Jump to ratings and reviews

Michaela McPherson #5

The Case of the Missing Parts

GRIPPING, SUSPENSEFUL & CHILLINGLY REAL

Michaela's love interest and Dottie's nemesis, Lieutenant Slade McKane, and the Richmond Police are puzzled by multiple murders where young victims are missing parts of their body. When a beautiful young mother turns up dead at a downtown hotel, the action escalates. Meantime, Michaela and Dottie, along with hero dog Angel, investigate medical malpractice and funeral home fraud only to learn more about mortuary science and body organs than they ever wanted to know.

188 pages, Kindle Edition

First published September 8, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Judith Lucci

62 books421 followers
Dr. Judith Lucci is an Amazon bestselling author who writes what she knows. She is the author of the Alex Destephano Medical Thriller Series and the soon to be released Michaela McPherson, Private Eye, a series centered on a retired homicide detective from Richmond, Virginia who really can’t retire.

“Before I wrote fiction, I was an academic writer who published research, theoretical works, text books and just about anything a nurse or college professor needed to publish to survive. The differences in academic writing and writing fiction are dramatic. Writing what I know propels me to pull from my clinical experiences, some good, some not and use popular fiction as a means to teach and advocate for others. My books have three purposes, to engage the reader, to entertain them and to educate about healthcare and perhaps, the darker side of hospital life.

I am a nurse and hold graduate and doctoral degrees from Virginia Commonwealth University and the University of Virginia. I have always been a reader and a writer and I love it. I am a member of the Virginia Writers Club, The Shenandoah Valley Writers and Sisters in Crime.

When I’m not writing I am probably teaching, paining on silk as I am a multi-media artist or playing with my many dogs. Please feel free to contact me at judithlucciwrites@gmail.com. I am excited about meeting you!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (2%)
1 star
5 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 44 reviews
Profile Image for Annemarie .
469 reviews4 followers
April 22, 2021
This story will definitely keep you turning the pages. Gruesome and terrifying in turn. The characters, both good and bad, have been well thought out and are quite believable. The downside? All the typos. Reminded me of a badly proofed A.R.C. copy.

Happy reading. Annemarie

I read this story in Dead Silent: A Boxed Set Collection
9,630 reviews100 followers
October 17, 2019
Another suspenseful story to get you hooked until the end. Another murder involves Michaela, Dottie and Capt Slade in the investigation. What a team. Definitely ready for more.
Profile Image for Ann.
1,013 reviews12 followers
May 12, 2020
It tends to be a bit gory maybe for some peoples stomachs. They were some men who were killing different people and murdering them and removing their vital organs so they can sell them for top dollar for people who need a kidney or liver and could afford to pay that much for them , instead of waiting on a list for them. They knew who they would choose. The funeral home they took the bodies to was in cahoots with these guys. He would burn the bodies together with others to be cremated. That is till some woman said that she did not receive HER husband ashes & went to investigate.
Profile Image for Kym Gamble.
371 reviews13 followers
June 17, 2021
The continuation of the Michaela McPherson series has Lt. Slade trying to solve grizzly murders where people's organs are being taken out and the person killed. Mic and Dottie go to the funeral home to try to figure out why a friend of theirs believes she did not get her husbands ashes and Dr. Chu the Medical Examiner has been beaten and threatened with death. It is a fast read and one that keeps you at the edge of your seat.
Profile Image for Ski Croghan.
608 reviews4 followers
January 2, 2022
They just keep getting better with every book!,

With every book they become more ' un-put-downable'!! I find that if I start one late in the day I will be up quite late because I just can't stop reading until find out how Mic, Dottie and Angel will outwit Snake and Vadim this time. It seems that this 2 villains are determined to make life miserable for our brave women and our heroic dog. He is really the star of the books. Highly recommended for all ages.
257 reviews
April 14, 2020
The Case of the Missing Parts

Fantastic read! Great characters and storyline. A retired cop teams up with an older lady to help solve crimes. They have been close for years, the older lady doesn’t like the others boyfriend, which is a detective. Great mystery of the sickos cutting out people’s “parts” and selling them. A definite must read
52 reviews
June 21, 2020
5 stars if only this series had good editing

I finished reading all the books of this series, Lucci builds strong characters and a good story line, but heavens the editing errors are atrocious. This distracted so much I almost didn’t read them. Please Lucci take the time to have someone read your books...each word in context.
Profile Image for Pat Grady.
55 reviews1 follower
August 22, 2020
Great series

Lucci can write with one hand tied behind her back...comfortably. These cases/books flow easily into one another, and are not at all tiresome to read in one go. Variety within smooth continuity. Likeable characters, and who wouldn't love Angel, retired canine hero?!
All in all, another highly readable series with a woman protagonist and her dawg;)
Profile Image for Roger.
3,914 reviews12 followers
Read
January 26, 2021
The Case of the Missing Parts: A Michaela McPherson Crime Thriller, my first read from author Judith Lucci which is pretty amazing considering I own 31 books by her going back to 2016. Now I see why I own so many books by her, an excellent read! "I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review." (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - July 24, 2018).
5 reviews1 follower
June 2, 2021
Not a bad book, but this is the 5th book and they have yet to catch the two main killers. Tired of waiting. They solve one crime per book but these guys always escape. The angry eyes but concerned faces are confusing...and happen a lot. Mixing emotions is not a good feel and sometimes have reread to nderstand. Ok beach or airport book...not really suspenseful to me
179 reviews1 follower
June 15, 2021
Review of this book.

