Start by marking “If Harry Potter Ran General Electric: Leadership Wisdom from the World of the Wizards” as Want to Read:

Business author Tom Morris reveals how the leadership secrets, wisdom and insights of Harry Potter's world of wizards applies to the world of business.
Published September 1st 2006 by Broadway Business (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about If Harry Potter Ran General Electric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Harry Potter Ran General Electric

Susan
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Tom wrote "If Aristotle ran General Motors". It was an examination of how a philosopher's traits were similar to leaderhship traits. Tom then was going to write "If Aristotle ran Hogwarts", but realized that he felt Dumbledore and Aristotle had many similarities, and so he changed the idea for the book to "If Harry Potter ran GE". I think the idea for the book was very clever but I really did not like this book too much. It got old very quickly and was mainly filled with Harry Potter movie quote ...more
Leah Macvie
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is at the top of my list. I went out and bought two other Tom Morris books because I loved this one so much. I truly believe that every high school student should have to read this book, and here’s why. This book isn’t just about the business world and being a good leader, it is also about finding your place, staying true to yourself, and making ethical choices. For the first time in my life I read about the differences in lies- when you should and when you shouldn’t lie. Students need ...more
Savyasachee
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because the title was quirky. I'd never heard of Tom Morris or even seen any of his other books. The thesis of this book is that there are lessons one might learn from JKR's world which concern leadership. These lessons might be important, relatable and singularly beneficial to enhancing oneself morally and spiritually.

To be honest, this book doesn't really deliver on what it promises. It reads like a thought leader putting Harry Potter into a bog-standard speech about mora
Kathleen
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
This report was written for BCIT's Peak Leadership program. tl;dr : A few good points; a few things I seriously disagree with; despite the Harry Potter, I was bored.

The central idea of If Harry Potter Ran General Electric: Leadership Wisdom from the World of the Wizards can be summed up as: To be a great leader, you must be an ethical person. This is a very valuable message, but it was articulated in a rambling way that left me bored halfway through the book, and not even the Harry Potter framew
Nathan Albright
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge

This book exists on at least two levels, and both of them are worthy of consideration for both readers and writers about the intersection of pop culture and philosophy with business theory. This book is an example of two different phenomena in our contemporary world of publishing: the ubiquity of books relating seemingly superficial pop culture with deep and searching philosophical examination [1] and the tendency of books on business to seek legitimacy from popular culture and history [2]. Thes
Jen
Jun 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I expected the title to be a bit misleading but not this far off. This book is little more than a fanboy extolling the virtues of Rowling so fiercely that I can practically hear him slavering from the pages. What I was thinking this would be was a thought experiment about the applicability of situations they went through to more of a corporate environment. What I got was a oft-example repeating philosophical diatribe that really only mentioned corporations when he referenced other business books ...more
Richard Pütz
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the true style of Tom Morris. If you read any of his other books you can see how Tom weaves into the corporate mindset the thinking of great philosphers.
Diana L Sepulveda
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una maravillosa mezcla de administración, filosofía y magia. Cualquier empresario con un mínimo interés en la filosofía y un mínimo de disfrute por el mundo de JK Rowling podrá sacarle provecho!
Mary Lou
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Way too long, and dull.
Ali
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Why couldn't he have waited until all 7 books came out before writing this? It had some really good points to it, and I was able to make this my "book on leadership" that I had to read for a leadership program at work, but there are so many more lessons we can learn from the last 2 books in the series! Particularly the chapter on Dumbledore. We learn SO MUCH about him in book 7, and that would have really beefed up that chapter!

It was good, though. Further confirmation that JK Rowling is a geni
Jacob
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was an inspiring book. For those who study both personal development and enjoy Harry Potter stories; this will be a fulfilling experience. Tom Morris has done a great job at teaching success and leadership principles while using Harry Potter and Dumbledore as the examples. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Katrina
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
If you are a Harry Potter fan, you should definately read this book. It is all about leadership, and how to be a better leader, by bringing in examples from the Harry Potter books. It discusses the lessons we can learn from Harry and his friends. I loved it!
Deedi (DeediReads) Brown
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
Overall this was great, but can we please get a second edition that includes book 7? There is so much more to the Harry Potter series which could further Tom Morris' points even further.
Megan
Nov 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Intriguing book about business ethics.
Bridget R. Wilson
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting perspective on the Harry Potter books. Lots of leadership insights.
Pisceswonder77
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like the book. It was ok but not what I thought it was.
Kari
May 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2000-to2010-ad
I like this guy! A lot of what he says I personally already noticed reading Harry Potter myself, but at least there is someone else who thinks the same.
Lori Grant
An optional-read company profile for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
SilverHorse28
May 07, 2011
Jose Nemer
Nov 29, 2017
Sheenagh Morrison
rated it did not like it
Dec 23, 2015
Suriya
Jan 21, 2013
  • Kids' Letters to Harry Potter: From Around the World
  • The Hidden Myths in Harry Potter: Spellbinding Map and Book of Secrets
  • The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter: The Unauthorized Course
  • New Clues to Harry Potter Book 5: Hints from the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter
  • The Ivory Tower and Harry Potter: Perspectives on a Literary Phenomenon
  • Harry Potter and International Relations
  • The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What Our Favorite Hero Teaches Us About Moral Choices
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Companion
  • Selections from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Piano Solos
  • The Hidden Key to Harry Potter: Understanding the Meaning, Genius, and Popularity of Joanne Rowling's Harry Potter Novels
  • Field Guide to Harry Potter
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • Harry Potter Collector's Handbook
  • Harry Potter Smart Talk
  • Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter
  • Beacham's Sourcebook For Teaching Young Adult Fiction: Exploring Harry Potter
  • Fact, Fiction, and Folklore in Harry Potter's World: An Unofficial Guide
Tom Morris has become one of the most active public philosophers in the world due to his unusual ability to bring the greatest wisdom of the past into the challenges of the present.

A native of Durham, North Carolina and a Distinguished Alumnus of Durham Academy, Tom was a Morehead Scholar at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, which has honored him, along with Michael Jordan, as a reci