Start by marking “De kleuren van schaduw (Schemering, #2)” as Want to Read:
De kleuren van schaduw (Schemering, #2)

De kleuren van schaduw

(Shades of Magic #2)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  83,718 ratings  ·  12,268 reviews
Het is vier maanden geleden dat de steen in het bezit van Kell kwam. Vier maanden sinds zijn pad dat van Lila Bard kruiste. Vier maanden sinds prins Rhy gewond raakte en de beruchte tweeling van Wit Londen werd verslagen. Nu, rusteloos sinds hij is gestopt met het smokkelen van magische goederen, wordt Kell ’s nachts geplaagd door duistere dromen, en overdag door herinneri ...more
Published August 12th 2019 by Boekerij (first published February 23rd 2016)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about De kleuren van schaduw, please sign up.
Troy Osman As Travarse maybe? Not sure if travel literally only means between worlds or through time as well.
Victoria Schwab It will be adult. Here on Goodreads, my author profile is linked to my full name, which is why it's attributed that way. On the cover it will be V.E.

·  83,718 ratings  ·  12,268 reviews

Start your review of De kleuren van schaduw (Schemering, #2)
Emily May
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, arc, fantasy, 2016
Delilah Bard had a way of finding trouble.

I just love everything about this world. Read it in a single day and I cannot wait for the next book.

I think I'm a bit of an unintentionally picky reader when it comes to fantasy. A lot of YA fantasy is heavy on the romance and low on the substance, which irks me, but I don't take much pleasure in overlong, dense, wordy adult fantasy series either. I want exciting world-building, strong characters and good pacing that doesn't sacrifice depth. And I feel
Victoria Schwab
Apr 25, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
“I know where you sleep, Bard.”
She smirked. “Then you know I sleep with knives.”

It's hard to believe that A GATHERING OF SHADOWS comes out in less than three months!!!
Petrik
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It’s unbelievable how I started this book with the lowest possible expectation and it still managed to disappoint me. I know this is a beloved book in the YA community, you might wanna stay away from reading this review if you’re easily offended. Seriously stay away.

I think it’s better for me to start off with the parts I like about the book first, there’s only a few anyway. First, Holland, every single appearance from him made the plot and the book so much better, despite his appearance being rarer than
Miranda Reads
description

She bent most of the rules. She broke the rest.
There are four Londons, layered on top of each other, each existing without knowing of the other.

Black London - wild, untamed magic. All-consuming madness.
White London - crippled, desperate, hungry magic. Slowly dying.
Red London - vibrant, thriving, full of magic
Grey London - the "boring" London, no magic, no spark, no nothing.

Each world is sealed though a special being(an Antari (ultra-rare, ultra-powerful magician) can travel between (like Kell, from Red London).

Years ago, Black London fell to the mad magic and was completely sealLondonmagic
Greydying.
Redmadness.
Whiteother.
Black
emma
I'd like to propose a contender for the worst feeling in the world: going into a book with 100% certainty you’ll like it, and then that confidence slowlyyyyy - almost imperceptibly - fading into hatred. Especially when the average rating of said book is a four-point-f*cking-three-five.

But I can’t not hate this book. So much of this is nightmare scenar
Kai
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The prince shrugged. “Who needs magic when you look this good?”

This book set fire to my feelings and shattered my mind. Tore my heart into pieces and stole my soul.
I am officially and utterly dead.

Victoria Schwab worked her magic like a genius. This book was flawless, from start to finish. From cover to characters, from plot to setting, from language to imagination. And while I thought A Darker Shade of Magic was amazing, it was only the tip of the iceberg. Nothing can compare to
Hannah
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My spoiler discussion is now up on my channel!: https://youtu.be/jTE6aTbosjU

THAT ENDING DESTROYED ME SOMEONE GIVE ME THE NEXT BOOK RIGHT NOW
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Authors of series like to do this thing where they give you a first installment that while, of course, leaving unanswered questions, still manages to conclude nice and neatly.

You can't wait to get your hands on the next book, but only b/c you love the story and are desperate to see what happens next.

You feel safe when you finally get the next chapter.

The tension that plagued you while reading the prior installment, coming ever closer as you neared the end, like footsteps speeding up behind you, maReads
4.5
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 A Darker Shade of Magic ★★★★★
#2 A Gathering of Shadows ★★★★★
#3 A Conjuring of Light ★★★★★

I cannot believe that I waited nearly a year between the first book and this one, but here we are, and now I’m convinced that Victoria sacrificed an unhealthy number of virgins for her writing skills, because this series is absolute magnificence. I loved A Darker Shade of Magic so much that I was nervous to see if the second book would hold up, but let me tell you, it absolutely did, and now I am both horrified and desperately
Ben Alderson
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS SERIES IS EVERYTHING TO ME..
THIS SEQUEL WAS AMAZING
i need the next book..
omg
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
LOOK

LOOK

I got to read more of the bad arsed, Lila Bard and Kell and Rhy! Yay!

