Start by marking “Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning” as Want to Read:
Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning

Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning

A ruthlessly honest, emotionally charged exploration of the psychological condition of being Asian American, by an award-winning poet and essayist

Asian Americans inhabit a purgatorial status: neither white enough nor black enough, unmentioned in most conversations about racial identity. In the popular imagination, Asian Americans are all high-achieving professionals. But
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by One World

To ask other readers questions about Minor Feelings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minor Feelings

Start your review of Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning
Nursebookie
When I heard about this book and received an Advanced Readers' Copy, I was drawn to the title and the author. I read it in a span of a week, because I wanted to thoroughly absorb, understand and really read Cathy Park Hong's words in this collection of incredibly powerful and raw essays that spoke to me as an Asian American woman. I felt that for once, someone put into words what I have felt all along but I never really had the courage to speak out loud or acknowledge, and Hong explains why, ...more
Megan
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for this e-ARC, all opinions are my own.

Minor Feelings by Cathy Park Hong is a collection of essays on race not from the binary of black and white, but through the experiences of what she deftly points out is a difficult label - Asian American. The first few essays feature memoir and cultural critique that it personal and a profound look at how white supremacy ensures that no matter how hard someone strives for the power and privilege that whiteness gifts, they will continue
USOM
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I don't normally read non-fiction, but when I saw the title of this book, I knew I had to check it out. Minor Feelings is a thought provoking series of essays tackling elements of the Asian American experience. I'm not actually sure where to start this review. Minor Feelings had passages that made me pause. As a Chinese American there were similarities and differences to my
John
"The Rise of white nationalism has led to many nonwhites defending their identities with rage and pride... ...But a side effect of this justified rage has been a "stay in your lane" politics in which artists and writers are asked to speak only from their personal ethnic experiences. Such a politics not only assumes racial identity is pure -- while ignoring the messy lived realities in which racial groups overlap--but reduces racial identity to intellectual property.
...
"The soul of innovation
Emi Bevacqua
Mind-blowing exploration of the background, history and insidiousness of racism pertaining to Asian Americans. So up to the minute current it's meme-able. Cathy Park Hong says stuff I've thought about but could never put so eloquently, yet she also inserts awful images in my head that I can't get out.

I don't like reading poetry or philosophy, but Minor Feelings was like a strange combination of the two that I couldn't get enough of. Park Hong's research, analysis and writing are all amazing;
Sejal Shah
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading. Hong's writing is sharp, the personal stories, Asian American history, and cultural critique are necessary and vital. She's also a tremendous essayist--some sentences stopped me in my tracks.
Audrey
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was an insightful and a really smart collection of essays. I loved how Hong effortlessly wove in so many topics within one essay. They are incredibly raw and honest but are still so readable. I especially enjoyed the last two essays, especially because more people should know about Yuri Kochiyama.

I received an arc from the publisher but all opinions are my own.
Nina Powles
This book blew my mind. It'll take me a while to fully process it, but it was all at once validating, challenging, haunting, wonderful, and frightening. I think it's a text I'll be returning to again and again throughout my life. Essays written by poets often tend to knock the breath out of me.
Andrew

• Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
  • The Tradition
  • Bright Dead Things
  • Baby Proof
Cathy Park Hong is the author of Translating Mo'um and Dance Dance Revolution and has won a Pushcart Prize and the Barnard Women Poets Prize. She lives in New York and teaches at Sarah Lawrence College.