Start by marking “The Shadowverse: A YA Sci-Fi Superhero Adventure” as Want to Read:
The Shadowverse: A YA Sci-Fi Superhero Adventure

The Shadowverse: A YA Sci-Fi Superhero Adventure

Johnny Sparks longs for a higher purpose, a destiny greater than the ordinary. After an encounter with a mysterious stranger, he and his friends are imbued with incredible powers—at last giving his life meaning.

Published August 4th 2019 (first published November 21st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadowverse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadowverse

Shalini
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love a good fast paced sci-fi action thriller, and I picked up this book expecting it to be a kickass blockbuster. The book started with a lot of fun with Johnny and his best friends getting special powers when another friend Rose being kidnapped by Titan, an alien lord. The 4 are then sent across the galaxy to rescue her and save a missing warrior too.

The author John-Clement Gallo has packed the story with action from the get-go. I don't think I took a deep breath since I started reading this
itzbookish
I don't read science fiction much, so this one was good for a change but not exactly good as an experience. The thing is, the story has potential but isn’t used to its fullest.

The beginning was so good, so mysterious and about bunch of friends having fun, acquiring their powers, meeting new ones like them and all. But then the flow of the story gets so fast that you don't get to enjoy every aspect of it. For me personally though I liked the usual banter among the friends, I don't know why but I
Bernard Jan
2019 is the year of discoveries for me. By accident, or guided by the starlight, I wouldn’t know, I came upon two teenage writers and authors who are still not out of their classrooms but are already “competing” with thousands of more experienced writers on equal footing on Amazon and other book-selling platforms.

In February this year, Michael Evans disarmed me and won my sympathies with his dystopian Control Freakz. A month later, John-Clement Gallo did it with his Sci-Fi adventure novel The Sh
John-Clement Gallo
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a new edition of the book with a revamped first 7 chapters, new cover, and new author name! Enjoy!
Taylor Watkins
When author John-Clement Gallo emailed me and asked me to review The Shadowverse, he mentioned that he'd found me by reading my review of Control Freakz by Michael Evans and offered a free .mobi file in exchange for an honest review. I was excited to dive into this alternate reality superhero fiction, as it's one of the first books of its kind that I've been able to review, but there were several issues that I feel need to be addressed in order for my review to be accurate.

To see my full review
Toya
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadowverse is a richly imagined world where a band of friends must join forces in order to save the world! This book definitely reminded me of The Guardians of the Galaxy meets Team Titan.

I typically don’t get into the superhero theme, but this book was a lot of fun to read. It was witty, action packed, and full of adventure with twists and turns.

One of the coolest aspects of this book is that the author is only 17, so he is able to offer a unique perspective into his characters that gives
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
Thank you SO much to the author for sending me a copy of his book in exchange for an honest review

I'm still processing everything that happened in this book, and I honestly think that it's much better than I expected, it has surprised me for good, which is always very pleasant. The Shadowverse is a book about a group of guys who get superpowers and must fight a fearsome villain in order to save the world. It's the typical Superheroes story but it has an interesting twist where we'll meet other w
Elizabeth Dragina
May 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF . . . . maybe I'll try another time?? This one isn't for me.
Topher
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a pretty awesome feat for a first-time author.

The story is filled with action and has a group well thought out characters. My favourite was the two brothers who worked off each other's powers. (Read the story to find out more)

As one person said, it had a comic book feel. I on the other hand love comics, and seeing that the story was about super heros, I appreciated the feel!

The only thing that I would change is the dialogue in some parts. It was a bit forces. Don't get me wrong, it’
Ga Books LoverX
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun, interesting read! When the author approached me on twitter and asked me to read and review the book, I was definitely interested but also a little worried that it might not be my "style" since I go for more romance-esque books. Well let me tell you, I was absolutely wrong! This book has it all- adventure, realness, a great plot, tragedy, and even a little romance there thrown in there for me!