I loved the beginning of this book with Lila. People for me, this was the best part of the book with what all Lila did to that crew! Holy crow!

I am Delilah Bard, she though as the ropes cut into her skin. I am a thief and a pirate and a traveler. I have set foot in three different worlds, and lived. I have shed the blood of royals and held magic in my hands. And a ship full of men cannot do what I can, I don't need any of you. I am one of a damned kind.

I also fell in love with Lila's captain aboard the Night Spire - Captain Aluccard Emery. He's so awesome! He is a little bit of this and a little bit of that and a whole lot of coolness =)

Not a whole lot goes on in the book after the fun stuff in the beginning. I feel it's just another set up for more things to come in the next book.

At some point though, magic welders come together in The Element Games called Essen Tasch. Some people I didn't expect were in these games and against each other. It was pretty damn cool!

I loved reading about Kell and Rhy together again. They are so funny and caring. They are so close in everything they do and it was so wonderful to see them fighting for each other. To read the things that only love for someone you consider your brother can bring to your heart. Rhy wants Kell to compete in the games but Kell doesn't want to for certain reasons.

"Kell. My greatest fear in life isn't dying. It's being the source of someone else's suffering. I know you feel trapped. I know I'm your cage. And I can't---" His voice broke, and Kell could feel his brother's pain, everything he tried to smother until dark and drown until morning. "You will do this, " said Rhy. "For me. For both of us."
Kell held his brother's gaze. "All right,"he said.

And Lila and Kell get to see each other again. And Rhy too, the whole gang. It was so great! And then . . . that ending!

Something Wicked This Way Comes

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List
jessica
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
okay. i knew this was going to be good, but i didnt expect it to be that good. oh sanct, that ending. im giving this five stars for the last 100 pages alone - my heart is RACING. and im beyond happy the third book is already out because i dont know how people managed to be patient enough to wait.

so where i thought the first book excelled in its world building by introducing the four different londons and their histories, i found the sequel gave amazing insight into the characters, more of their dev
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

*laughs hysterically*

*choking sound*

Why, thank you, Victoria Schwab. Please don't mind my heart.

No, really. Feel free to crush it. I don't do holding grudges.

Much.

4.5 stars . Truth is, when I started A Gathering of Shadows, one of my best friend asked me if I thought she would like, and strangely, I wasn't able to answer straight away. Color me surprised. How comes this series holds such a strong grip on me and still I am hesitating when recommending it? I understood, then. These books? They sneak up on you.

*laughs hysterically*

*choking sound*

Why, thank you, Victoria Schwab. Please don't mind my heart.

No, really. Feel free to crush it. I don't do holding grudges.

Much.

There's honestly not that much action in the first halves of BOTH of them and yet you're never bored. You're enchanted, mesmerized like a child reading HP for the first time (YES, I'M GOING THERE), your eyes widening at the sight of this wondrous, original world served by its fascinating and real characters for whom you can't help but care deeply, including :

a kickass thief who's giving strong female-lead a new name (that's Lila, by the way) : Remember my complaints about Feyre in A Court of Thorns and Roses? I expressed how tired I was of the beloved (GAG) pattern implying that the only reason women fought was for their families, as if women couldn't, for the life of them, be badass for the thrill of it. Lila made a liar of me. Thank you, Lila.

"Delilah Bard had a way of finding trouble.
She'd always thought it was better than letting trouble find her, but floating in the ocean in a two-person skiff with no oars, no view of land, and no real resources save the ropes binding her wrists, she was beginning to reconsider."

a loyal magician whose doubts and outbursts make you want to both smack and hug him (but mostly, hugs). Eaten by guilt, confused by his sudden thrives for darkness (am I bad to love that part?), in need to adapt to his bond with his brother, so freaking alone and caged, Kell stays one of my favorite characters because he's flawed and brave and endearing and oh, yes, often wrong. (MY FROWNING BOY!) (in redheads I trust) (←how could I NOT love him now tell me?)

"You could at least pretend to be grateful."
"And you couldn't have picked something a little more...I don't know...imposing?"
"...A bloody handprint?" retorted Rhy. "Oh, what about a glowing black eye?"
Kell glowered.
"You're right," continued Rhy, "I should have just drawn a frowning face. But then everyone would know it's you."

a deceptive Captain who may or may not be a pirate (how's this for awesome?). Okay, okay, I have to admit that he made me narrow my eyes several times at first. What? I come from a loyal bunch (frowning boy, remember?). But in the end, his character added so much wit and fun to the story that he won me. Also, that development? YES YES YES.

