Start by marking “Bitch Creek (Stoney Calhoun #1)” as Want to Read:
Bitch Creek (Stoney Calhoun #1)

Bitch Creek (Stoney Calhoun #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  400 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
William G. Tapply has created a fresh new world in BITCH CREEK, a steamy, perfectly crafted mystery introducing Stoney Calhoun, an unlikely hero. Stoney is a man without a past. A lightning strike obliterated his memory, and, as so many might like to do, he was given a chance to completely reinvent himself. That's not an easy task when a man doesn't know the slightest thin ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Lyons Press (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bitch Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitch Creek

Charlotte B.
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: exploratology
Une lecture qui se dévore. Des personnages très attachants et complexes au cœur de ces paysages apaisants du Maine. Une superbe lecture, j'ai très envie de lire la suite des histoires de Calhoun.
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chana by: book crossing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Bit of a male fantasy isn't it? Stoney's girlfriend is 41 but looks 25. She is married but has her sick husband's permission to sleep with Stoney. Stoney can't remember his past but it turns out that he is evidently a trained investigator, with a photographic memory, an artist's hand and he can successfully win a violent fight with someone a lot bigger than he is. And let's not forget that he has no money worries even if he can't remember why. There is a weird guy in a grey suit who keeps showin ...more
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: exploratology
Un super polar qui se cache derrière tout ce mystère
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a new character for Tapply, although I have enjoyed "knowing" his usual star, Brady Coyne. He is a totally different type who has numerous emotional demons to fight, but I found him engaging. The book was a compelling mystery with vivid descriptions of the scenery.
Karine BZH
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exploratology
Je ne lis pas de polar, je suis trop peureuse. Trop peur des cauchemars que je pourrai faire. J'ai découvert celui-ci par Exploratology. J'ai aimé la 1e de couverture. Et je suis une curieuse, et je tiens à garder l'esprit ouvert. Je l'ai lu d'une traite. Pour connaître la fin et éviter les cauchemars.
L'histoire est prenante. Stoney est très attachant. Je me suis laissée prendre au jeu de cet homme amnésique qui à la sortie de l'hôpital psy vient vivre dans le Vermont et devient guide de pêche.
Sandrine Bergelin
Une très belle découverte qui donne envie de lire les 2 autres tomes. Les personnages sont très attachants.
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce livre je l'ai dévoré. Super bien écrit, personnages énigmatiques et attachants. Un peu deçue par le dénouement final mais ça ne change rien au plaisir de lecture.
Dena Beck
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
No idea how this one came to be on my shelves. It is ten years old, so it has likely been there a while. Possibly picked it up because the name amused me. (Is that like buying a bottle of wine because you like the label? Guilty.) But, I really enjoyed this one. It was a win. I didn't know it was the first in a series, but I'm looking forward to picking up the next one. I won't let it sit on my shelves for a decade. I am interested to learn more about the past of the main character, Stoney Calhou ...more
Clara Frain Combanaire
Dates très très approximatives ...
J'avais une grosse attente pour ce livre, décrit comme un thriller génial, ou le personnage redécouvrait son passé d'agent secret (?) après avoir perdu la mémoire. J'ai été très déçue, j'ai trouvé l'intrigue vraiment pas incroyable. Je m'attendais à découvrir tout son passé et on n'apprend rien. On dirait que l'auteur essaie d'enrober toutes les péripéties de l'histoire ...
Le personnage est bien construit à la base et c'est pour cela qu'on aimerait en découvrir
Laura Lepovetsky
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Again, it was ok. Kept me interested...curious to know how it would end. I didn't like this one as much as the second one, but if I decide to continue on to number three, I'll feel like I'm up to speed.
I Read
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like my daughter said, it was really good. I can hardly wait to find out more about Stoney Calhoun. It was a good read'
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5. Good series.
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: exploratology
Nature writting meets Thriller in this book, and I was torn between relaxation (with the description of forests) and tension. Aside from that, you'll have pretty good picture of countryside America. Only bad point, I found a bit weird that women are primary described by the things they wear...
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I was really impressed with this book. I like William Tapply's Brady Coyne series, but to be honest, I'm not much into books framed around lawyers, even the good guys like Brady.

BITCH CREEK is the first in a series with Stoney Calhoun, a guy with no memory of his life before five years ago. He's made a new life for himself in Maine as a fishing guide after being released from a hospital where he spent nearly 18 months recovering from being struck by lightning. At least, that's what he was told
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Gwen by: mystery book club, April 2016
Shelves: book-club
Another entry in our book club's list of "male wish-fulfillment fantasies!" Last month was City of Women, this month was Bitch Creek. Kate drove me nuts: her agreement with her husband about the relationship with Stoney, she's 40-something but looks 20 years younger, all sex and no talking, etc. Very annoying.

