Start by marking “The Best Thing” as Want to Read:
The Best Thing

The Best Thing

Some things are easily forgiven. Other things… not so much.

Lenny DeMaio made herself a promise: she was done.

Done thinking about him.

Done worrying about him.

Done reaching out to a man who clearly didn’t want to be found.

Too bad no one gave Jonah Collins the memo.
Published August 7th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

shre ♡
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
mariana zapata could write a 9000 page fanfiction based on peppa pig and i would read it.

there is nothing this woman puts out that i would not put on a pedestal and worship.

READ: 08/14/2019

*4.5/5*

"Do what you have to do to be happy, okay? No one else is going to do it for you."

she's done it again ladies and gays. ms. mariana zapata never fails to satisfy. she also somehow manages to successfully write every trope she decides to tackle with perfection? i have too many emotions right now so
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
3.5 - 4 Stars
***Make sure you check out an important note I bolded further down***

Well. This book made me cry at the end. Which is a big deal. Because I RARELY cry. And I even more rarely admit to it.

So there’s that.

As all Zapata readers know, her books are slow. Super slow. And this one was VERY slow. Even more slow than usual, in my opinion. Certain things are very dragged out. Some dialogue and scenes felt superfluous...and endlessly meandering. Without purpose.

In fact, I was actually con
Corina
Spoiler free review

The Best Thing almost felt like it was written just for me. It was as close to perfect as it gets in regards to my taste.

I'm not kidding. The tropes, one is a secret one and can't be revealed, the characters, the story - it ALL synced with me. I was in one happy place reading this book. It's always a great indication if I read with a smile  on my face and if a book can make me laugh so hard I'm afraid I'll pee myself.

So here are all the things I loved about this book:

1) Lenny.
Natasha is a Book Junkie
Don’t mind me, I’m just here sobbing my heart out and my eyes hurt and my whole body hurts and half of it is because this book is so damn BEAUTIFUL and the other half of it is because there are no more pages for me to read. Mariana Zapata has outdone herself. THE BEST THING deserves a bazillion stars.
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
❥ 5 / 5 stars

Before reading this one, I have to say that I didn’t expect anything from its story since I picked it up just because its cover caught my eye and it made me want to read it.😂

But after finishing it, I think The Best Thing is a great book one, though. It doesn’t only focus on romance but it also focus on family relationships. And that’s why I love this book. Even if the plot is mediocre but Mariana Zapata’s writing is so captivating that I decided to overlook and forget about it. I al
Geri Reads
Aug 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @76%

Mariana Zapata's books have been on my to-be-read pile since her breakout book Kulti and Wall of Winnipeg & Me. And despite my friend's urging, I've been reticent in trying her books. For one, I find 500+ books intimidating. Two, I'm a moody reader and you guys know how that is.

But the blurb for The Best Thing hooked me right in and I knew that if I ever start a Zapata book, this would be a good choice. Plus, I was in the mood for slow burns.

Unfortunately, this one didn't quite go as
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]

Mariana Zapata is hands down, my favourite author of all time (also my only auto-buy author). I swear, she could write a book filled with my most hated tropes and I would end up rating it five stars, she's a magician. SO I WANT THIS NOW. Gimme, gimme, gimme.
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

The story went flat for me at the halfway mark - - however the ending was beautiful. ⭐
☽ TheBibliotheque
Jonah Collins said, gaze unflinching, "There's no choice, sweetheart."
It was my turn to swallow, and it had nothing to do with that dumbass term of endearment he'd used.

There's no choice either when it comes to loving a MZ. You just do.
And I did, I really did. Even if it wasn't what I was expecting and even if maybe - just maybe - I loved it slightly less than the all the rest of her books. Except for you, Locke, I still don't like you.

Oh sigh, I can't really say much more without saying too muc
Eva
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book. It made me laugh and cry, it kept me up at night. Mariana never disappoints. Her characters, no matter how small, are all so well thought out. I love the way she explores family dynamics. So good!
mel ♡
no one has ever made me excited about forehead touching or hand-holding like the one and only, Mariana Zapata.

first half:
ok gotta admit, when THAT thing happened 15% in i was a little iffy because i really don't like that trope at all and i was also iffy because with all MZ books, the MCs start off as strangers/acquaintances and that's actually my favorite part in her books because as a reader, i love it when i know the exact moment the hero falls in love with the heroine, but of course, the her
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
3.5-4 stars! Leaning towards 3.5. Though I liked Lenny and Jonah, I had a tough time connecting with them, especially Lenny. And I have to admit I didn't get into the book until halfway through, but that may have been because I've been in a slight book funk. But I DID love that Jonah is a big, 6 1/2 foot tall, soft, sweet boy with a heart of gold! And that epilogue? GOT ME SO CHOKED UP. WOW.

The slow burn queen has blessed us https://amzn.to/2YC4BiZ
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐2.5 STARS ⭐⭐ (Rounded down to 2 stars)
**SPOILER-FREE
Overall—let's start with this— I think it was a cute story.
My experience with this book is conflicted as until 13% (before the main trope is even being hinted at) I had started hating on the book. The main reasons? The juvenile characterization of the 30 years old heroine—a somehow usual trait for Zapata's heroines— and the writing that seemed to be at its repetitiveness peak—even for Zapata.

Heroine:
" Fuckface, deepshit, fucker, asshole, dic
arini
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
who'd have thought that fictional grandpas are the best?? who'd have thought at all that the most memorable character in a romance book would be a mere funny old man instead of the couple of which the book supposedly should be about?? (!!!)

i swear grandpa gus is the coolest, funniest, most caring and loving grandpa i've ever met. he might not be real, but all his wisdom, you can bet i will live by them for the rest of my life!!

the casts
i genuinely love every single character in this book. well,
Beth
Aug 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Editor needed!