Another heart pounding novel.You are awesome in the writing of these novels. Each one seems to get better and more exciting than the last novel! Keep up the excellent work! It is a good thing I have a strong heart! I enjoy your work. The excitement and excellent work you put in to the novels makes you a go to for enjoyable and excellent reading.
Profile Image for Louise Pledge.
1,121 reviews17 followers
June 18, 2020
For some time now, I have been receiving e-mails from Judith Lucci so finally decided to give her a try (it was probably a free book). It was a fun read, and it looks like I now need to read more of the Michaela McPherson stories.
568 reviews24 followers
September 12, 2021
Missing Parts

This is revolting, considering the content of the story. I know it’s a huge business when parts are harvested for money! However, I can also understand when a person is in desperate need they commit desperate acts! Great reading!
Profile Image for Phyllis Lamb.
6 reviews
September 29, 2021
Michaela

I loved these books from the first page until the last page. The books were well written. I have a German Shepherd Jake which was the reason I started reading the first book. I was unable to put the book down until I was finished, all 5 books.
44 reviews
March 15, 2020
Who’s next?

This was a great book with a very nice relevant topic. A couple of very competent detectives going after some folks that were making a bunch of money in a very sick way.
Profile Image for Anne Pyles.
47 reviews1 follower
January 20, 2021
I love your characters! You let me feel as though I know them, and want to hang out with them. This is another wonderful book and I heartily recommend it!
374 reviews2 followers
July 8, 2021
Great book

Please Judith, write another book soon. I really need to see Mic and Slade get married and solve more crimes togethrrr
120 reviews1 follower
July 22, 2021
The Best!

I’ve now read the entire series to date and this book is really awesome. Definitely recommend this book! Kudos to the author!
631 reviews4 followers
Read
November 22, 2021
In Dead Silent: box set collection. eighteen stories by Wall Street Journal, USA Today and International Bestselling Authors.
I did not finish, I find detective books with countesses etc tiresome.
November 5, 2021
Thanks

Hmmm

I love reading these books humidity

I love reading her books.Kendeli I am old also
A and I have nothing to do except sit and read
111 reviews
October 19, 2019
If you’ve never read any of the Michaela McPherson Mystery books before, you’re in for a treat! If you’ve read them before, you already know what I’m about to say, but I’m going to say it anyways. You’re in for a treat! Judith Lucci has created a family on paper and they all live within the pages of this series. The Case of the Missing Parts is Book 5 in the series, but each book is equally as good as the next one and each one is able to be read as a standalone or in order. Myself, I prefer to read the series in order so that I can savor each delicious bite, but to each his or her own…

So, on to Michaela and her latest shenanigans. Seems like lovely Michaela’s plucky sidekick the Countess Dorothy Borghase had promised to look into the case of a friend’s son’s ashes, who she said had been cremated, but what was returned to her were not his cremains but someone else’s. Dottie imperiously summoned Michaela to her house to accompany her to look into the case of the mistaken identity, but Michaela knew how to hold her own when faced with the overbearing countess. Knowing that time spent with Dottie took her away from her time with the handsome Lieutenant Slade McKane, Michaela was loath to spend too much time on what looked at first glance to be a grieving mother’s mistake. Michaela soon realizes there might be something worth looking further into.

Meanwhile, Slade is faced with a case as gritty as he’s seen in his career with the Richmond Police Department. Someone is taking organs from victims and selling them on the black market, and they’re doing it right under their noses in Richmond! They’ve got to figure out who is doing such a heinous thing before the body count continues to rise!

Profile Image for RO G'ma.
1,001 reviews35 followers
September 11, 2019
The Case of the Missing Body Parts is the fifth book in Judith Lucci’s awesome Michaela McPherson Mystery series. This fast-paced, page-turner kept me engaged from the beginning of the book until the end. The talented Ms. Lucci uses her written words and medical knowledge to give readers a story filled with suspense and tension. The story switches back and forth, providing the reader with the points of view of the good guys, as well as the bad ones. I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy reading books in the mystery, thriller, and suspense genre.

