Start by marking “Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life” as Want to Read:
Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life

Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life

"Leadership from the Inside Out," Kevin Cashman's breakthrough business bestseller that clearly connected personal growth to leadership effectiveness, is now completely revised and updated with: -an explosion of new validating independent research
-impressive new case studies
-new tools and practices
-an even more powerful virtual coaching experience
Still framed in seven s
Published September 1st 2008 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership from the Inside Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership from the Inside Out

James
I often bemoan the vapidity of leadership literature which treats 'leadership' as a silver bullet which cures whatever ails any organization. Nevertheless the genre of business leadership has two sorts of books which have some important things to say:

1. Books which address managerial systems, administration, systemic approaches
2. leadership as personal development.

This book is very much the second sort of book, which is a sort of Self-help for the Corporate soul approach. Cashman proposes that t
Mark Wilkerson
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Leadership from the Inside Out is a book I was expected to read for a Graduate-level class on Educational Leadership. After the first few pages, I was turned off by the "meta-talk;" I am naturally weary of self-help gurus who name drop celebrities who they have helped to transform the lives of, and I was quick to dismiss Cashman as "one of those people."

However, a few chapters in, about the point where Cashman speaks of "leading authentically," I knew that there was something in this book origi
Tom Jenckes
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: academic
I searched for a book to use in my Business leadership class at Argosy University. This book met my every need. The dean was very impressed with my find. The students in my class were really turned on by this book. I recommend it highly!
Tony Vynckier
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Mr. Cashman has captured the timeless principles of leadership development.
Cashman's definition of leadership gets at the very core of personal growth and fulfillment.
He provides a comprehensive road map for individuals to inspire others and to assure personal growth and development in the people with whom they work.

As much as we try to separate the leader from the person, the two are totally inseparable. “Leadership is not simply something we do. It comes from somewhere inside us. Leadership
Mark Manderson
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very basic info but still grabbed some nuggets.
Takeaways:
There is only one true failure in life and that's not believing in oneself.
If you are irritated with every rub then how will your mirror get polished. - Rumi
Rand Hall
Mar 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh, dear. What a load of navel-gazing New Age hooey.
Alesia
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great information just tough to get thru
John Brown
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
It had a lot of good principles, but sometimes an author captures the material in a way that impacts your life, other times it doesn't. This one just didn't work for me.
Dale Critchley
Good self evaluation tool, but he goes off the rails for awhile on a transcendental meditation rant. Definitely better as a print or ebook than audio.
Ce
Sep 23, 2016 marked it as to-read
Textbook for Lee Ann's Emmanuel OB class
Hans
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
I'm so used to Leadership books and their cosmetic approach that this one caught me off guard. Instead of the typical worn-out American mantra of "7 steps to Awesome", this author actually contends that Leadership is a by-product of a healthy inner world. Where one's individual relationship with their own internal demons matters more than all the "Power Habits" one develops. He argues that true leaders source of strength and influence comes from their integration of all aspects of themselves. We ...more
Janice
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This isn't a quick read, but it's a valuable read. This is one of those leadership manuals/workbooks that would be really great to do in a small group or with a mentor to guide you along the way and to talk about all the parts. I didn't do the lists, writing everything down, but read for concepts/ideas. I did however, copy (shhhh) some of the pages as I would like to write through them, ponder them, and discuss with friends as I learn and grow. This book is a definite must read for those either ...more
JoAnn
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every time I leaf through this book I find more gems. Great for taking stock of oneself and deciding on new avenues for personal and professional growth. Cashman presents seven “pathways” that offer leadership development for individuals. They include Personal Mastery, Purpose Mastery, Change Mastery, Interpersonal Mastery, Being Mastery, Balance Mastery and Action Mastery.

Rather than relying on “action-able checklists” and to-do’s, Cashman believes that only by knowing ourselves through honest
Arun Mahendrakar
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure if this book is only for the CEO's and other top-level management people. This book is for anyone how is looking at leadership skills at any level. Also, pretty much anyone who wants to develop his personality should read this book.