"Alucard had shaken his head, exasperated. "The accent of a royal and the sensibilities of a thief."
But Lila had only smiled. She'd said something very similar once, to Kell. Before she knew he was a royal. And a thief, for that matter."

a lost prince who's endlessly trying to keep darkness at bay : Oh Rhy, Rhy, Rhy. I cannot say that I always agreed with his choices, but the complicity between him and Kell - the loyalty - prevents me for holding any grudge (if I was into grudges, that is)

"There was a new restlessness to his motions, a taut energy that mirrored Kell's. And yet, Rhy's was different. Manic. Dangerous. His moods were darker and their turn sharper, cutting the span of a second."

✔ ... Oh, and those assholes (you know who I mean) (there're plenty to choose really)

As for the plot, although I was more than excited to come back into this world, and that Kell and Lila own a special place in my heart, I have to admit that I spent the beginning feeling restless because I longed for them to be together - not necessarily romantically (WHO AM I KIDDING) (THE CHEMISTRY!! GAH!), but really, their interactions? They're the best, and they both balance each other's perfectly. Separated, they lose a little bit of their charm in my opinion.

But.

Now that I finished the book, I understand why Victoria Schwab made this choice and the last 40%? Brilliant, exhilarating, and as far as I'm concerned, PERFECTION. There's something to say about a fantasy plot that stays unpredictable, because trust me, when you read a lot of fantasy, it becomes rarer and rarer. This is why I'm rounding up my rating.

Give me thrill, give me peril, give me gasps, and I'm the happiest reader of the world.

My heart, though.

For more of my reviews, please visit:
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“You tried to seduce me, for information.”
“You can’t hold that against me forever.”
“It was last night.”

PART ONE: CHARACTERIZATION
Alternate Title: mecrying.mp3

Kell is such an infinitely relatable bitter asshole of a character. He's a bit morally imperfect and he's so infinitely lovable.

Lila is completely bitter and can be reckless, but she's such a consistent character and I genuinely love her so. so. much. Please read this essay talking about Lila Bard and narrative agency it's smart and I'm exhausted

Rhy's chara/>Alternate
karen
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best fantasy category 2016!

Lila shrugged. "Everyone's immortal until they're not."

this is one of those crossover dealies that isn't marketed (or priced, unfortunately) as YA, but there's no reason for it not to be in the YA section, from a reader perspective. from the publisher's perspective, obviously it's always better when you can set your cover price in the ten bucks higher adult-market range, but since this is such a pretty book, i'm okay with that THIS TIME, even2016!
Lila
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Wowowowow. If you have not picked up this series yet, pick it up now. Right now.

I feel I can't even put into words how I feel about this book - but I'm going to try anyway.

To start, I liked "A Darker Shade of Magic" (book #1 in this series) a lot - but I wasn't out of my mind in love. I liked the characters and the world building was so unique and engaging. The story was good- but it left me wanting more to happen to the characters (which was perfect, because I knew there was a sequ
C.G. Drews
Reread July 2017:

Ohhhh good book is GOOD the second time round too. Who'd have though, right?!? I'm so glad I'm rereading this series as it's basically my FAVOURITE and I am trash for anything Schwab writes. Also can she please chill on hurting the precious magical children. I love them. And it's raining on my face.

Smol List Of Loves In The Reread:
• basically Kell x Lila refusing to acknowledge they have FEELINGS
• so adorable. ship it
• also Older Protective Brother Kell™ is my/>Smol
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
I SALUTE ANYONE THAT HAD TO LIVE MORE THAN AN ENTIRE YEAR DANGLING OFF THAT BRUTAL CLIFFHANGER OH MY HOLY FUCK

Remember when I called A Darker Shade of Magic a slow-burner? HA. Well. This one just burns you alive and makes you enjoy every fiery second of it. WHAT A RIDE.

I'm far too impatient to get on with the next book, so here's a random assortment of my thoughts and feelings on this glorious work of new adult literature...

(((kindasorta spoilers incoming)))

Things I thought I wouldn't like:

• Lila and Kell being separated for the most part
• New major characters aka Alucaincoming)))
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Kell would say it was impossible. What a useless word, in a world with magic.”

🌟 I respect Schwab’s ability to excel in all components of the stories in her books. This Savage Song had a great plot, Vicious was all about the characters, City of Ghosts is an all round book for younger readers and this series has amazing world-building.

