Start by marking “After the Music ” as Want to Read:
After the Music

After the Music

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,807 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
SOLID AS A ROCK

Rock star Sabina Cane had heard plenty about the wealthy Hamilton Regan Thorndon III, head honcho of Thorn Oil. His brother, Al, warned her of Thorn's reputation for breaking hearts, but singing was Sabina's life and she was grateful for any work she could get. She and her band would take the gig in the New Orleans nightclub, even if it was owned by Mr. Thor
Hardcover, Large Print, 200 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Thorndike Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about After the Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Music

Mo
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5

I know when I start Diana Palmer book what to expect. Overbearing jerk of a hero. Young, innocent woman (usually a virgin). But sometimes her books are like crack to me and I have to read them! This one was no exception. He was a fucking ass. She was a bit immature and innocent!

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. And the fashion in the books!! LOL. Horrendous. I am sure I will dip in now and again when I need a bit of 80's cheese!!!
Dee
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dee by: Erika
4.5 Stars

A good friend (Yes that's you Erika ☺ ) recommended this one to me as it is one of her all time favourites and I can honestly see why. She warned me that it didn't really have any sex scenes which if I am honest if it had not been recommended by a friend that would have put me off as I do like a bit of steam in the books that I read. Having said that I don't mind occasionally provided the sexual tension is there between the H & h and we are not fobbed off with silly fluffy words.
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)

Typical delicious Diana Palmer, all the right ingredients mixed and served just the way I prefer it-hot and spicy with dollops of sweetness.
The cold cruel hero who bucks and fights his fate to the bitter end and the h, an amazingly perfect balance of strong and sweet, sassy and sensitive. Both have a bad past and are commitment wary, but on meeting have a magnetic attraction and affinity-both physical and emotional. But circumstances play spoilsport.
She is in a pretend relationship with his yo
Kiki
Erika
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fan of DP, romance readers who likes bad tortured hero and outstanding heroine
"Listen to me, you half-baked adventuress," he said suddenly. "I'm not having my brother taken over by a wild-eyed rock singer with eyes for his bankbook!" Moving toward her, he reached into his vest pocket, caught her roughly by the arm, and stuffed a piece of paper into the valley between her high breasts. "You take that and get the hell out of my brother's sight. I make a bad enemy. Remember it!"
He escorted her to the door and shoved her out of his office. "I'll make your apologies to my mot
Leona
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leona by: Onu
Shelves: romance
I have this categorized under romance (I think)......

This was my very first DP novel.

For being a romance addict, that's quite a statement. I have always avoided this author because she has a reputation of writing singularly ruthless, "bad ass", abusive heroes. Though, I love a "bad boy" hero, I stop at abusive. There is nothing sexy or loving about abuse, no matter how you sugar coat it. So I picked this one up, with great hesitation and trepidation.

Surprisingly, it wasn't as bad as I thought i
Aayesha Khatri
Edited on 6th August, 2015
I cannot believe the number of times I have added :') to this review. Have I become less immature in these past 2 years? Please tell me that I have. Please.

I loved this book so much. It was full of hair-wrenching angst and sweetness and...*sob* Now this is the Diana Palmer I love! :') ♥ Even though the heroine wasn't a typical DP heroine, even though I usually like less..um, feisty heroines, I found myself loving Sabina. She had such a big heart, was strong and indepe
Vintage
Thank you GR reviewer friends. Based on the reviews I was expecting a train wreck of epic proportions and I got it. What surprised me was how much I loved it.

The hero is a low-down, dirty dog who tries to drag the heroine through hell, but she rises above it and inflicts such emotional and psychic damage on the hero it is epic. Well done. The heroine does what few heroines in romances ever do, she holds her head up high and confronts her situation head on. No whining, no kvetching, no whimpering
StMargarets
Chantal ❤️
Chitra *CJ*
"After the Music" is the love story of Thorn and Sabina.
Sabina is a barely surviving, locally famous rockstar who spends her time enjoying whatever she has in life and helping her down on luck neighbors.
When one of her closest friends and manager needs her help to fool his rigid and stubborn brother Thorn until he can marry his secretary Jessica- she decides to be his pretend fiancé.
Thorn is prejudiced and is rude- but Sabina is a strong heroine who fights fire with Fire. Instant attraction betw
Bubu
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angsty, groveling
i knew this was a sure thing. All the the reviews said it and indeed i loved this book. I really liked Sabina she was kind and likable and held her head high. The reveal scene.. omg!!!! she was on fire. Thorn was cruel sometimes..the more i read the more i pitted him..in his case is true the saying "no one can hurt you more than you hurt yourself".
The aftermath of his trying to drag her was the best.. he loses some business, he loses his acquaintances. The grovel was great -you go boy!!! grovel
Jenny
Rock star Sabina Cane had a crappy childhood. She doesn't want anyone knowing about her business or trying to socialize with her. She doesn't want to repeat the same mistakes her mother made in her past. She doesn't want marriage or love or commitment. I admired her inner strength and her struggle to remain positive and find the light despite her broken heart.

Thorn is also haunted by his past. He does his best to push people away from getting to know him. He wasn't expecting his brother's fiance
Onu
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
“It is a risk to love.
What if it doesn't work out?
Ah, but what if it does.”

― Peter McWilliams

Some of us are afraid to love, afraid to get hurt and we clam up and shut ourselves inside a hollow shelf , refusing anyone to come near us, denying love.

But love is a gamble and if you don't take the risk you might miss out on the most awesome feeling in the world.