Michaela (Mic) McPherson is a retired Richmond, Virginia homicide detective who owns a restaurant and bar. She still enjoys investigating crimes and often works as a private investigator along with her friend, Dorothy (Dottie) Borghese. Dottie is in her eighties, loves to solve mysteries, especially with Mic and Mic’s retired police dog, Angel. Mic is in a relationship with Lieutenant Slade McKane of the Richmond Police Department, but Dottie is jealous of the time he spends with Mic. When Dottie’s friend Reva Rose, contacts her with concerns that she and her daughter-in-law, Allison, received the wrong ashes of her deceased son, Robert, Dottie promises her that she and Mic will look into and resolve the matter. Dottie and Mic discover that the funeral home and crematorium Reva and Allison used may be involved in illegal activities. Meanwhile, Slade and his partner, Detective Charlie Thor, and looking into multiple murders where the victims are missing one or more organs.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
4,254 reviews25 followers
September 20, 2019
Countess Dottie and Mic are a powerful duo, very ably supported by retired police dog Angel. Irish Cajun Lt. Detective Slade seems to lag and be a bit off with his timing, as well as being a bit domineering when it comes to Mic. Perhaps the man is trainable with a whistle, like the hero dog.

The thugs that have been chased all over the map are in Richmond as a part of an organ trafficking scheme. Mic going in without backup and Slade not being on top of his tech almost costs both the ME and Mic their lives. And the slippery thugs remain elusive.

Methinks either Slade needs a tech / responsiveness upgrade or Mic needs an upgrade in the beau department. My opinion? The dog is a bigger hero and not stuck on pr and ultimatums. He’s chip traceable and you know where he sleeps at night, unlike the disappearing detective, who disappointed Mic and stayed away for months before- yet still with the demands and dictums!

An exciting and action packed adventure!
Profile Image for Randi Robinson.
517 reviews8 followers
October 20, 2019
This book is part of the Michaela McPherson series but it can be read alone. Michaela and her dog Angel are retired from the Richmond Police Force but trouble still finds them. This mystery starts innocently enough when a friend of Countess Dottie receives the cremains of a loved one that has metal in it where none existed in his body. Michaela's boyfriend Slade McKane is investigating a puzzling series of murders where the bodies are missing organs. Is there a connection? Ms Lucci has written very informatively of the problem of black market organ procurement. The story is fast paced, informative, horrifying, and funny. The scene with Michaela and Dottie at the funeral home is hilarious. I look forward to the next installment to see what happens with Michaela and Slade. I wish to thank the author for allowing me to read and advance copy of this book.
Profile Image for Paulette.
494 reviews10 followers
September 19, 2019
Michaela McPherson, a retired homicide detective, her retired police dog, Angel, Slade McKade, Michaela’s boyfriend and Countess Dottie Borchese are involved in this case and other mysterious happenings in the 5th installment of this series. The Richmond Police Department is kept busy as bodies are being found around Richmond, Va with their vital organs having been removed. Although this may be considered a cozy mystery, Author, Judith Lucci writes a more in depth story line than most other cozies. I received an ARC from the author of this timely book regarding vital organs being sold on the black market.
The comments and review of the above are of my honest opinion.
104 reviews
September 19, 2019
I love a good medical thriller and Judith Lucci can always be counted on to provide one. Having lived in Richmond, I find it enjoyable to visit my former home and catch up with Michaela McPherson and her friends and colleagues. This time, someone is stealing organs and leaving butchered bodies behind. It’s a race to stop the slaughter before the next victim is targeted, which might be a little too close to home. The action is fast paced and the killers are frighteningly evil. Will they be apprehended or escape once again to terrorize another city? I can’t wait to read the next installment in this thrilling series.
Profile Image for Renee Arthur.
402 reviews3 followers
September 25, 2019
Mic, Angel and Dottie are at it again. One of Dottie's friends, Reba, supposedly received her son's ashes. The problem is that these ashes are not her son's. After visiting with Reba and her daughter-in-law, Allison, Mic and Dottie are off to the funeral home to supposedly pre-plan a funeral. There is something off about this funeral home, but Mic can't put her finger on it. Meanwhile Slade and Charlie are investigating awful murders. The victims are all missing body parts. This book kept me up reading half the night and I started right back reading with my not so early morning coffee. Great characters, action and a fantastic plot. I highly recommend this awesome medical thriller!
Profile Image for Michelle Ferrari-Johnson.
1,557 reviews35 followers
December 22, 2019
Digging For Gold

I have truly loved this series! Mic and Dottie are a riot but I am seriously annoyed with Dottie's never-ending hostility towards Slade.

This is one wild ride and hopefully not the end of Mic and friends~
75 reviews
September 20, 2019
I love stand alone books in series, like this one, where the main character(s) or hero/heroine(s) live and we get to see them again in future books. I love how the characters are fleshed out , to a point, so that you feel they are people you know in real life. The topic of black market organs, which I thought had been an urban myth, is a very lucrative business. The book is unputdownable, fascinating, with nail biting and nervous wreck moments, entertaining reading. The book would make a great movie.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 44 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.