Hey guys, did you know Jonah has honey coloured eyes? No, well Lenny only mentions them 37 times. Seriously this woman had an absolute obsession with eye colour and about halfway through the book I thought about turning it into a drinking game but then I decided my liver wouldn’t be able to deal with the sheer quantity I would need to drink.

Sadly I think I’m done with Zapata’s books. I enjoyed the first few but with every new publication I realise that she only has 2 love stories
Jamie
Ahhhh another book by my ALL TIME FAVORITE AUTHOR?! I cannot wait!!!

As always with this author, I loved it! I loved sweet Jonah and everything about this! I cracked up laughing at the part about his Stuart little voice!! I always love all of MZ’s H’s, but it was nice to see a little change this time around. That being said, I do truly love her typical H’s. I’ll take whatever I can get from her lol. That epilogue had me crying though!

ALSO I’m really glad I didn’t read reviews before I read this b
Danielle Rotko
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the one and only book of hers that I have ever given less than 4 stars to. I just couldn’t connect to Lenny and Jonah :( I felt like very little was ever happening between them, and not just in Mariana’s signature slow-burn way. I didn’t feel any of the spark I have come to expect from her stories.

And while it pains me to have not absolutely loved one of Mariana’s books, she’s still my # 1. You can bet I’ll be one-clicking her next one and the one after that and the one after that.

p.s.
julia ♥
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mariana zapata aka the queen of slowburn romance she will never be dethroned!!

EDIT: this had my all time favorite underrated trope and i LOVED it. 4,5/5 stars. Do you think Mariana zapata knows how to write a bad book???
akiko
3 Grandpa Gus Stars!

31 year old Elena (Lenny) DeMaio finally found a guy that she was smitten with, a little over 17 months ago, but then he left without an explanation, and he never responded to her texts, emails, etc.. Now she curses his name and 'hates' him...

30 year old, rugby player, Jonah Collins has some regrets about his decisions from the not so distant past, but he's set on making things right, now that he's sorted himself out...

I really wanted to love this story, but I was kind of bor
Bookgasms Book Blog
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ratula, shelly
There are so many things that can be said after reading a Mariana Zapata book but honestly I don't know where to start. But suffice to say each and every book is an amazing experience that makes me either outright full on ugly cry or die of belly laughs. In this case, with The Best Thing it was both. I absolutely DIED for Lenny and Jonah. Lenny alone stole my heart. Her snark and sarcasm and inner voice was so point I was either nodding my head, snorting in laughter or grinning like a loon. Ther ...more
Lady Heather

A review will be posted shortly.

Thank you, Mariana, for the amazing epilogue!

Whitney
Some things are easily forgiven. Other things… not so much.

Lenny DeMaio made herself a promise: she was done.
Done thinking about him.
Done worrying about him.
Done reaching out to a man who clearly didn’t want to be found.

Too bad no one gave Jonah Collins the memo.

Isn’t that blurb the most intriguingly vague thing you have ever read? I was dying to know what Jonah Collins did to Lenny DeMaio. Why is she done with him? Why was he hiding from her? Why must it be so unclear!?

The Best Thing is a slo
Ceki
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, slow-burn, romance
I know I'm in the minority here, but this book was a total miss for me. I was annoyed from the beginning until the end. If you are familiar with Zapata then you know that she is big on family relationships, but I was bored to death... to be honest. I just don't care about reading so much about uncles, sisters, grandfathers etc in general. I want the main couple to be in the spotlight without having dozens of cousins popping out every second page.

It didn't help that every chapter started with a q
Holly
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
Julia
Jul 27, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
FUCK. YES.
Kat
Aug 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Mariana's books but this one didn't connect with me. :(
Ivy Deluca
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Just for inspo but I needed a reference for Jonah Collins because dear Jeezus:

description

Ahem, ok. *smiles* onto the review.
The Good
Hmm. Football, soccer, rugby. Rugby, soccer, football. Not sure which order I’d put it them in, but if you know Ms. Zapata’s books, it’s the sports romances that I’ve enjoyed the most. This is no exception. In the interest of keeping this as spoiler-free as possible (and yes, I do think that going in blind is best), I’ll address some of the best (and not best) qualities of a c
Mia
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Best Thing had such promising start but halfway through book turn for me into disappointment. I really love Zapata writing and her slow burn books but this to me didn't have enough of angst considering what happened between Lenny and Jonah but I did like them together.Grandpa Gus was highlight of book for me and his relationship with Peter was cute.
It truly pains me to say that I only like it.
Katy
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was everything I needed and while much slower than her pervious stuff, which is saying something, and at times felt a little sluggish when taken as a whole this book was everything it needed to be. Sometimes real life is terrible and you just need something sweet in your life and Zapata ALWAYS delivers and I can’t thank her enough for this sugar sweet story.

OMG IT’S LIVE!!!!

If you need me over the next 24 hours too bad MZ has a new book and I’m out of commission.

I. Cannot. Wait.

Somet
Ros
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars

Oh god. It really, really pains me to write the next sentence, so I’m going to type it really fast and you’re going to read it in a whisper…

I didn’t really like this.

Ahh.

There I’ve said it; I can’t take it back.

It makes me a little sad to say that I wasn’t overly keen on this, because Mariana Zapata is definitely in my Top 5 Authors, and multiple books of hers are in my favourite all time reads. But for me personally this one followed Luna and the Lie in being a little bit, well, dull.
“The soft yellow ball was honestly one of the most thoughtful gifts anyone had ever given me. It was a decent replacement for the nut sacks I wished I could squeeze the hell out of when someone pissed me off.” 10 likes
“It changes the way you see things and people when you get teased for being yourself, like you’ve got some other choice in the matter.” 5 likes