Sabine and Thorn were two such people hiding behind their masks, refusing to let anyone near them. Some may feel that Thorn, the hero was c
Janie
Rating: 4 stars for Sabina! and not to forget Thorn ;)
Finished reading: August 4 2015

The story in itself isn't really different from many of DP's other novels, however Sabina's personality and the banter between the hero and heroine is what really sets this book from DP's other works.

Sabina was… FIERCE and always ready for battle with our hero. 'She rides?' Thorn laughed mockingly. 'She sure does,' Sabina said with a deliberate vacant smile. 'She even speaks all by herself, without help.'

Gosh I
Lulu Ali
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, 2018
I don't think I would have forgiven the love interest for what he did
description
monica
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La última cancion

Excelente, me gusta como escribe esta autora sencilla y fácil de leer .sus historias siempre son un éxito y está no se queda atras.la recomiendo.
FeliciaKaren

"Did she tell you that I sat by you when they told me you might not come out of the coma, and that I cried like a boy?" He put his hard mouth slowly, warmly on hers
--------------------

"So they tell me." He kissed her gently. "Marry me. Give me some children. I'll buy you a new bathrobe and let you sing in my nightclub."

She laughed at his phrasing. "How can I sing when I'm pregnant?"

"Listen, lady, you can even sing while you're getting pregnant, for all I care."

-----------------

"Shhh," she whi
Amanda Sheila
I loved it! :D

Mostly because it's been a while since I read Diana Palmer and I just crave her usual plot. This book, is surprisingly good. I loved how raw the Hero felt after 'hurting' the heroine and it's like addiction. I just can't stop reading it until the very last page.

Look forward to actually finished ALL Diana Palmer's.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
I didn't like this. There's nothing sexy about abusive men.
Mae Manongas
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Omg so brilliant I'm in love with the story worth to read multiple times. Sabina is very brave yet so innocent and vulnerable while our hero is hiding in a hard and Ruthless mask he keeps on while growing to keep distance from everyone cause of broken-hearted he'd experienced. I never skip any pages as i usually do when the POV got me bored.but this one just just oh my!! This one will be placed on my favorite folder. Five *
♛ Jarusauskas
Heroe in this novel is a true piece of work. What he did to her was just mean. No, scratch that. It was awful! I'm so glad she didn't take him back as soon as he said he was sorry. He had to grovel for her forgiveness, and I always love it when that happens.
Pam
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diana-palmer
Loved the Herione she had great spunk. Hero got better a typical Palmer jerk.
postcrdprincess
The books that I have read by Diana Palmer have always been good, and this book didn’t disappoint. I love her Alpha male characters. They are the type that when you first come across them in the story, you want to punch them for their mean and nasty behavior. But, as the story progresses you realize that they would do anything for the woman that they love. They just have a hard time making themselves vulnerable because of past experiences with women.

Hamilton Regan Thorndon the Third (Thorn) is j
Mou
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
Lori Meehan
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
4.5*
I was on The Contempary Romance Cafes blog one day and the subject was Alpha jerks and why we love them. The blogger recommended a couple of books and this was one of them. I am so glad I read this book. I loved it. And let me tell you Thorn is a JERK to put it nicely and I loved every minute of it. Sabrina and Thorn had great chemistry. Sabrina saw right through Thorns walls and into the heart and soul of his problems. Thorn saw exactly what Sabina was but was so jaded and angry towards her
Brittany
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in need of a bit of romance and this hit the spot. I picked this up expecting to be finished in a few days, but instead finished it that night. I loved this story, even though Thorn is a jerk. A big jerk, until Sabina gets to know him and breaks though his shell. I loved the witty remarks but I got tired of reading Thorn's entire name on what felt like every page. Over and over. Hamilton Regan Thorndon the Third. Sabina even addressed him like that over and over. Other then that, great boo ...more
Aude
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars
Very dated. It's hard to understand how a woman could be so devastated by the public revelation that she was (view spoiler), or why Al has to wait until he's 25 to get his inheritance.

The male protagonist is very disagreeable. Apart from the insta-lust, there is very little to support his and the heroin's relationship.
AmandaPutri
Novel ini boleh minjem sama sahabat saya waktu main kerumahnya (waktu minjem masih di segel tuh novel).

And langsung suka. Emang sederhana n klise ceritanya. Pria yang sebenernya baik, tapi yaahhh bersembunyi di balik topeng dingin dan angkuh.

Somehow.. saya masih butuh cerita macam begini untuk menjaga saya tetep bisa ngayal indah ;)
Rogetwhi
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of DP’s better heroines. She wasn’t as much of a doormat as most but I still think she gave too easy in the end! She had some funny comments though.

“She rides?” Thorn laughed mockingly. “She sure does,” Sabina said with a deliberate vacant smile. “She even speaks all by herself, without help.”
  • House of Mirrors
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • Tiger Prince
  • The Devil's Arms
  • The Bride's Proposition - Proposal Pernikahan (Salvatore Brothers, #3)
  • Jess's Promise (Secretly Pregnant…Conveniently Wed, #3)
  • The Sultan's Virgin Bride
  • Sarah's Child (Spencer-Nyle Co, #1)
  • Lost in Love
  • Taken: The Spaniard's Virgin (Mediterranean Brides, #2)
  • Innocent on Her Wedding Night
  • Lelaki Dalam Ingatan [An Unforgettable Man]
  • The Greek Tycoon's Love-Child
  • The Bride Thief

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera
More about Diana Palmer

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99