Start by marking “The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)

The Gashlycrumb Tinies

(The Vinegar Works #1)

The Gashlycrumb Tinies: or, After the Outing is an abecedarian book written by Edward Gorey that was first published in 1963. Gorey tells the tale of 26 children (each representing a letter of the alphabet) and their untimely deaths in rhyming dactylic couplets, accompanied by the author's distinctive black and white illustrations. It is one of Edward Gorey's best-known bo ...more
Published November 5th 1998 by Bloomsbury (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Gashlycrumb Tinies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gashlycrumb Tinies

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldFallen by Lauren KateNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
Best Book Cover Art
6,713 books — 6,064 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
3,804 books — 6,879 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Apr 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is not a book review so much as a fulfillment of a request by ladies whose whims i cannot refuse...

R(est) I(n) P(ubescence): A Study of Child Mortality in Battle Royale and The Gashlycrumb Tinies as Historical Documents

edward gorey was an american illustrator, and as such his children, or "tinies", meet their ends in very american ways. they all have "accidents" befall them. (excluding the suspiciously-like-suicide situations of zillah, neville, and james) this book is seemingly representat
Amalia Gavea
“A is for Amy who fell down the stairs.

....naturally, I would start with my name, right? Right?

I feel so bad saying how much I enjoyed this one....It's Edward Gorey, people! One of the artists that defined the Gothic illustrating style as we know it today. Influenced with Victorian and Edwardian elements, this alphabet book is everything an alphabet book shouldn't be (...and I am not making any sense...) because it's morbid to the core. But I loved it. And I am a teacher. And what does this sa
Calista
I loved this little book. I love Edward Gorey. This is a book of ABCs and each letter is how a child died. I know this is macabre and quirky. I think being the end of my trimester and drained of sleep, I simply was dying laughing at each page of this book. I don't know why. It was the release that I needed apparently.

The art is classic Gorey and only he would be quirky enough to use ennui. This is amazing stuff and I think this stuff is rather brilliant. And, it is a good stress reliever, appar
Annet
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark, kids, weird, fantasy
or... After the Outing

Wew, weird, dark, absurd.... but intriguing...
In short, A-Z alphabet but a morbid one. Children who tragically parted with life...
A is for Amy who fell down the stairs...
B is for Basil assaulted by bears...

And so on until Z.
Black & white drawings. Absurd, the weirdest collection....
Second Gorey for me, what an artist....

Anyone have a recommendation for my next Edward Gorey?
Nandakishore Varma
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have a love-hate relationship towards creepy children's books. During my childhood, they used to scare the hell out of me - in those days the enlightened souls who wrote children's books were of the opinion that scaring the living daylights out of a kid was the best way to ensure that he grew up to be an upright human being. But I went back, again and again. They must have inculcated the enduring love of horror that I have today.

This is an alphabet book - or A B C book as we Indians call it -
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
Every time I read a disturbing book, I'm gripped by the thought of wanting to make my future children read it (don't know what that says about me). I mean, this book is perfect- a perfect cocktail of morbidity, poetry, beautiful art and the funnies.

This is a book about 26 children (or as Gorey calls them, tinies) each for a different alphabet who meet a Gorey (heh) end.

It's beautiful!

And it's a book with a lesson- we all are mortals, we're all bound to die sometime.

Bah, fairy tales with high
Florencia
I've met the guy that inspired the awesome Tim Burton, finally. And as I figured, his weird awesomeness is breathtaking.
This is a book apparently for children (it is NOT) that, with quite a morbid sense of humor, teaches the alphabet. Twenty-six ways to die and lovely pictures describing each one of them.
This would have been such a funny way to learn the alphabet, although I'd probably be a hypochondriac or a sociopath by now. Who knows.

My letter is F

f
Now that's a bad way to go.

Nov 10, 13
* Also
David Schaafsma
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gn-children
Probably Gorey's most famous work, clever and lightly (?) sardonic and meticulously crafted. An abecedarian book. Told in dactylic (look it up!) couplets about each of 26 (one for each letter of the alphabet) children and how they met their untimely deaths. Sound horrific? It's very fun and funny and for all ages. I have read this book many times, and own it, as you all should.
Darwin8u
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
C is for CLARA who wasted away
D is for DESMOND thrown out of a sleigh

description

A clever, short, picture book. Think of a macabre, Victorian 'Dumb Ways to Die', decorated with dark drawings of 26 children named from A (Amy) to Z (Zillah). The pictures and words describe all the ways this alphabet soup of children met their unfortunate ends:

K is for KATE who was struck with an axe
L is for LEO who swallowed some tacks

As you can see, most of these child deaths find themselves as a link in a dark couplet. Anyw
Ronyell
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dark children's books fans!!!
Twenty-six different ways to die!

Now, I am no stranger when it comes to reading dark and morbid books for children since I had read children’s books such as “Halloween ABC” and “The Spider and the Fly” which were just as morbid. But “The Gashlycrumb Tinies” was one of the first children’s books I have read that is about several different ways for kids to die! “The Gashlycrumb Tinies” is a picture book written and illustrated by Edward Gorey and it is a book that will truly cause every reader’s
Daniella
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially those with a morbid sense of humor
Recommended to Daniella by: Cari
"N is for Neville who died of ennui."

Ha! Perfection!

The Gashlycrumb Tinies is a work of utterly fantastic macabre hilarity. It's one of those books you cackle maniacally over while flipping through it after a run-in at the local Mega-Mart with some snot-nosed brat screeching and howling because Mommy wouldn't let him get that ridiculously expensive new toy or some treat with 20,000 grams of sugar.

