Start by marking “Grumpy Old Gods Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Grumpy Old Gods Volume 2

Grumpy Old Gods Volume 2

The Grumpy Old Gods are back in this second installment of mythical fun. Join us for 13 new tales of deities that are retired, reborn, waning, or AWOL from their assigned posts as they hilariously navigate life, death, and everything in between.

To ask other readers questions about Grumpy Old Gods Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grumpy Old Gods Volume 2

Start your review of Grumpy Old Gods Volume 2
Jacqui
Aug 17, 2019 added it
Another excellent collection of stories where the gods are almost human as they struggle to balance the crazy men and women they are supposed to be managing. And not always well. This includes over ten stories ranging from Game Night to Best Laid Plans to Purr Like an Egyptian. Most are based in the present like Hammer Down; some in the past like The Oaken Goddess while some seem to be kinda of a mixture (like Game Night). There are even a few vampires thrown in to augment the gods!

I
Rhonda Hicks
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review is based on "Herme's Penitence" by Juneta Key. She was part of the authors in Volume One and I so enjoyed her story I knew I had to read her contribution in Volume Two. I'm so glad I did. Hermes is a card-carrying member of the gods and goddesses Pantheon Association. But because he made a little side trip before delivering a message to Celesta, Herald of Death, from Hades and because, of course, Herme thought having a ghost in the mortal world occasionally made things interesting, Had ...more
Donna
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This boxset of short stories all feature one or more god or goddess from mythology as a character, with a mix of Greek, Norse and others. I love the variety of ways that the authors have brought those gods into more modern contexts, and would definitely recommend this boxset to anyone who enjoys reading myths but is open to seeing those characters in a new, often funny setting. I hope to read a new boxset soon!
NB I received a complimentary copy of this book, but I always give an HONEST rev
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, humor, paranormal
Funny, Sometimes Thought-Provoking, But Uneven

This is an amusing, if somewhat uneven, collection of short stories written about what the title suggests, grumpy old gods. There are 12 or 13 short stories in this collection. Some made good use of puns; some were downright hilarious; some even made you think a little. Because there are so many authors in the collection, the writing is uneven. Not all the authors included are masters of the short story form. I've actually tried to write
Iseult Murphy
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
13 tales about aging and angry gods from different pantheons, as the title suggests. I enjoyed the anthology, and four stories stood out in particular.
1. The Oaken Goddess by Aletha Wade. A story of gods from a different planet. Imaginative world building makes me interested in reading more about these characters, especially House.
2. The Fateful Voyage of the Fortunate Seven by Shawn Klimek. A humorous, well thought out story featuring Japanese deities.
3. Herme’s Penitence by Juneta Key. Cerb
Michael D. Kanner
Admittedly, I bought this because I am planning to submit to future versions of this project.

Like many anthologies where there are multiple authors, the quality of the stories is mixed. Most are pretty good. Those that were not fell into two categories
1) They jammed a number of gods from multiple pantheons into the story so there wasn't a focus.
2) The gods discussed were obscure so that a great deal of time was dedicated to exposition. Not that this was true for all authors. E.E. King's "Ho
Dan Kalin
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
First and foremost, let me say I love the Grumpy Old Gods anthology concept. I'm also reasonably familiar with the work of some of the featured authors, enough so to spend my ill-gotten coin without a second thought. However, the story quality is wildly uneven and the book felt as though it was put together rather fast. Even so the mix is entertaining, if not especially memorable, and a fast read. My favorite stories were "Hammer Down" and "Hermes' Penitence" in a dead heat, followed closely by "Hot ...more
Ellen
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
What a fun collection of humorous and original stories about what the gods and goddesses really get up to when they're retired and out of the spotlight! I loved the variety of pantheons presented (Greek, Norse, Egyptian, Aztec etc) and learning about gods and goddesses who I hadn't heard of previously. A great light-heated anthology which will leave you smiling and wonderful way to discover some new authors.

NOTE: I received an ARC of Grumpy Old Gods and voluntarily chose to leave an
Heila
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The stories delivered on the humour promised in the title. I really liked each author’s view of the gods. Most of the stories are really well-written, and some are just not for me. I really enjoyed the humour of the story featuring Anubis by Ronel Janse van Vuuren – it’s laugh-out-loud funny.

I recommend it if you like to read about old myths with new twists.

*I received an ARC of this book and this is my honest opinion.
Susie
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

This collection of short stories by various authors is a fun romp, with gods and goddesses breaking curses and stealing back mythical hammers in exchange for motorbike repairs. The writing is generally great, but short stories are tricky, and not all of these authors have mastered the form yet.

Urszula
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ancient gods placed in modern times reality plus a little paranormal bits. They do their jobs in a modern fashion but still are themselves. Interesting reality and plots. Well created characters. Sometimes different and good to read. Good read for myths fans.

Heather Wamboldt
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grumpy Old Gods Volume 2 is an anthology of fun stories of the Gods of mythology. These are irreverent, quirky, and fun the read. I really enjoyed these short stories.
I read and reviewed a copy of this book with no obligation.
Barbara
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Grumpy Old Gods series a set of paranormal short stories, that are short and fin to read. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Pat Eroh
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great anthology of 13 stories each with different grumpy gods. I found some of the stories irresistible and some were not as much as is in most anthologies. Overall, the book was a fun and fantastic read.

Shannon
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun set of short stories that all center around gods and how they can be almost human. Each tale is fun to read.
Lynda Young
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This anthology is particularly good for lovers of mythology. What happens when the old gods get old, when people forget them, when the modern world encroaches? It’s a fun read with a broad spectrum of different mythologies from different cultures.

I’d have to say my favourite story was O’Brien. I loved the writing style and found it wonderfully magical. I also loved Hammer Down, Wine and Mazes, Best Laid Plans, Hotel Quetzalcoatl and so many more. In fact I’m not sure there was a stor
Shawn M Klimek
Aug 02, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Cat
Oct 25, 2019
Toi Thomas
Nov 02, 2019
Juneta Key
Aug 02, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Vanessa Wells
Aug 08, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Rachael
Aug 09, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Brenda Jean
is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2019
Jennifer Quail
is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2019

• The Titan's Treasure (Olympus Academy, #1)
  • Her White Wolf (The Academy of Amazing Beasts #1)
  • Rogue Skies
  • Earth: Giants, Golems and Gargoyles (Elemental Anthologies, #2)
  • The Vampire's Priceless Treasure (Nocturne Falls, #11)
  • Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life
  • Dark Divide (Cormac and Amelia Story)
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Art Before Breakfast: A Zillion Ways to be More Creative No Matter How Busy You Are
  • The Vampyre; A Tale
  • Framed (A Novella of Suspense)
  • Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader's Eye-Opening Journey Across the Life Line
  • The Hike
  • Descending Into Madness (Winterland Tale #1)
  • Rise: An Anthology of Change