lovely illustrations by Chris Riddell but not entirely sure who it was aimed at.
Lara
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A spectacular range of poems and definitely worth picking up and appreciating.
Erin Lee
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a gorgeously illustrated book and Riddell chose a nice, diverse range of poems to include - lots of old favourites alongside more modern poems. I enjoyed that the selection was broken into themes on love.
Jane Branson
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Festive Spirits: Three Christmas Stories
  • Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Het wezen van de olifant
  • The Deathless Girls
  • I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable
  • Bee and Puppycat, Vol. 1
  • We Are All Greta: Be Inspired to Save the World
  • One Christmas Wish
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally