Start by marking “Ghost Train” as Want to Read:
Ghost Train

Ghost Train

Mark Davies has no memory of what happened when he fell from the King’s Cross train. But ever since the accident he has been haunted by terrifying nightmares, and he feels compelled to return again and again to the station.

Yet Mark is not alone. Over the span of decades, many strange and violent incidents have occurred on the King’s Cross line. Unexplained acts
Published November 2019 by Valancourt Books (first published April 25th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Train

Start your review of Ghost Train
Edward Lorn
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Laws is one of the best writers to ever grace the horror genre. I have yet to read a bad book from him, and seeing as this is the only book of his I hadn't read, I doubt I ever will read a bad Laws book.

Finishing this one was bittersweet. As I said above, I saved this book for last. Not for any special reason, but because it was the last one I got my hands on. I finally came across a paperback copy a few months back and put off reading it for one reason or another. Then my monthly buddy
Thomas Strömquist
If you ask Edward Lorn himself about his track record for picking our monthly buddy read books, he'll tell you that he knows how to stack up them stinkers. I think he's being characteristically hard on himself, but this time that's impossible even for him, because this book is pretty darned great reading! Last month, we read a compatriot author and contemporary book to Laws and Ghost Train - Ramsey Campbell's The Hungry Moon. That one had many things going for it - and some problems. The main one (I found) was tha ...more
William
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
Shelves: horror-fiction
This was my introduction to Laws, and led me to seek out everything he has written.

It's all based on a great premise... that the main East Coast rail line from London to the North of England is on a ley line that can channel power to the London End, with a view to waking an ancient demon.

Strange deaths abound on the line. Our protagonist, himself a survivor of a strange experience on a train, has to try to stop the energy building up.

The climax is a tour-de-fo
Elana
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I confess. I'm a sucker for British horror fiction. Ramsay Campbell, James Herbert, Tim Lebbon and classics like Robert Aiken, Algernon Blackwood, M.R. James...This is what I read to relax and calm down when the pressures of a looming deadline get to be too much.
Laws is not on the same level as the above but I have a soft spot for him because of his penchant for weird environments (in "Chasm" and "Darkfall" in particular). "Ghost Train" is rather old and gives you a nice feeling for th
Helen
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-fiction
Decent supernatural yarn, took a while to get going, but was at least an interesting take on the classic ghost train tale.
I borrowed my copy from the library, unfortunately my enjoyment of the book was slightly marred by the f**king ignorant sod who penned over every expletive in the book. I wonder if they also try smothering the mouth of every person who says something they don't like too?
Rant over, feel slightly better, but defacing books that are intended for the enjoyment of whoever c
Jam Sinclair
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a ride. Literally! Laws is quickly becoming one of my new favourite authors. This was pure nightmare fuelled horror. Much better than I thought it was going to be. The depth of the imaginitive storyline keeps the pages turning well. I needed to unravel this dark, tension-building mystery.
I felt for the main characters and feared the antagonist, a lot. I felt part of it. It thrilled, shocked and scared me like only a King or Barker novel could. Or so I thought!
It's not just
Anthony Sullivan
Excellent debut novel from an underrated horror master. Laws' books are getting harder and harder to find. Seek them out. They are worth it.

This one doesn't waste a word when it comes to thrills.
Djip Minderman
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly the story starts off a bit weak with constant dream sequences that don't really do much other than seem a bit easy and obvious, but beyond that, it was great! Like a Steven King novel if Steven King and the characters in his stories were British. The way people thought and acted and reacted felt more plausible to me, and the writing was maybe a little bit drier, which I also liked. There are some pretty cool twists near the end when certain things hit certain other things typically at ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Not as good as I expected it would be, but Ghost Train was still alright and kind of fun to read.
Geoff Battle
The young, the old, the infirm... Stephen Laws doesn't doesn't think politically when he's killing people in a myriad of gruesome ways. Ghost Train is old school horror, with possession, demonic forces, a mystery to be solved and a finale of good versus evil against all odds. What lets Ghost Train down is the real lack of substance. Although Laws has attempted to weave considerable mystery in to the plot, the evil 'train' just doesn't have any character and as a result there is a not enough enga ...more
Christine Blücher
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Gediegener Old School Horror aus den Achtzigern, mit dem groben Keil in die Druckplatten gestanzt, erfrischend frei von unnötigem Romanzen- und Rechtfertigungsbohei. Was getan werden muß, wird getan, fertig. Und wenn man sich mit dem uralten Bösen anlegt, das sich in einer der Hauptschlagadern des britischen Schienennetzes verbirgt, dann gibt es auch reichlich Späne (und Kutteln), die dabei fliegen. Für mich als Eisenbahnfan mit Augenmerk auf Dampf und Diesel natürlich ein gefundenes Fressen ❤ ...more
Sam
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple, fun yet classic 80s horror! Who knew a book featuring a train could be so interesting? Unfortunately no key female protagonists, however written by a geordie author and set in Newcastle so that balances it out.. a tiny bit.
Sarah Sammis
Jun 09, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Service began on the London Underground on January 10, 1863 and the subway has been inspiring stories ever since. Horror, especially in the form of demonic ghost stories is a genre of subway stories that fascinates me and the reason why I wanted to read Ghost Train.

Despite the blurb on the back of the book, very little of the story takes place on the Underground. Most of the story is told in dreams and flashbacks. The first two thirds of the novel is stuck in a cycle of Mark having
Peter Greenwell
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All round, this book is mostly brilliant stuff. I would've given it five stars if it had stayed on the tracks (ha ha) a little tighter. When it is on target, which is 80% of the time, this book is a sure-fire winner. It just occasionally drifts into flashback and sentimentality territory. Highly recommended.
Lesley Fowler
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
crap
Jakub Pazera
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow. But becomes evolved. Classic Laws. Worth a read, but don't expect his best on this one.
Steven Koch
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A unique and thrilling book dealing with demonic posession.
Grimm
Paweł
Dec 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Valancourt Books: Ghost Train (1985) by Stephen Laws 3 14 Nov 05, 2019 08:35AM
Horror Aficionados : Ghost Train (1985) by Stephen Laws 1 10 Nov 05, 2019 07:06AM

• Night Wars (Night Warriors, #4)
  • Némesis
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • The Nightwalker
  • The Doll Who Ate His Mother
  • The Spear
  • Wildwood
  • The Myth Hunters (The Veil, #1)
  • Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
  • Toybox
Stephen Laws is a full-time novelist, born in Newcastle upon Tyne. Married, with three children, he lives and works in his birthplace. The author of 11 novels, numerous short stories, (collected in THE MIDNIGHT MAN) columnist, reviewer, film-festival interviewer, pianist and recipient of a number of awards, Stephen Laws recently wrote and starred in the short horror movie THE SECRET.