Start by marking “Fire Dancer” as Want to Read:
Fire Dancer

Fire Dancer

So You Think You Can Dance meets Storm Siren

Fire is a dangerous magic.

Sixteen-year-old Kyla is preparing for the test of her life: a high-stakes dance competition to win the role of principal dancer in the fire festival's elite troupe. When she's not sneaking off into the woods to practice forbidden magic, that is. Among her people, only the men are entrusted with the mysteries
Published October 1st 2019 by Fathom Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Fire Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Dancer

Start your review of Fire Dancer
Nathaniel
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything I wanted and more. Catherine Jones Payne really outdid herself and I cannot wait to read more.
Katie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Catherine Jones Payne is an amazingly gifted storyteller. Her books are always hard for me to put down, and Fire Dancer is no exception. Such a great story from a great author!
Angela R. Watts
3.5 stars, rounding to 4.

STORY

Intriguing, a beezy read, and lovely fire and circus vibes, I enjoyed the overall gist of the story. I liked the vibes of the story world and such. But the moving plot bugged me quite a bit: it was very predictable.

Telling from the back cover blurb, I really didn’t see it coming: the patriarchy and the suppressed culture of women who not only cannot be mages, but are born to dance, marry, and breed. Basically, that’s the culture, or so, the f/>
Joanna
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect book for a teenager who loves dance. I would have adored this book as a fourteen year old, so I’m basing my rating of four stars off that.
The whole fire magic and girl wanting to be a mage(only boys are allowed to) theme was relatable for teenage girls. A lot of the fire making and quelling reminded me of the Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale who is my absolute favorite YA author. In some ways this book would be fun to read if a teen has read those. They just can’t compar
Katie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emotional and beautiful

I loved the smooth incorporation of magic and dance in this new novel from CJP. Great messages about letting love fuel creativity and pursuing opportunities for women. Interested to see what’s next in Fire Mage.
Hannah Michaels
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this idea, but I found the world building to be very lacking. I was disappointed that the world wasn’t more fleshed out, like Kyla’s tribe and their rules. It was like a 2D vision of a 3D world. I’m really hoping it improves in the next book.
Chris Morris
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun engaging read

The author knows how to create compelling protagonists. Myla is no exception. Her fierce bravado and drive will hopefully inspire young women to break barriers in theories lived.
Elizabeth
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ugg, I'm so bad at reviews. Especially when I've just finished a book. Too many thoughts and emotions. So I will work on a real review soon, but for now all I'm saying is it's really good! You should read it. And also, second review!
Selina Gonzalez
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read. Cool magic and good worldbuilding. The fire dancing is interesting. I liked the characters. Not exactly a cliffhanger, but lots of unresolved plot threads.
Kylie Hunt
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Read! Catherine spun a story of mystery and excitement that kept me on the edge of my seat - I definitely recommend this book!
Kim  Gregory
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting story. Kayla is a Fire Dancer and wants to become the Phoenix, the premier position in the troupe. But even more than that Kayla wants to be a fire mage, but only men are allowed to be mages.

Nolan's family are outcasts from the Fire Mage troupe - his father married someone outside of their group - but he and all of his children have the gift of fire magic. Nolan is Kayla's best friend and he loves her - he is teaching her how to use her magic.

Inside
Rita
Sep 08, 2019
Wendy
Sep 12, 2019

• Oath of the Outcast (The Dragon Keep Chronicles, #1)
  • Leviticus (Bible #3)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • An Absolutely Remarkable Thing (An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, #1)
  • One Helluva Bad Time: The Complete Bad Times Series
  • A Transcontinental Affair
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • King's Folly (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1)
  • Coral
  • Evelina
  • The Victims' Club
  • The Lady of the Vineyard  (Kees & Colliers, #1)
  • Captured by Love (Michigan Brides, #3)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Freedom's Price (Keys of Promise #3)
  • Flowers in Her Heart (Kees & Colliers #2)
  • Heartless (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #1)
  • Rising Sun