As for Stoney, I was frustrated that there was *still* mystery about his past. Even in Maine (the land of spotty internet and cellphone service), he should have been able to piece together
BITCH CREEK (Amateur Sleuth-Maine-Cont) – G
Tapply, William G. – 1st in series
The Lyons Press, 2004-Hardcover
Stoney Calhoun was struck by lightening and doesn't really remember his past. But he has created a life for himself in Maine, working in a fishing shop, taking turns with his new friend and fellow worker, Lyle, guiding fisherman, and having a relationship with the shop's owner. When Lyle takes out a tourist and doesn't come back, Stoney's guilt drives him to find Lyle's body and his killer
Oct 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Stoney Calhoun has been living in Dublin, Maine for 5 years after being struck by lightning and having his memory zapped. He is working in a small bait store tying flies and as a fishing guide. Stoney's co worker and best friend Lyle does not return from a guide trip and Stoney involves himself in the search for his friend. Stoney feels that law enforcement is some how connected to his past but he cannot recall. Stoney's only connection to his past life is the "man in the suit" who randomly visi ...more
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bitch Creek introduces a new character for author William G. Tappley of the Brady Coyne series. Stoney Calhoun is a man without a past due to getting struck by lightning. This first book sees Stoney choosing to settle in Maine where he works as a fly fishing guide and shop keeper. His fellow guide is murdered, and since Stoney set him up with the client instead of taking the client himself. he feels responsible and sets out to find the killer or killers. Tappley is an experienced writer of this ...more
Alfred New
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: william_tapply
I like this series with Stoney Calhoun better than the series with Brady Coyne. Even though the premise is more unbelievable, somehow it actually seems more believable to see Stoney Calhoun investigating murders then Brady.
The one thing that I am NOT happy about with the author, William Tapley, is that he has a propensity to kill off girlfriends and other people close to his protagonist: I really hate that
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I first read the third (and final) book in this new Tapply series. While I did not like the plot, I ws intrigued with the character of Stoney, so I looked up this first book in the series to learn more about him. I found this book, Bitch Creek, much more enjoyable that the other ( I forget the exact name, was it Black Tiger?). The plot was more reasonable, or at least made some sense in its own terms,
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit like Robert B Parker had Spenser and Virgil Cole/Everett Hitch, Tapply had Bradley Coyne and Stoney Calhoun. In both cases, the latter is the country cousin, in a good way. Close to nature and Thoreau like values. Bitch creek is a very enjoyable read and I look forward to the very few other stories Tapply dedicated to him.
Kimberly Ylitalo
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This was my first William G. Tapply book experience. I think I expected a bit more but was not disappointed on the whole. Have two more Stoney Calhoun books on the shelf...and look forward to cracking the spine on the next one. Enjoyed all the fly fishing references and the setting in Maine. I'm thinking that more will be revealed about the mysterious Stoney Calhoun in the next book.
Jeanne Martin
Ambiance bien installée, personnages intéressants, charme du décor (espaces naturels du Maine).

L'histoire est tirée par les cheveux, avec même quelques invraisemblances. Il faut toujours qu'il y ait des nazis à traîner dans un coin...

Quelques clichés de genre, mais peu irritants. (Untel n'avait pas la prétention de comprendre les femmes / le surhomme qui sait vachement bien se battre...)
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
#1 in the Stoney Calhoun series.

Stoney Calhoun, ME fishing guide, seeks to avenge the death of fellow guide Lyle McMahan. Stoney has no memory before spending 18 months in a VA hospital after being hit by lightning; he gradually discovers talents for fishing, home building, and law enforcement skills. He has an affair with his employer, Kate, with the approval of her dying husband.
Carolyn Rose
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Great sense of place (Maine) and terrific description to put me in the scenes. Interesting premise - the character struck by lightning with holes in his memory and a feeling there are things perhaps he doesn't want to know. But I wasn't able to feel as close to the characters as I like to.
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
My husband recommended this book... Not because he read it, but because he is an outdoorsman and read about the author somewhere. I think he was hoping I'd get interested in fishing! I enjoyed the book, but really have no new interests in hunting, fishing or other outdoorsy things.
Dec 31, 2009 is currently reading it
Reviews how much of what we really know is stored in the interface between the brain and the physical body. BITCH CREEK's marvelous fisherman and guide is gradually learning his past skills from what his body remembers how to do without conscious memory when he is threatened or ruminative.
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this 1st Stoney Calhoun mystery. It really is a good mystery--and since I read these out of order, I leaned a little about Stoney's past. Will look for the 3rd in the series but then not sure if that is the end or not since I see Mr Tapply died a few years back.
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: outdoor-mystery
Seems like the bourne Identity.....the whole not knowing who you were....little far fetched with the relationship with the married women he works with but the guy in the grey suit keeps it interesting. Will definitely read another in the series
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • The Man Who Risked His Partner
  • Body Parts (Tally Whyte, #1)
  • Torch (Rhona MacLeod #2)
  • Frozen Stiff (Claire Watkins, #8)
  • Slay Ride (Christopher Miller Holiday Thriller, #1)
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
  • Death Angel
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2009
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2007
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
William G. Tapply (1940–2009) was an American author best known for writing legal thrillers. A lifelong New Englander, he graduated from Amherst and Harvard before going on to teach social studies at Lexington High School. He published his first novel, Death at Charity’s Point, in 1984. A story of death and betrayal among Boston Brahmins, it introduced crusading lawyer Brady Coyne, a fishing enthu ...more
More about William G. Tapply...

Stoney Calhoun (3 books)
  • Gray Ghost (Stoney Calhoun, #2)
  • Dark Tiger (Stoney Calhoun, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
  • The Cabin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bones of Paris (Harris Stuyvesant, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99