I have now started to look at my 'shadow beliefs' to improve myself.

"Try not to become a man of success. Try to become a man of value." - from the book.
Rozana
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading the first couple of chapters & then I found it to be like a text book. I guess the style of reading is not page to page, but more like a reference, especially for leader training programs / workshops.
A great resource though.
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the book because it was very New Age Self-Help jargon. I did like the common-sense advice given in parts of the book, and I liked the introspective questions throughout. That said, I won't be recommending this book to others.
Lila
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is quite incredible. I read it once but reading it again illuminates the topic of leadership so much more the second time around. I appreciate how the author draws from some of the best sources out there to culminate the masteries. A must-read for leaders!
Veronique Pigeon
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
A-m-a-z-i-n-g-! All concepts can be used - which I'm using as a certified professional coach with my clients! Mr. Cashman's brilliant concept and delightful writing has made this book my favorite in terms of leadership development.
Sambasivan
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It could be a life altering book if you decide to follow the principles laid out in this book. Backed by research and inundated with a lot of reference books, this book clearly articulates the how of becoming a great leader. Must read.
Daun Omega
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book, on the esoteric side. Thought provoking especially in regards to the dealing with one's shadow side.
Dirk Fecho
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really a great listen for the car. Empowering, inspiring and just some straight talk about being a leader from the inside out.
Mary
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT book! Can refer to it over and over again even after finishing it. Talking about leading with SOUL...
Kristin Kinman
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is a lot in this book to be applied and I think that I could get new ideas each time I read it.
Monica Meagher
Jan 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish this book. Too religious.
Debra Kocher
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and thoughtful. Great for anyone who is interested in understanding themselves, their world, and their relationships - ALL their relationships.
Bisher
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love it.
Nancy
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Don't appreciate a book of quotes from others. Still a couple of chapters were thought provoking.
David Shechtman
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Filled with incredible and useful nuggets of learning.
John
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a long time manager and corporate leader this book proved relavent and applicable for todays leaders.
Heather Rehmus
rated it it was ok
May 26, 2018
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • Leading with Questions: How Leaders Find the Right Solutions by Knowing What to Ask
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • The Leader's Companion: Insights on Leadership Through the Ages
  • Transformational Leadership
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person
  • Leadership Can Be Taught: A Bold Approach for a Complex World
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • Energy Leadership: Transforming Your Workplace and Your Life from the Core
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Leadership Without Easy Answers
  • The Call of Service
“SEVEN CHANGE MASTERY SHIFTS • Change Mastery Shift 1: From Problem Focus to Opportunity Focus. Effective leaders tend to perceive and to innovate on the opportunities inherent in change. • Change Mastery Shift 2: From Short-Term Focus to Long-Term Focus. Effective leaders don’t lose sight of their long-term vision in the midst of change. • Change Mastery Shift 3: From Circumstance Focus to Purpose Focus. Effective leaders maintain a clear sense of purpose, value, and meaning to rise above immediate circumstances. • Change Mastery Shift 4: From Control Focus to Agility Focus. Effective leaders understand that control is a management principle that yields a certain degree of results. However, agility, flexibility, and innovation are leadership principles that sustain results over the long haul. • Change Mastery Shift 5: From Self-Focus to Service. Effective leaders buffer their teams and organizations from the stress of change by managing, neutralizing, and/or transcending their own stress. • Change Mastery Shift 6: From Expertise Focus to Listening Focus. Effective leaders stay open and practice authentic listening to stay connected with others and to consider multiple, innovative solutions. • Change Mastery Shift 7: From Doubt Focus to Trust Focus. Effective leaders are more secure in themselves; they possess a sense that they can handle whatever may come their way; their self-awareness and self-trust are bigger than the circumstances of change.” 0 likes