The characters were carefully and thoughtfully planned out to where you definitely were able
Emma moriarty
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was amazing. Very well written. Has very relatable characters and brilliant plot that really came together

Emunah
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadowverse by John-Clement Gallo is a captivating science-fiction story that incorporates elements of real life and fantasy.

In a surprising encounter, four male college friends acquire superpowers from a stranger. They later realize that Rose, who is an addition to the group, is an alien who is been sought after. A second lady, Jane, joins the party after they realize she also has unusual powers. The group is tricked by an evil force and they find themselves outside of the world they are us
Mar
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadowverse is a story about a group of friends with superpowers who must join forces and learn to work together not only to save their friend but their world. The friendship described in the book between Sam, Dustin, Ryan and Johnny was so special, they complemented each other perfectly and that was my favorite part.

The reason why this wasn't a 5 stars for me is because everything in the first chapters from them being friends with the girls, to getting their powers and figure out how they
Remmy
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superheroes. Since the 1940’s every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jane has been writing about superheroes. Some were kids, most were adults, but they all had super something in their beings. The teen superheroes caught a vague interest in me because I grew up not having any. In fact, I have seen cartoons but never paid attention. I was into action-adventure books. Comics/comiccon/ and such things never interested me and still don’t. Worse yet, when you read a few pages into this book, you find out that ...more
Readers' Favorite
The Shadowverse: A YA Sci-Fi Superhero Adventure by John-Clement Gallo is an adventure that is as satisfying as any can be. Well-written and loaded with action, it features Johnny Sparks, a young protagonist who suddenly discovers that he has powers after an encounter with a mysterious stranger. Perhaps this could be the start of an exciting life for him. When one of his gifted friends is captured by the evil warlord Titan, Johnny and his friends are sent on a rescue mission that takes them acro ...more
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadowverse is a superhero adventure written for young adults, and penned by author John-Clement Gallo. Combining science fiction, suspense and comic book action, the plot begins when Johnny Sparks and his three fellow college friends are imbued with superpowers from an encounter with a mysterious stranger. Soon after, they discover that fellow college attendee Rose is actually an alien, sought after by powerful forces from across the galaxy. As tensions rise and danger looms, the new heroes ...more
Sandy
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to start off by saying, I love the imagination used to create the different worlds we get to visit. I’m almost finding myself wanting to book a cruiser to Herook.

While this book does need a bit more editing and tightening up, it still presented an exciting story.

I love the unique personalities of each team member. We are quickly introduced to them all at the beginning of the book. Over time, we get to know them on a more intimate level. We learn their backstories - what makes them tick.
E.P.
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six ordinary young people have their lives changed forever when they discover that they're not so ordinary after all. Soon they're a band of superheroes, traveling through space and trying to save the world.

"The Shadowverse" has a lot of superhero tropes that superhero fans are likely to recognize and enjoy. So if you like a good superhero story, this book has a lot that will probably appeal to you. Some of the aspects of the the book that really stood out for me were the martial arts training a
Pegboard
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes people are chosen to become heroes; just like in The Shadowverse. John-Clement Gallo creates a novel around a team of young adults destined for greater things. These friends entertain us as they learn about their powers and the different ways to use them. Johnny, Ryan, Sam, Dustin, Rose, and Jane have a lot to learn and everything is a learning experience.

The Shadowverse, by John-Clement Gallo, is comical for a time travel novel. With a familiar plot altered in a unique way, this book
Anita
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Johnny Sparks longs for a greater purpose. After an encounter with a mysterious stranger, he and his friends are imbued with incredible powers—at last giving his life meaning.

But this dream soon disintegrates once one of the friends is taken by an alien warlord named Titan. In a rescue effort, the remaining group is sent across the galaxy in search of the only possible aid—an ancient, immortal warrior missing for centuries.

