Start by marking “Yankee Wife (Quaid, #1)” as Want to Read:
Yankee Wife (Quaid, #1)

Yankee Wife (Quaid #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  990 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
When a pretty spitfire who's down on her luck clashes with a stubborn man in search of a wife, sparks must turn to flames....A year after the Civil War, courageous former Union nurse Lydia McQuire was gamely scraping out an honest living. But now, as she said yes to marrying a stranger, her knees gave way with fear. Mr. Devon Quaid had seemed polite and handsome when she a ...more
Published June 1st 1993 by Pocket Books

Ipshita
It had a very good plot with lots of potential, but I think the author quite mixed it up. It just did not seem well thought-out. There was no congruity to the flow of story. And even with really well-written characters, the story continued to be a jumble of events and continuous internal wars that seemed to rise from nowhere. Also, it took a pretty weird turn in the latter half and then everything sorted out pretty swiftly, not to mention very conveniently.

Lorka
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book had a very good mail-order bride story line and plenty of side characters that kept the book interesting. I felt "Frodine" was a little bit of an odd character thrown in at the end, the two main characters were almost too stubborn with each other at times, but I loved the setting of the story, in the Northwest area of Washington. A refreshing change from the dusty Southwest or England. (I would have liked though to have read how the lady that delivered a baby at the end of the story re ...more
Leticia
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was just a nice comfortable read about two brothers, their brides and a developing town. One of the husbands already had children and they are such lively characters. The next book I believe is about the eldest daughter.... cant wait.
Louise M. Stoddard
Good read

Fourth or fifth time reading.....love this book. Linda Lael Miller is one of my favorite authors...and this book is one of the best.
Cam
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scribd
It had everything I like in a romance. Dual POV & epilogue.
Genieve Ong
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-read
And again why do couples has to fight with each other a lot of times..... please please please I like the fact that the H/h of this book are talking with each other rather than having misunderstanding but I hope. they don't fight too much.... twists are good too but one twist left me soooo nervous and scared that I had to put it down and let myself breathe...That's when I thought the hero is about to marry Polly by the way I love her name is... it almost sounds Fool because well she is... I didn ...more
Jazmine(The Bookworm)
May 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
I struggled to finish this one. What an asshole Brigham is! I have no idea why Lydia kept on putting up with him or how she came to fall in love with him. He was verbally abusive and practically forces himself on her when she's "not obeying" him. The only character i remotely cared for was Millie, Brigham's daughter. The "climax" of this was anything but. LLM is one of my favorite authors but I hate this book.
Melanie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those romance novels that has stuck with me over the years. I'm glad to see it is still as good as I remembered!
Tara Prinsep
Mar 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I got through 5 chapters and gave up reading this book. It was slow moving, no plot, and was very choppy.
Amy
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel and look forward to reading the rest of the series. I generally like Lydia and despite the fact that he came off as a rather boorish idiot, I also likens Brigham... Which by the way is my name I've never heard of. Anyway, I like the way the story played it fell out with a variety of plot lines and the different possibilities between Devon Polly Joe and others. I don't want to say too much here about how things unfold, but I like the fact that there are variety of thin ...more
Ellen
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
She's seen some pretty nasty stuff as a field nurse with her late doctor-father during the Civil War. With so few young men available post-war, she hired on as a companion to a west bound elderly lady who has passed. Her adult children felt no obligation and she finds herself in 1866 San Francisco trying to eek out enough money to feed herself or find a clean bed but not both; hopes of opening a music school for children have disappeared. A posted flier proposes the need for a wife for a good, s ...more
Jeanne
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This story takes place after the civil war. A former Union nurse Lydia McQuire was barely earning a living, playing piano at the local bar. She chances upon an ad for a wife. She goes to see the placer of the ad a Mr. Devon Quade. She accepted his proposition and he took her to Washington territory. It was then that she learned her husband to be was not Devon Quade, but his brother Brigham. He took an instance dislike to the man, however for some reason he aroused a passion in her and a resolve ...more
Sommertime
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
Although I really enjoyed this book, it was a little too formulaic for me. Like the author put all the cliches in a hat a drew a hundred out.

I liked the marriage of convenience plot and I loved the Pacific Northwest setting. A book based along the Washington State coast instead of a dusty Wyoming town? Yes please! I loved the timber business and building a new town.

