Start by marking “Chicken Licken” as Want to Read:
Chicken Licken

Chicken Licken

(Ladybird First Favourite Tales)

Chicken Licken believes the sky is falling down and the world is going to end when an acorn falls on his head and decides to go and tell the king. Along the way he meets others such as Ducky Lucky, Heny Penny, Goosey Loosey, Turkey Lurkey ... then at the end they meet Foxy Loxy who invites them into his lair....
Published 1969 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Licken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Licken

Start your review of Chicken Licken
Clare Browne
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story is an old classic and was a favourite of my mother’s to read to me when I was growing up. I was re-introduced to this brightly illustrated book in a Year 1 classroom, where all the children showed a great love for the book also. The story is based on Chicken Licken who thinks the sky is falling down. Chicken Licken runs to warn the king, however we must find out if he and his friends are in danger!
This book is ideal for helping beginner readers develop reading stamina, some versions
Shirley Revill
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG I really hate this book but my children and grandchildren loved this story. I therefore award it five stars but I think Chicken Licken has a lot to answer for in the great scheme of things.
Dane Cobain
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an example of a “cumulative” or “chain” fairy tale in which the story slowly builds up by adding new characters. Bit of a weird moral, though.

Luthfayah
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A story about a chicken who got hit on the hear with an acorn and was adamant the sky was going to fall and the world is coming to an end! Seems far fetched but a lovely read! Chicken Licken meets different animals on the way (Turky Lurky, Ducky Lucky, Goosy Loosy, Henny penny, and at the end Foxy Loxy) who he convinces they should join him to go to the king to let him know the sky was going to fall. We used tat the Fox trihis book for drama lessons in a reception class which the kids absolutely ...more
Mira Sibug
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story taught me how to read and love it. My mother bought a read-along copy and I remember playing it over and over and over, following the narrator.

I forgot the title and lost the book as I grew older but been searching for the title ever since. All that I can remember is the line, "...then an acorn fell from the tree."

Found it last night on the internet, read it again and yes, I am happy.
Jack Middleton
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Judith Johnson
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
There’s a wonderful YouTube going the rounds at the moment of a Scotswoman reading a story about a donkey out loud to her infant grandson, and I think Chicken Licken comes into the same category of repetition coupled with the kind of wordplay and rhyming sounds which little children love so much.

Like The Big Pancake and The Gingerbread Man, this is the cautionary tale of not perhaps always trusting the offer of help from strangers. Think my grand=daughter will love it!
Stephen Theaker
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wanted to read something special for my 4000th book read, so I came back to the first author I read for pleasure on my own. Did not expect it to be so topical. Love Peter Barrett’s illustrations too, especially the foxes’ expressions at the end.
Krisz
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like it that not all children stories are fairy tales. It was good to establish with my 4-yr-old in the very beginning that CL is a silly little chick...
The pictures are beautiful (Peter Barret).
Isca Silurum
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The basis of Trump and Farage's political campaigns. OK for children, but dangerous when used to deal with country bumpkins and rednecks! :-(
Liam
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A shocking tale of cunning deceit and brutal murder. Has some lovely pictures in too.
Katrina Lybbert
I really like the illustrations in this version.
Zoe Snowdon
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The worlds greatest book. Written very well with a beautiful art style.
Dancingsocks
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my childhood favourites
Phil Syphe
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can't remember anything about this except for the cover, but I read this children’s classic a few times in childhood. Reckon the last time would’ve been when I was eight or nine, circa 1983-4.
Marts  (Thinker)
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Now who didn't enjoy the tale of Chicken Licken, Hen Len, and all the others?!
Pamela
Jan 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • Best of All (Wemmicksville, #4)
  • Vanished (Private Justice, #1)
  • The Second Story (The Magic Misfits, #2)
  • The Inner Life of Animals: Love, Grief, and Compassion: Surprising Observations of a Hidden World
  • The Ugly Duckling
  • You Are Mine (Wemmicksville, #2)
  • He Who Fears the Wolf (Konrad Sejer, #3)
  • The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2)
  • The Angel Maker
  • Сонячна машина
  • Walden
  • Ein Sommer in Venedig
  • The World’s Worst Teachers
  • Diary of Greg Heffley's Best Friend: World Book Day 2019
  • Slugboy Saves the World
  • Midnight

Ladybird First Favourite Tales (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
  • The Enormous Turnip
  • The Gingerbread Man (First Favourite Tales)
  • Goldilocks & the Three Bears
  • Jack and the Beanstalk
  • The Little Red Hen (Favourite Tales)
  • Little Red Riding Hood (First Favourite Tales)
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • Magic Porridge Pot (First Favourite Tales)
  • The Sly Fox And Red Hen (First Favourite Tales)