Start by marking “The Age of Witches” as Want to Read:
The Age of Witches

The Age of Witches

Louisa Morgan, author of A Secret History of Witches, returns with another riveting tale of family, witchcraft, and love that spans generations, set in Gilded Age New York and London.

Harriet Bishop, descended from a long line of witches, uses magic to help women in need -- not only ordinary women, but also those with powers of their own. She must intervene when a distant
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Witches

Start your review of The Age of Witches
Ash
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of A Secret History of Witches
DNF ~25%.

Thank you to NetGalley and Redhook Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I read Louisa Morgan’s first book, A Secret History of Witches. It wasn’t a favorite of mine, but I enjoyed it enough that when I saw The Age of Witches on NetGalley, I thought it might at least be worth a read. I went in expecting more of what I got from ASHOW: a story that centers female characters and female relationships, a charming writing style, a lackluster plot, and a hint of
Leslie Pinson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, books-2019
This is a story of a young woman and her first excursions into magic and the effect it has on her life and those around her. There are strong female characters and close relationships.
Ally
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Oh my witchy goodness!

The Age of Witches is a neat little tale about three witches in 1890 New York City. Everyone's mother is dead, this has created some T-R-A-U-M-A and each witch deals with it a bit differently. It's a classic tale of good vs. evil but with its own spin. We get some familial drama, a little bit of romance, and a whole lot of MAGICK.

I truly loved this book. The main female characters were interesting and you felt for each and every one of them. Kindness and justice are a huge
Cam
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for the book to review. I found this book long winded and not my favorite when it comes to witchcraft. This felt like more like women being called witches due to their knowledge of herbs/ and they help others. The should have been called The Age of the Herbs and throw in a evil step mother to have a villain. The story didn’t do much for me but the writing style was great.
Cdhutson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This went by too fast. It had witches, magic, dark magic and a little but not too much romance
Tracett
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The Age of Witches is a fine blend of Victorian historical romance and a family saga of witches. Not my favorite of the three “witch” books Morgan has written but still a compelling read that had me reading until far too late into the night. I have loved her use of history and philosophical questions that run through her other two witch books but this one was a little light in that regard. Yes, there were deeper touches here and there but no more than you might read in many current historical ...more
Rebecca Goss
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written book that depicts the treatment of women with special abilities throughout history. Annis defies characterization of her time period because she rejects societal notions that she should behave in a specific way because she is a woman. Her step-mother has a streak of evil but the readers will see how she struggled throughout her life. I enjoyed this book immensely and recommend it wholeheartedly.
Evelyn Carrillo
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I stated reading this book and I absolutely love it. Great writing, great plot. I will add to this review when I finish reading it, but so far it is a winner.
Tanja
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young independent woman finds herself in the crossfire of spells and love in the latest novel by Louisa Morgan.

It’s the Gilded Age and 17 year old Annis, the heiress to an extremely successful stove company in New York City is ushered overseas to find a husband to secure her step-mother’s status. The arrangement reeks of magicked manipulation and the story takes a dark turn when the innocent become the victims of self-interested witches.

There are dark grimoires, magical spells, amulets, and
The Book Beggar
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The Age of Witches is a tale of love, ambition, desire, audacity and, most importantly, magic. The Bishop women have, for centuries, used their magic to achieve a certain end. While most are using that end to help aid others with cantrips and electuaries, potions for health and good fortune. Some use their magic to impose their will on others. Not knowing it, Annis Allington is part of this Bishop bloodline, trapped between her own will, and that of her stepmother. She soon discovers the truth ...more
Faith
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks Netgalley for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

“Witch should be a beautiful word, signifying wisdom and knowledge and discipline, but it isn’t used that way. It’s been made an insult, implying evil, causing fear. The word has been perverted.”

Pick up The Age of Witches for an exciting tale of a girl born to a line of witches with no knowledge of her family history. As she seeks to make her way in a world built for men, her step-mother seeks to use dark magic to manipulate
Cheryl Henry
Jan 14, 2020 marked it as to-read
(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Kasey ♥
**Disclaimer: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.**

I've been embracing a lot more historical fiction lately. The feelings you experience while reading "The Age of Witches" is how you feel while reading "A Discovery of Witches" - it's mystical and romantic, but more realistic than fantastical. ADoW has Daemons, Vampires, and Werewolves, whereas TAoW has only "hedgewitches," and "herbalists."

The romance between James and Annis leaves much to the
Rose
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stayed up late reading "The Age of Witches" by Loisa Morgan. While you can see pretty much what is going to happen in the end, this was still a book worth reading. I loved reading about witches and the different lines of the Bishop witches. How one uses their abilities to help others and the other for their own gain. These two lineages are warring against eachother with two young people in the balance. While this wasn't a thriller in that I wasn't on the edge of my seat, I still found it hard ...more
Reece
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC from NetGalley

3.5

This was a lovely read. I found the herb lore and witchery quite fascinating. The romance was lovely and not over done. The relationships between the women were complex and satisfying, and I quite enjoyed the relationship between Annis and her Bits. It was a good look at what holding grudges and never taking a step out of your past can do to a person. That said, I don't have any sympathy for Frances. She was a horrible person. Growing up poor is not an excuse to be a garbage
Karen
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Based in London and New York... a witch helps women in need and must also help when her cousin tries to change two people's lives. One could be a witch!

This story has the theme of a wicked stepmother plotting for her stepdaughter so that she can become even stronger and richer in society.

There is very little mystery but the story has a strong message of women in solidarity.

Thank you Goodreads.
#Goodreads #TheAgeOfWitchs #LouisaMorgan
Gisell
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is original, inventive and entertaining. Louisa Morgan, once again, does a marvelous job of transporting the reader into a time so vividly described that it is easy to immerse oneself in the story. The pace of the novel is wonderful and the characters are well thought out and relatable. Another definite must read!
Don
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Releases April, 2020, I read and advanced reader copy. Ok, so I didn’t finish it. Read a little more than a quarter. Don’t really remember why I started it. Probably because of the “New York, Golden Age” blurb. There was a lot less of that and more of the women clashing trying to control each other. Not for me.
Kay
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
read for LJ review. My verdict: The Age of Witches is a must-read for people who like magic, love, and a little bit of feel-good feminism.

it's very reminiscent of Deborah Harkness' All Souls Trilogy mixed with Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth
Betty
Review coming soon.
Karena
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Debbie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Age of Witches, I love reading about witches and this book did not disappoint me, a little bit of everything in this book such as Magic, love, romance and of course Spells. First time reading with this author Louisa Morgan and I hope to read more of her work. I received this e-book from Goodreads giveaways.
Cheryl Henry

• The Last Smile in Sunder City
  • One Way
  • American Magic: A Thriller
  • The White Man's Guide to White Male Writers of the Western Canon
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Acid For The Children
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Of Silver and Shadow
  • Race the Sands
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller!