Start by marking “Stone Hill: Shadows Rising” as Want to Read:
Stone Hill: Shadows Rising

Stone Hill: Shadows Rising

In the vein of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, or H.P. Lovecraft.
A subterranean horror thriller full of monsters, suspense and mystery.

Shadows creep beneath the sleepy, small town of Stone Hill.

Michael came to visit his grandparents, but the home he once knew has changed beyond recognition. A demigod church leader is in control and performs bizarre miracles to a congregation
Published October 2nd 2019 by Dark Venture Press (first published September 4th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Hill

Start your review of Stone Hill: Shadows Rising
Jay Williams
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although this book starts a little slow, it quickly warms up when Michael moves in with his grandfather in a town controlled by a church cult. The story shows how a charismatic person can use hidden knowledge to capture and control large groups of people. This is a horror story, and it has all the blood-curdling action you would expect in a horror story. The suspense is at a fever pitch for the last third of the book. Just when you think the problems have been resolved, the very end provides a ...more
Linda Watkins
This was a fun read. At the beginning, the main character, Michael, is weighed down by guilt over his father’s death. As a result, he’s acting out – hanging around with a bunch of losers, shoplifting, drinking, and getting high. His mother has had enough and ships him off to Stone Hill to visit his grandparents for the summer.

But Stone Hill is not as he remembered it. No, the town is now under the control of a religious cult led by a supposed messiah, Pastor John. No one is allowed to leave and
D.Hartman
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, horror
If I had to summarize the premise, it would go something like this: Troubled youth is sent to sleeping town to get away from it all, but is instead thrown into the middle of chaos as a cult tries to take over said town. Then the creatures that go bump in the night are added to the mix.

The story has its ups and downs, mixing in the swiftness and adaptability of youth with the wisdom and experience of the elderly. Emotional ties and friendship (old, new, fake and real) are a recurring theme as
JenniferJ
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once the story began I had to check and make sure this really wasn't a new Koontz book because if you're a fan of Dean Koontz then this will be right up your alley! Suspense and Horror galore! I read the bulk of it in one sitting because I found it fast paced and had an interesting story line. I never really could feel a connection to Michael the main character though as hard as I tried but it didn't take away from the excitement. Naturally I rooted for the "good ole boys" and despised the cult ...more
Gchat Madhu
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is the cult that owns everything in town, including people's health and safety. There are the black monsters, that kidnap people after dark and drag them to underground labyrinths. Michael finds himself in the middle of a violent melee, when he visits his grandpa's place in Minnesota. Will he be able to overcome his dark past and help others or will he become a victim himself.

This adventure has loads of action, with some horror, religion and alien technology thrown in for graphic effect.
Billie
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing gem of a horror read here.
So suspenseful and I could not put it down.
Wonderful well written plot and storyline.
Adore the characters and how they were fleshed out.
Reminded me of early king and Koontz writing.
Really enjoyed this and hope to read more from this author.
Highly recommend reading!!

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this novel; this in no way impacts on the content of my review.
Katlin Musial
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had a slow start until Michael gets to the small and creepily controlled town of Stone Hill. Once the action hits, it does not stop clear through to the end of the book. If you are a fan of the show Supernatural, this will definitely be up your alley with dark monsters from the pits of hell, a disturbed pastor and a quaint town that is secluded from the world.

I'm looking forward to see how this series fleshes out.
Heather Bane
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really great book. Had me drawn in from the beginning and kept me interested throughout. The story is very well written and characters are well developed. I’m looking forward to reading more from this author. I highly recommend reading. (I received this book as an arc and am leaving a voluntary honest review)
Jennifer Svenneby
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an Advanced Reader Copy of this book and I couldn't put it down! It's been years since I read a book that kept me up until 4 a.m. but I was too caught up to put it down. I can't wait to read the next one!
Chantel Ellingson
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A real page turner! Leaves me wanting more
Julie Passanisi
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stone Hill: Shadows Rising will hook you from the first page! The story is based on 3 young kids that have to figure out how to right the wrong of what is decimating their small town.
Susan Rasmussen
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely tuned in to a Stephen King vibe!! LOVE the suspense! Can't wait for the next one!!!
Kiet
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I’m a fan of all genres as long it is well written and has a solid plot. I hope to read more from this author!
Vicky Peplow
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. I received a free copy for my honest review.
It started a little slow but one I got a few chapters in, it really picked up and couldn't put it down.
A great first book for a series. Look forward to reading the next. Well done.
Anthony Mantuano
Dec 11, 2019
Katy Wall
Oct 07, 2019
Dean Rasmussen
Aug 09, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Laurie Amenta

• A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
  • All the Children on the Porch: a short horror story
  • Shepherd's Warning
  • The Damned Place
  • Valerie's Verdict (Dixon Brothers #2)
  • Paranormal Mysteries of Eurasia
  • The Ritual
  • Black Dog
  • Unreasonable Doubts
  • THE WORLD'S STRANGEST TRUE ENCOUNTERS: FATE's Library of the Paranormal and the Unknown (The Best of FATE Magazine)
  • The Instant Champagne Expert
  • Kitty Confidential (Pet Whisperer P.I. #1)
Dean Rasmussen grew up in a small Minnesota town and began writing stories at the age of ten, driven by his fascination with the Star Wars hero's journey. He continued writing short stories and attempted a few novels through his early twenties until he stopped to focus on his computer animation ambitions. He studied English at a Minnesota college during that time.

He learned the art of computer