To succeed, the team must join forces to reclaim their friend and stop a
Archie
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unity has extreme power!
A sci-fi story blending fantasy, reality and super-powers with friendship, fun, unity and strength to make it a captivating read. A group of college mates join together, to save their group friend from evil using their superpowers on a different planet and saved the earth and human life. They ride together the roller-coaster of challenges and risks with their friendship and complementing each other powers.
Jolie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I like science fiction, I have been moving away reading it. They all seemed to follow the same plotline, and I was getting bored reading them. So, when the author of The Shadowverse approached me to review his book, I almost didn’t accept it. But there was something about the blurb that made me think twice. I am glad that I did because this was a fantastic read!!

The Shadowverse was an interesting combination of science fiction, fantasy, and Christian literature. I have read this combinatio
Mina Vucicevic
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even though I’m not a YA fan at all, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It’s quite fast-paced and action-packed and it always keeps you wondering what would happen next.

Since there are so many protagonists, I was surprised to discover that all of them are well-developed characters. Each one has a backstory, personality, quirks, virtues, and flaws.

The friendship between the guys is just amazing. Also, I just loved how clumsy they get around their love interests. These scenes add to th
Joey Mason
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'll tell you why this is a great book...

1. Picks up quickly, although there are parts that are slower
2. Although not all the characters were SUPER interesting, they were more realistic than the typical flashy, deep, smart, but also drop-dead hot/overly handsome. I hate that trope, it turns me off. Stuff like that never happens irl. But yeah, the characters were enjoyable to be around.
3. The villain was amazing (there was a side-villain too named "Solis" but Titan was freaking amazing. Reminded
Amanda
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always have an appreciation for a good science fiction/fantasy story. So, Shadowverse by John-Clement Gallo definitely caught my attention. This book introduces friends: Johnny, Ryan, Dustin, Sam, Jane and Rose. Little do they know, their friend Rose is from an alien planet. All the friends soon realize they have extraordinary powers! When Rose is taken by Titan, they must rescue her. In order to rescue her, they must find an ancient warrior to help them and stop Titan's plans before it is too ...more
Frank Geimer
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good story! I loved how the characters meshed and overcome their individual shortcomings by working together. I received this novel as an ARC and I am gladly leaving this review. Pick this one up if you are into superheroes and space opera, it has both that are put together nicely. You will enjoy the read, I did.
Stephanie
The author for The Shadowverse emailed me to review his book. I was offered a free ecopy in exchange for an honest review.

When I first read the book blur for this book I was kind of excited. I have always loved sci-fi and was on a pretty healthy super hero kick, so I was looking forward to reading this book. I want to first start off this review and just say that the author has some serious potential. I was pretty impressed at his ability to write a story. However, I felt that this story would
ash
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5/5 stars*

I was sent a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review, so first thing's first -- a huge thank you goes out to JC for doing that.

I thought this novel had an incredibly developed underlying theme which was one of the reasons I ended up enjoying it as much as I did. I think this was definitely a great start, but that there is a lot of potential for the rest of the story.

For a full review, you can go here! https://iinktrailss.wordpress.com/201...
Readers' Favorite
The Shadowverse: A YA Sci-Fi Superhero Adventure by John-Clement Gallo is a fast-paced, action-packed adventure that takes readers across the galaxies. An encounter between Johnny Sparks and a mysterious stranger leaves him and his friends with unimaginable powers. But soon after this encounter, one of his friends is taken by a powerful alien warlord called Titan. Now begins the hunt to rescue his friend. The only help they can get is from an immortal warrior who has gone missing for centuries, ...more
Kenzie
rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2019
Authors & Reviewers: The Shadowverse: A YA Sci-Fi Superhero Adventure 1 12 May 30, 2019 06:41PM
John-Clement Gallo is a 17-year-old Christian author of The Shadowverse, a Science-Fiction Superhero novel. He enjoys astronomy, astrophysics, ambient music, and ice hockey, while also a trumpet player. While living in Houston, Texas, he was the youngest person (11) to become a licensed RC pilot. On the other hand, he is ranked a black belt in Taekwondo and Hapkido, though he is very unassuming an ...more
“You are children of the light.” 0 likes
“Look up, like she is. The night sky can teach you things unwanted by many. Never stop looking up, never stop looking into infinity. You are children of the light.” 0 likes