Start by marking “Rain and Embers” as Want to Read:

Rain and Embers

A raw and unfiltered debut, Rain and Embers explores far-reaching themes of migration, trauma, abuse, racism, religion, philosophy, intimacy, love, loss, forgiveness, and redemption.

Ali Nuri was born to a Shi’a family in the southern marshlands of Iraq at the height of the Iran-Iraq War. As a persecuted religious sect, they were attacked by the tyrannical government under

Published August 5th 2019 by Lion's Den

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Aug 05, 2019
    My poetry is influenced by Khalil Gibran, Hafiz, Fernando Pessoa, E.E. Cummings, and T.S. Eliot.

Rain and Embers, while not purely chronological,

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 639 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 08 - Dec 20, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Rain and Embers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain and Embers

Start your review of Rain and Embers
    Andy Marr
    Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is an absolutely stunning collection. With its recurring themes of love and loss, landscape and migration, war and trauma, it offers a realistic, and frequently heartbreaking, portrayal of the enormous difficulties faced by migrants in this troubled modern world. An important, beautiful and brilliant debut from Ali Nuri.
    Richard Derus
    Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
    Real Rating: 4.75* of five

How does an Arab immigrant to the US, living in Las Vegas...possibly the most American place on Earth's surface, parched and dry and hot and gaudy...process his fragmented identity? Who is he, why is he that person, and most of all...why should you care?

Because identity as an American is front and center in the life of the country in the 21st century. Because the answers to those questions matter more than ever. Historically immigration has stirred violent passions in
    Emily
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: poetry, favorites
    This collection is compelling, from the cover to the very last page.
    Ali sets the emotional and creative tone from the very beginning.
    How it rains fire from "cloud-shaped planes" to the dedication about Jeffar,
    communicating in a way that transcends verbal speech despite mutism.
    Duality seems to be rooted in almost every aspect of this book.

"For Jeffar
    autism does not define you
    nor do mute reflections
    render you speechless
    you spoke in smiles,
    the only words
    worth hearing"

Rain and Embers is the
    Ali Nuri
    Sep 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
    Shelves: poetry
    How do I review my reflection?
    Do I leave the stars starless?

I am at war with myself yet there's nothing civil about it. One day I'll feel like God, made wholly in his image, and some days I protest against the divine, my mouth opening to consume countless sins, devouring every root because there's a noose around my neck and I need to be in motion.

Death is just stagnation, so then the wind must be immortal. Salivating for salvation, I inhale the air 'til I have my fill of my meaningless
    Velvet
    Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Beautiful

"fuck poetry I write reality, a language created through an alphabet of hurt, suffering in stark black lines— a calligraphy of emotions, every letter an ocean"

Thank you to the publisher for this ARC.

Heavy at times, this is poetry for the brain, rather than the heart. Though my heart was touched many times while I read this. He talks about being branded, escaping his country and being the wrong color. But there is love in this poetry as well. It balances.
    Sybil Vinson
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The poems in this book are vivid, beautiful, sad, imaginative, harsh, insightful, amazingly wonderful!

I loved every poem, some brought tears, some brought smiles,
    some brought anger, others blew me away because
    they were so intense.
    Each poem held me in its grasp from beginning to end!
    The poet has much to be proud of, he has give this book of poem
    a life of it own. Congratulations to this poet/ writer!!! Well done, my hats off to you!!!
    Super poems, amazing ink!!!!!!!
    Tori Miller
    Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I don't typically read poetry, but I loved this book.
    Conni T
    Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    My husband introduced me to this book today and I read it one sitting. The poetry contained within its pages is truly beautiful.
    Alfred  Garrotto
    Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
    In Rain and Embers, Ali Nuri, an American of Iraqi origin, has written a tell-all about his challenging life and the great love of his life. But, in the words of Emily Dickinson, he has "told it slant." Meaning that he uses the medium of poetic storytelling. I especially identified with and enjoyed his poems about the one great love of his life. Nuri's early life as a refugee seeking asylum and safety from oppression can only be described as something no child--anyone--should ever have to ...more
    Joan P. Foley
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Drawn right in

I was drawn deep into the emotions of this author right from the beginning including his heartfelt and poetic dedication. His words drawn so beautiful on each page. I didn't put it down. It consumed me and I keep it close to feel his words again and again. I highly recommend this book of poetic expression. It speaks about love, hurt, diversity, feelings of not belonging , and survival. Beauty and goodness can simply grow in a child's heart....even in a desert.
    Megan
    Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A friend recommended this book and I was hesitant at first. One of the most varied books of poetry that I admired more with each poem. The author knows how to grab attention and hold it while I contemplated on what I could relate to. With today's topics of discussion, this book has a place of importance across time.
    Jesse
    Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
    There is beauty in this collection of poems, but as a whole it didn't consistently resonate or move me. It was a worthwhile read for it's best moments though. The best Nuri is when the subject is that of the refugee experience that the author knows so personally.

"We are nomads, home remains elsewhere / as foreign as the lands we left and the ones we now dwell on"

Within this context, the poet asks to be seen in my favorite poem as simply "something more than less."

Ashraf

• Essential Bukowski: Poetry
    • Bright Dead Things
    • Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver
    • They Called Us Enemy
    Ali Nuri is an Iraqi American poet and the author of Rain and Embers (2019). He was born in Diwaniyah, Iraq, but was raised in the U.S. after fleeing persecution. He holds a B.A. in urban planning from Edinboro University. His work has been featured in several articles and reviews, including Tweetspeak Poetry, Scriptable, the Erie Reader, and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    “I'm afraid of waking up
    to a world where you see
    and I am not what you saw”
    10 likes