And it never loses that special ghastly charm. Quick, simple, and simply hilarious, it's enjoyable n
Michael
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
A singsong story
by Edward Gorey
full of cheerful black and grey illustrations

each one of a kid
at the moment they did
meet a tragic and early termination.

By wolf maw and knife
they depart from this life,
by drowning, falling and decapitation

until each one is slewn
and their bodies are strewn
all about Gorey's morbid imagination.

The funniest aspect of this, I believe, is the way each picture shows the child right before the tragedy occurs. For instance, the girl about to die of poisoning is shown sitt
Coos Burton
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arte
Si alguien deseara conocer el estilo de Edward Gorey, sin lugar a duda "Los pequeños macabros" sería mi primera recomendación. No solo porque se pueden apreciar perfectamente los rasgos característicos de los niños de Gorey, sino porque es de lo más fúnebre y mórbido que tiene. Básicamente, un ABC de niños cuyas muertes fueron indefectiblemente trágicas.
Stacey (prettybooks)
The Gashlycrumb Tinies is an adorable, morbid way to learn your ABCs. I especially loved 'K is for Kate who was struck with an axe'. I don't know what that says about me.
Gerry
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An alphabetical romp through various escapades undertaken by diffent people, all of whom look likely to meet an untimely end such as "N is for Neville who died of ennui" (my favourite) as he stares out of a window prior to presuambly departing this life! The usual ghastly interesting illustrations from the author add to the overall effect.
Sue
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, humor, read-in-2012
Wonderful, almost indescribable. Do yourself a favor...go and find a copy of this perversely delightful little book immediately. Enjoy!
Michelle Morrell
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, x-read-2016
Gorey's most famous alphabet book, set to rhyme, begins "A is for Amy who fell down the stairs" and continues on with a litany of gruesome accidents, churning its way through 26 very unfortunate children, accompanied by his delightfully dark drawings. I used to have this in poster form, but alas, it too fell to disaster. But happy day (ironically), it comes in book form. I bought this at Left Bank books in Pike Place Market, "the anarchist bookstore." Support your local small bookstores! http:// ...more
Emm - Haunter of Quiet Libraries
The moral of this, children - just don't be born into an Edward Gorey story. An axe through the frontal lobe is not very good for your health. Being eaten by a bear may also disrupt your promising future. It's just better not to.
Kimberly
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I originally purchased YEARS ago, that was later "acquired" by someone else.... I just bought myself a new copy, and had nearly forgotten how clever the words (and illustrations!) were.

*Not a children's book--but it is a "fun" read! ;) *
Greg Brozeit
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
An A-Z of macabre ways different children die. As awful as that sounds, this is a fun, quick read. The highlight:(view spoiler)
Miriam
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture

Mia  Bakhthiar
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Right. This'll give me nightmares.

I don't know why I do this to myself.
Suzy
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love a good convergence! Two weeks ago, I pulled this book as part of my Friday volunteer gig at my neighborhood library. It caught my eye and I thought I'd have to check it out soon. On the same day, I saw this wonderful tribute to Sue Grafton of the "Alphabet Mysteries" from NPR's Fresh Air . https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/01...

In it she said . . . "she got the idea after reading Edward Gorey's alphabet picture book, The Gashlycrumb Tinies, in which children die in grisly ways ("B is fo
Lauren
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Pro-tip: if you use this book to teach your kids the alphabet, Child Services will appear instantaneously and take them away.

In other words, this is delightfully morbid and perfectly illustrated, and I think my favorite is "B is for Basil, assaulted by bears."
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From A to Z - Gorey will make you smile at the numerous ways Death will meet you when it is your time.
Esteban del Mal
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
It has dawned on me that Edward Gorey stole all of my good ideas. Before I ever had them.
Gustavo Offely
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
description

Estranha combinação: lenga-lenga e humor negro. Os desenhos também: bonitinhos mas mórbidos.
Jaksen
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this years and years ago, but since I just re-read it - it takes about ten minutes - I'll put it on my count for 2017. This book is small and darkly, horribly funny. I bought copies and sent one to a friend, another to my 8-year old grandson who kept looking at me while he read it...

As if to say, am I allowed to laugh at this? I then explained 'dark humor' and promised to take him to the Edward Gorey house next summer. (I went in 2015.)

The story here? No story, just an alphabet of unfort
Kwoomac
One of my favorites. The combination of Gorey's intricate drawings and his matter of fact dialog just kills me. I like to use this book as a barometer of whether or not I can be friends with someone. I often give this book to new parents.

My favorites:

N is for Neville who died of ennui.
W is for Winnie embedded in ice
Trudi
I've filed this as a "childish delight" but make no mistake, while it reads like a child's rhyme, it's really meant for adults. You could quite possibly scar a child for life by making this a bedtime story :-D An absolute classic, and not to be missed!!!!
Goodreads Librari...: Issues with one edition of "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" 3 17 Dec 22, 2014 02:32PM
Goodreads Italia: I piccini di Gashlycrumb - Edward Gorey 2 23 Dec 04, 2013 11:59PM
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 1 1 2 Nov 14, 2012 08:12AM

• Good Faeries Bad Faeries
  • Childhood Is Hell
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
  • The Book of Bunny Suicides
  • Sabine's Notebook (Griffin & Sabine #2)
  • Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors
  • Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes I
  • Elephant House; or, the Home of Edward Gorey
  • Saddest Place on Earth
  • The King's Agent
  • Gnomes
  • The Charles Addams Mother Goose
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more

The Vinegar Works (3 books)
  • The Insect God (The Vinegar Works, #2)
  • The West Wing (The Vinegar Works, #3)