Start by marking “The Shrike & the Shadows” as Want to Read:
The Shrike & the Shadows

The Shrike & the Shadows

Men have gone missing before.

The village of Krume is plagued by a haunted wood and a hungry witch. It’s been that way for as long as Hans and Greta can remember, though they have never seen the witch themselves; no one has.

When men start to disappear once again in the cover of night - their bloody hearts turning up on doorsteps - the village falls into frenzied madness.

Ha
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by The Parliament House Press

To ask other readers questions about The Shrike & the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shrike & the Shadows

Brianna Sugalski
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Shrike and the Shadows is a disturbingly dazzling venture into the depths of not only the woods, but the dangers of human-townsfolk psyche—and the horrifying truth behind folklore. Readers (and most certainly fans of dark historical films "The Witch" and "The Village") will enjoy Gadoury and Wright’s inventive take on Hansel & Gretel, and the bloodthirsty entity hunting them.
Pretty Little Bibliophile
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read Gadoury’s work before and being an avid lover of them, I was totally excited to pick up this Hansel and Gretel retelling! The Shrike and the Shadows is truly one of a kind, and I have never come across such a retelling before.
The book was really full of emotions and action throughout – there was never any boring part and each word weaved together with the other to fulfill the reader's appetite and also kept him wanting for more. There is an amazing brother-sister bond and the world-
Kat Mullen
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
“Brooding is not an answer.”
Gotta love it when your main character calls out the guy and Greta was not taking shit from anyone.

This is not the Hansel & Gretel retelling you share with your kids. It was dark and twisted and it was so interesting to see this take on the story as I’ve never read a H&G retelling.

I was a bit confused over the timeline, such as how old Hans and Greta were when their mother died and how long Barin has been around, but as this was an arc (thanks Chantal for the
T ❄
Sep 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
I’m very intrigued by this. Dark fairytale retellings that make me feel like I’m in the middle of a terrifying enchanted forest are the BEST. I can’t wait to pick this up, and the cover is beautiful too.
Erica Farner
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Shrike and the Shadows is a brilliant retelling that takes the familiar, flips it on its head, and cranks it up to one thousand. Right from the start, readers are sucked in with the complex characters and high stakes, and it never stops the whole way through--with twists and turns, mysterious back stories, spine-tingling thrills, and a spooky atmosphere, it's got something for everyone.

I had the pleasure of serving as the editor for this book, and I genuinely think it may be one of my favor
Tracy Auerbach
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So excited for this one!
Sasha
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trigger warning: sexual assault

I love fairy tale retellings. I especially enjoy them when they add an entirely new dimension to the story, as Chantal Gadoury did in The Shrike & the Shadows. This is a dark Hansel and Gretel retelling, but it really only keeps the bare bones of the original tale: the siblings, the woods, the witch. It's recognizable, but not trite or overdone, nor does it rely on the tropes of the original children's story.

I definitely got a Salem Witch Trials vibe from the b
Christina
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
When Hans and Greta are forced to wander deep into the witch’s woods after their village turns on them with accusations of witchcraft, the siblings come face-to-face with their darkest fears.

Gadoury and Wright were able to take the beloved fairytale of “Hansel and Gretel” and give readers a fresh take on their journey, while still maintaining the magic and darkness of the original tale. The imagery the Gadoury and Wright were able to create is brilliant, creepy, and great for an autumn night in.
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"It will be a fearsome trial, my love"

Gadoury and Wright bring a wonderfully written dark retelling of a classic fairytale. The Shrike & the Shadows is a creepy, enthralling tale. An absolute must read! 5/5 stars

**I received an eARC for an honest review "
Yang Soraya
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling retelling of Hensel and gretel that leaves you at the edge of your sit! I love the chemistry between the characters. Chantal never fails to wow me with her writings👍🏻
Juliana
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this dark and enchanting retelling had me on the edge of my seat!! this is a Hansel and Gretel retelling escalated to 100 and is wickedly beautiful! a must read if you are a fan of books like to kill a kingdom and a curse so dark and lonely. 5/5 stars absolutely!!!
Morgan Shamy
Love!!!
Kira
This is my teaser review. A full review is to come closer to the March 3, 2020 publication date. In the meantime I leave you with this.

When you mention to me that a book will have dark spooky woods, is a retelling of Hansel and Gretal, has a witch who takes the hearts of men and boys, and that it’s a series... well then sign me up for that ride! This tale weaves all of these components together with suspense and a dynamic sibling relationship. The use of the story being told mostly through the
Eno Wijayah
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Shrike and the Shadows is a spellbinding retelling of Hansel and Gretel. I knew from the first chapter already that I would absolutely love this twisted story. It's dark, it's compelling, it will break your heart. I truly had a hard time putting this down.
Maureen
Aug 20, 2019
Ronald Galleher
Aug 20, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Adding Second Author 11 20 Aug 12, 2019 11:46AM
Chantal Gadoury is an Amazon Best Selling Author who is originally from the countryside of Muncy, PA. Chantal likes anything Disney, plays a mean game of Disney trivia, enjoys painting and has a interest in British History. Chantal first started writing stories at the age of seven and continues that love of writing today. As a recent college graduate from Susquehanna University, with a degree in C ...more