Start by marking “Smalltown Boy” as Want to Read:
Smalltown Boy

Smalltown Boy

It's 1983. London has everything and Maxwell Atkinson is determined to experience it all.Following years of cajoling from his childhood friend Hannah, Max abandons his uninspiring life for a weekend of opportunity and excess in the big city. Captivated by those who inhabit a world of nightclubs and saunas, Max makes the decision never to return home and forges a friendship ...more
Published August 5th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Smalltown Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smalltown Boy

Dean Cole
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent debut - though I suspect this may not be Amelia C Wilson’s first work judging by the skillful writing.

Twenty year old Max Atkinson lives an unfulfilling life in a northern English village, enduring constant berating from his contentious mother. An offer to escape to London with his best friend, Hannah, proves irresistible and he travels to the big city feeling excited about what this land of opportunity might offer.

He soon becomes acquainted with a group of H
Roberta Blablanski
Wilson's debut is nothing short of spectacular. It's an epic tale of a gay young man who moves to the "big city", London, and gets a crash course in debauchery. The group of friends he surrounds himself with, with the help of his childhood best friend, introduce him to all the things his mall town existence wouldn't ever imagine.

Max is flawed, and some of his decisions are more than questionable, but Wilson still manages to make the reader root for him. He's young and sheltered, and London is t
Silvia Hildebrandt
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
---- SPOILER WARNING -------

I loved this book. Loved the characters, the setting, and dialogue.
Amelia Wilson is a great storysteller.
The writing style was superb, and the story interesting.
Max moves to London to dive into the night life. Always seen as a wallflower, he enjoys meaningless sex, until he falls in love and discovers he is HIV-positive.
I very much recommend this book!
Karen
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I really struggled to get into this book. I found Max annoying and borderline childish. I almost DNF.

Something - probably my stubborn nature - convinced me to continue. The second two thirds picked up enormously. I still wasn’t sure about Max but I decided I did now care about him enough to want to know how it ended.

It is harsh and stark in its depiction of the AIDS crisis of the 80s and as such might not be a book everyone wants to read. The writing definitely improved a
Maria Lima
Sep 16, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
I really, really should've read the entire description. CW: AIDS
BIG nope. Could not finish. I did not need to read a book about the AIDS epidemic. For those of us who lived it, there's nothing more I need to know. I don't need anymore angsty-gay books. Nope.

Kent Schuelke
Ilani K.wise
Oct 02, 2019
Gay Dreaming
Oct 21, 2019
Amelia C. Wilson is a purveyor of romantic subplots, pantser extraordinaire and occasional smut pedlar from the North West of England, who views the 20th century as her literary toy box.

Her novel Smalltown Boy was heavily influenced by research she did for her dissertation whilst studying History in 2013. It was published through Amazon on the 5th of August 2019.