Start by marking “The Awfulizer” as Want to Read:
The Awfulizer

The Awfulizer

Published August 22nd 2019 by National Center for Youth Issues

To ask other readers questions about The Awfulizer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awfulizer

Start your review of The Awfulizer
Etienne
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story about «guilt» or feeling ashamed and how to go through that and move on. Well done and explain for kids to understand and learn from it. Important subject! Not the best artwork in the industry but good enough. I like it!
Christi M
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A picture book that focuses on how to help children address and respond to those negative thoughts that float through the brain when we feel like we’ve done something wrong or don’t live up to our own expectations.

Thoughts:
In The Awfulizer, James is on his way to school when The Awfulizer (a green monster who wears a bowling hat with a purple flower) introduces himself. James thinks it is a bit weird that no one else on the bus can see or hear him. Later at school, The Awfulizer pops up again
Erin
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
He may be kind of adorable, but the Awfulizer is just awful! This book puts a name and image to the nagging self-doubts that haunt everyone. James notices that the Awfulizer grows bigger and more powerful the more he tries to ignore it. Finally he confesses to his sympathetic parents, who introduce him to...the Awesomizer! This book avoids a preachy, self-help feel by illustrating what James does to fight back, in the hopes that children will imitate it. Tips at the back offer advice for parents ...more
Becky
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Awfulizer is a sort of self-help book for kids experiencing shame. It shows that everyone goes through moments of shame and self doubt, but to not let it get to you and that it helps to talk to friends, family teachers... anyone. That it is normal and okay to feel bad, but it doesn't mean you ARE bad. A good book to read together with parents or even in school.

Thank you to NetGalley and IBPA for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Lauren Paletta
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book on the power of shame and what it can do to you, especially when it festers. The awfulizer gets to everyone. You say something or do something and you can't stop thinking about it. It gets stuck and you feel worse and worse about it till it makes you feel like nothing. A book every child needs to read and every parent needs to be aware of.
#Netgalley
The Nashville Wife Reads
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is a phenomenal and incredibly important book. I don't even know where to start.

-1- The art is adorable!! Every kid will love it, no matter the age.
-2- Putting a name and a picture to "shame" is such a new concept and its brilliant. So so SO many kids (and lets face it, adults too) struggle with shame (me included) and it's just not something talked about enough. This is so incredibly exciting to see not only this concept being brought out into the light (finally!) but also through
Jenn
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Where was this book when I was a kid?! I loved Kristin Maher's The Awfulizer, absolutely loved it. It beautifully depicts what shame is and what it does to you at a level that kids can understand. Even as an adult, I could relate to this book. The use of this big green monster as the Awfulizer is just genius and shows us how to overcome this sense of shame and negative emotion by making such a monster smaller and smaller. Overall, a lovely children's book that I will recommend to my parents of ...more
Leah Horton
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic story to show children how normal It is to feel shame and guilt. The monster who tries to tear them down form the inside can be defeated by speaking up. Talking to parents. Friends. Teachers. Always talking and creating a positive feeling inside themselves.

I loved this book. It had a heavy topic but the message was clear.
Emme Huffman
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story that teaches children how to deal with shame and embarrassment productively. The child in this story is haunted by a shame monster who grows bigger as the child becomes more embarrassed. The child talks to his parents and learns that embarrassment and making mistakes is normal, and our mistakes don't have to define and follow us.
Kristen
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A topic that is hard to discuss for kids and adults alike is tackled in such a creative way with tips at the end that are great reminders. The illustrations are bright and colorful and the characters are those that are likable and are able to be related to. It is a great book for anyone to read and reread.
Leigh
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I think this book is one that has a home in a lot of classroom, SLP, and guidance libraries in elementary schools. It does a great job putting a name to the little voice telling a child all the things they've done wrong and does a great job normalizing it. I will certainly recommend it to my colleagues.
Nita Creekmore
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Awfulizer, is a much needed book that discusses that negative voice in your head that brings on shame! The Awfulizer can make you believe lies about yourself that just isn’t true. It helps kids of all ages realize that they are their own Awesomizers by talking about the feelings they feel.
Victoria
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute fun story about teaching children what shame is, how it feels, and how to get through it in a healthy way. My six year old son could easily understand the point and told me a bunch of different times he felt the awfulizer. Illustrations are perfect and don't distract away from the story.
Isabelle
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, netgalley
The Awfulizer by Kristin Maher is a cute little book that teaches children that it's ok to be feeling things but that you can't let them overwhelm you and that you shouldn't try to keep them all inside. This book gives the overwhelming feeling of not being good enough a name and face, and teaches children how to fight back against it. The illustrations are beautiful and I also like the tips for helping children become Awesomizers at the end of the book.
Libros Happy Sany
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Awfulizer: Learning to Overcome the Shame Game es mucho más que un libro infantil. Nos da herramientas e ideas sobre cómo combatir las emociones negativas, sean estas las que sean y además a plantarle cara a todo lo imaginario que nos hace perder la autoestima, a sobreponernos a la vergüenza y aprender a ser mejores personas.

Creo que es un libro que todos deberíamos tener a mano en casa. Una lectura que he disfrutado mucho, con unas ilustraciones muy bonitas y que nos hablan por si solas
coffee
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-book
I wasn't sure what to expect when I requested this book but I'm really glad I did read it. This book is about learning to deal with feelings of shame and anxiety, and talking to people you trust about it instead of keeping it bottled up. It may seem like such a simple answer to the problem but cultivating that self-worth and self-love at a young age is really important. While short, the book helps create trust and dialogue between children and adults. Recommend it!
Esther Lombardi
Sep 23, 2019
Jessica Burkett
Dec 04, 2019

• Hide-and-Seek: A First Book of Position Words
  • Le grand voyage (Elma, une vie d'ours, #1)
  • The Chalk Giraffe
  • Duck and Penguin Are Not Friends
  • Back to Christmas
  • The Child of Auschwitz
  • Can You See Me?
  • A Little Bit Different
  • Bully B.E.A.N.S.
  • Besos de sol, abrazos de luna - Sun Kisses, Moon Hugs
  • The Art of Watercolor Lettering: A Beginner's Step-by-Step Guide to Painting Modern Calligraphy and Lettered Art
  • Unicorn Training
  • One Is a Lot (Except When It's Not)
  • My Day-by-Day Prayers