The characters were engaging but there were too many coinciding plots. Too many people thrown in with too much going on. And too m
Courtney Vasiliev
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yankee Wife.

I dont usually like historicals. I dont like the men thinkin their boss and women being submissive. and young girls didnt need to kniw anything more than wifes.
YUCK

I have to say I like this book A Lot!
yes Bingham is dominating and thinks hes the master. But Lydia is there to even him out. I didnt like how she was so easily swayed by sex, but eh.

I liked how Devon and Polly leveled eachother as well. she was sweet. I think I would have liked a little more from those two.

Bo conplaints
Barbra
The devestation of the Civil War and its aftermath affected the lives of so many in the North and South. This book tells of Lydia Quade and the perils of her life after having served in the medical aiding of the wounded troops from both sides. For years she can't get the sights and sounds of war from her head, the cries of young boys who were just babies. She finds her match and true love in a timberman named Brig Quade amongst the tall timbers of Washington State.
Shandra Teal
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I knew it would end well, our I wouldn't have read it. The thought that concerned me was would the journey be a challenge, painful or painfully stupid?
I found myself hurting for Lydia. In a time when we hear so much about PTSD and our current military, we tend to forget that it's not a new phenomenon and soldiers, doctors and nurses have suffered from it in the past.
I love that she was a strong but not a stupidly stubborn character.
Karen
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lydia a strong character who had lived through terrors of war, to be delivered as an unwanted bride. She carved a life where she was independent and marriage mostly on her terms.
Brigham king of the mountain had few who'd defy him but Lydia stood her ground, strong in her convictions, just wouldn't budge until they'd worked out priorities.

I enjoyed exploring the life of a lumber camp, burgeoning town, the vision of brothers on the frontier.
April
Aug 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers of Romance Novels
Lydia McQuire sees an advertisement for a bride and decides it would be better than how she was currently living. The man she thinks she will marry is actually not the intended bridegroom. Instead, she has agreeded to marry an arrogant widower with two daughters. At first, Lydia takes an instant dislike for the man, but eventually love blooms.

This is a pretty familiar theme, but I liked Miller's writing style and would recommend her to anybody looking for a well written romance.
Christel
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Period romance readers
A really good story about a Civil War Nurse trying to put her past behind her and a gruff, domineering lumberjack in the Pacific Northwest. The subplots also keep you going in this book with Devon and Polly. Will read again shelf of my library
Janet Meeks
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Never disappointed by Ms. Miller's books. She writes wonderfully . I think more of her stories should be made into movies, better than so many remakes of the some comic book themed movies.!!!!
Please keep on writing Ms. Miller!!!!
Paula
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good I really liked Lydia but I never really warmed up to Brigham, I never saw him doing nice things for her because he cared yet he expected affection from Lydia which irrated me. And I never really felt their love for each other and we find out next to nothing about his past.
Shae
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
After a friend read this and said it was full of funny bits I was excited to read it. I was quickly disappointed. I really didn't care for any of the characters as much as I thought I might. I didn't care what happened to them.
Ivy
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I have to fast forward through the sex scenes, but I like a good love story.
Raj
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Liked Brigham and Lydia's stubbornness.
Rachel
I started to read this book and just couldn't get in to it. I didn't dislike the book but it didn't capture my attention either. Perhaps another time.
Rogetwhi
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
ReadingWench
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start to the series!
karen
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like the strong women in the story but it was a little too outrageous between the stubborn Lydia and Brigham
Sherri
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this one, liked it too
Mareli
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! It was funny and wonderful. Lydia&Brigham were great and a lot of fun. As I said before this historical period is very interesting.

Totally recommended! I'm onto the next one :)
  • The Barefoot Bride
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • Mail-Order Bride (Mail Order Series, #1)
  • To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • Short Straw Bride
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • Small Treasures
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • My Lady Beloved
  • The Courtship of Izzy McCree
  • Joe's Wife
  • A Willow Creek Christmas (Willow Creek, #6)
  • Montana Dawn (McCutcheon Family, #1)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller

Quaid (3 books)
  • Taming Charlotte (Quaid, #2)
  • Princess Annie (Quaid, #3)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
  • In The Flesh
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)