🌟 After enjoying the first book and everyone hyping this book for me and s
Claudia Ramírez
OH NO YOU DIDN’T, VICTORIA.

I LOVE THESE CHARACTERS SO MUCH, AND WHEN KELL CRIES, MY HEART BREAKS.

AND RHY. SUCH A PRECIOUS PRINCE. SUCH A PRECIOUS BROTHER. PLEASE LET HIM BE HAPPY, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? MY SWEET BABY.

Lila, you must save them all.

4,5 stars.
Samantha
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 - Barely anything happened in this book. There didn't need to be a full book to set up the little bit that happened at the end. 2.5 stars because it's neutral. Not horrible (I liked the new characters) but it felt like a waste mostly. Video review to come.
Ashley Nuckles
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simultaneously laughing and crying. Can I give this book more than five stars? Because it deserves at least forty.
Clara
** 5+++ "I’M OBSESSED AND IN AWE" !! stars **

It’s official, this series now has a hold on me and it won’t let go. I’m in love with the writing, the world and the characters ! This series has definitely made it to the top of my all-time favorite series with this second installment ! It’s been a while since I absolutely loved everything about a series or felt so invested, but I have to say these books gave me everything I’m looking for when I read a book !
description
First off, let’s be honest, this second install
Sana
Edit: oh my god what the fuck was I thinking a year ago writing this review. I have issues

UNMARKED SPOILERS EVERYWHERE!!!!

AND SWEARING, LOTS OF IT EVERYWHERE

AND EXTREME HATE ON LILA THE GARBAGE CAN EVERYWHERE!!!!

I’m not even kidding when I say this book pissed me off to the point where I physically felt the need to rip the goddamn fucking pages and fucking burn them and throw this fucking book out the goddamn window with every ounce of strength I've fucking got. I !! was !! so !! fucking !!/>UNMARKED
Anne
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the 1st book, A Darker Shade of Magic, didn't blow me away. I liked it, but I just didn't quite love it.
Interested, but not invested.
Which means I didn't rush out to grab a copy of this one, because I just wasn't sure how excited I actually was to read it.

description

However, my trepidation was unwarranted. A Gathering of Shadows was so much better than I expected it to be! There was this whole connection to the characters thit.
Interested,
Beth
2.5 Stars.

My initial thoughts going into this book... I quite liked A Darker Shade of Magic, well this is now 508 pages, this is going to be long, but it has a 4.32 average on goodreads so it must be good right?! Oh you fool Beth.

Where do I even begin with this? If you love this book I’d suggest you don’t read this because I honestly couldn’t stand it. I don’t think I’ve been so let down by a second book in a series since Glass Sword, and we all know how that went. I just don’t understand how it went
Pouting Always
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I found the second book to be better than the first honestly, it's pacing was a lot better and the tension built all way to the end so that I felt like bursting when I finished the book and it left off where it did. Also I really liked seeing Lila soften up a little and get a less controlled version of Kell. I know there's been a lot of hype around the books so people end up not liking it as much because of their expectations but I think if you go into without expectations I think it makes it wa ...more
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*screeches and runs to Amazon to order ACoL IMMEDIATELY*
Melanie
1.) A Darker Shade of Magic ★★★

Readalong for the BooktubeSFF Awards which is being hosted by Adriana from Perpetual Pages, Chelsea from TheReadingOutlaw, Samantha from Novels and Nonsense, Connor from Connor O'Brien, Elizabeth from Books and Pieces, Kaitlin from Kitty G, Sam from Thoughts on Tomes, Elena from Elena Reads Books, and Thomas from SFF180!

Four months have passed since the events that took place in A Darker Shade of Magic. The dust has settled in Red London, but the memories and repercussions are still haunting our princes.

And in this world there are four parallel Londons that coexist in this universe:
Grey London - (smells like smoke) i
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Here we are again with 3 stars.

I keep wanting to reason with myself that this book deserves both a higher and a lower rating... I guess I am going to have to settle with 3 stars. There is a great amount of potential in this series.

Schwab's writing style is delicious to read, I mean she really knows how to paint a picture for her audience. Her writing style alone accounts for at least 1.5 stars of my rating.

I think my main problem is, even though I like some of the characters present here, I don't really

• This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
  • Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
V.E. Schwab is a pseudonym of Victoria Schwab.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Shades of Magic (3 books)
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
  • A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3)
“She bent most of the rules. She broke the rest.” 548 likes
“Oh yes, your relationship with Miss Bard is positively ordinary."
"Be quiet."
"Crossing worlds, killing royals, saving cities. The marks of every good courtship.”
309 likes