Start by marking “Murder in the Family” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Family

Murder in the Family

When murder stays all in the family . . . Storm chaser Molly McClelland must return to her small Alabama hometown when she unexpectedly inherits her hoarder aunt's house . . . and all of its contents. Despite her suspicions that her aunt was murdered, Molly wants nothing more than to sell everything and get back to the life she loves. Especially once her homecoming reignit ...more
Published September 17th 2019 by Firefly Southern Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Family

Start your review of Murder in the Family
David Szatkowski
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is at once particular, in that it is a murder mystery, and at the same time universal in touching on themes of family, healing, and the power of greed to destroy lives. The characters are believable and likable, and the situations described are all too common in our world today. I encourage you to read this book both for enjoyment and as a way to consider how love, healing, and forgiveness have the power to transform our lives.
Jane
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I want to give you a glimpse into a great mystery novel I finished reading in two days. Murder in the Family, by Ramona Richards. I had the opportunity to meet Ramona at a writer’s conference in California several years ago. At that time, she was an acquisitions editor in addition to following her passion to write mysteries. When I saw this recent novel, I couldn’t wait to read it. I wasn’t disappointed!
The main character, Molly, received news that she’d inherited her Aunt Liz’s estate. M
Marie
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you in advance to JustRead Publicity Tours, Firefly Southern Fiction, and author Ramona Richards for providing a review copy. A positive review was not required, all words and thoughts are my own.

“A Murder in the Family” is what I would describe as a “cozy mystery” – “subgenre of crime fiction in which sex and violence are downplayed or treated humorously, and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community”. This novel fits right into that, though I found it “
Kathleen
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read. I couldn’t put it down until I finished it. Lots of twists and turns.
Janice Garey
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Review Title: Greedy Meets Generous in a Hoarder's House (Review of Murder in the Family by Ramona Richards)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars

Ramona Richards covers a lot of ground, literally and figuratively, in Murder in the Family. The main setting will grab the interest of readers right from the beginning. Within a close knit small town community lived a beloved retired lady who became a hoarder by default in her later years. Relatives and others found her to be s
Suzie Waltner
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ramona Richards weaves a tale of a family torn apart by generations and years of greed.

The last thing Molly McClelland wants to do is return to Alabama and take care of her aunt’s estate. But she’s the only one her aunt trusted to distribute it fairly and according to her wishes.

The hoarding aspect of Murder in the Family is both unique and interesting to the book. Richards’ vivid descriptions of Aunt Liz’s home gave me the creepy crawlies at times (and made me ready to d
Darlene L.
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Storm chaser Molly McClelland’s world is interrupted from an attorney’s phone call. She’s inherited her hoarder aunt’s place and all of her belongings. Curious as to why her aunt would leave it to her, she returns to the one place she never wanted to see again—her hometown and all her greedy family.

Upon arrival, she immediately begins to suspect all is not what it seems in the small town in Alabama. Was her aunt’s death an accident or something more sinister? On her quest to rid the
Deborah Maxey
Oh wow! If you are looking for a great mystery with lots of twists and turns, great characters that are like folks you might know (only maybe wayyyy more interesting) and issues that are real like, greed then this is a great read for you. I thought I would just start reading it and make time for a chapter or so a day...well silly me, this writer got me hooked from the beginning and I read it in two days with what little spare time I had. Enjoy!!
Ane Mulligan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It was the first book by Richards that I read, but it isn't the last. I immediately bought several others of hers to read. What a great mystery! There were quirky characters, and twists and turns I never saw coming. I've become a real fan of cozy mysteries, and especially of Ramona Richards' books. Do yourself a favor and get this book!
Merry Chapman
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Storm Chaser Molly McClelland left her small Alabama town 20 years ago due to a dysfunctional family with lots of unsavory issues. If you want a roller coaster ride with lots of twists and turns and red-herrings, this is the book to read! When Molly finds she inherited her Aunt Liz's estate, she is forced to come back to town to dispose of the estate, she is once again met with some serious family issues. Will she be able to accede to her aunt's wishes that Russell her aunt's lawyer presented he ...more
Robin
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twisty turny edge of your seat great book. Mystery and disfunctional family all rolled into one story. Very well written and I highly recommend this book. I received an advance reader copy from Light House Publishing of the Carolinas. Opinions are my own.
Mererid Evanna
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a compelling story about a hoarder's will, a troubled family and a decent Alabama community. From the beginning storm-chaser Molly suspects her greedy relatives murdered Aunt Liz for her stuff, but there's more to it than that. A lot more. I was impressed with the competent way Molly handled sorting out the overcrowded Victorian house and her fiercely assertive response to unreasonable demands. Small wonder the community took her to their hearts. I thoroughly recommend this clean, enthra ...more
Evonne Hutton
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Skeletons start falling out when there is a murder in the family!
But no matter what those consist of, it can actually lead to a place to call home.
A well written story that held my attention.
Christi
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, reviewed
I was a young adolescent when my paternal great-grandfather passed away. Before the land had settled over his grave there was a battle for his estate, the effects still felt in my family to this day. It nearly ripped my family apart and I distinctly remember my mother telling me that peoples true colors come out when there is a death in the family. So true.

Molly McClelland also finds this fact out at an early age, after the passing of her grandfather, with family greed so abhorrent t
Erin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: justread-tours
My Thoughts on Murder in the Family:
Mystery novels are definitely my thing. I love them! It’s so much fun to get lost in a great mystery novel and try to solve the mystery before the author gives us the answer.

This book was so fast-paced and it took some thinking to remember who was who and why they were important. It was also a bit interesting to try to remember why certain people were so intense on wanting what they weren’t supposed to have.

As a member of a family who’s had
Kari (momfluester) Instagram
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-be-read
Murder In The Family
By Ramona Richards

I absolutely loved this Southern mystery with some thrillers thrown in. I was flying through each page and felt like I had developed a personal relationship with the main character, Molly McClelland.

When Molly must return to her family that had been torn apart decades ago due to familial rifts, she isn’t all that thrilled. Not only is their bad blood and bad memories but she was also appointed the Executor of her Aunt’s Estate a
Gina Holder
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
If ever there was a book that fit the adage “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” it aptly applies to Murder in the Family. The author is new-to-me, so I have no idea what to expect when I opted to read this book, but I am so glad I did.
Murder in the Family asked all the perfect “What if” questions. Imagine a girl storm-chaser who lives out of her jeep, owning only the bare minimum, is suddenly given the responsibility to distribute the belongings of an absolute hoarder.
Molly hates stuff (junk, m
Amanda  H
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, this book was hard to put down! As soon as Molly set foot in her childhood small town full of secrets with a hoarder's home as an inheritance, I was hooked. Twenty years before, her family was ripped apart by greed, so she took off and never looked back. When she inherits her aunt's home, all the old wounds are re-opened.
I like that this book has so many different layers, both to the characters and the story that unfolds. How does one become a hoarder? What happens when a crime
Karen
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every family has some deep dark secrets, but Molly McClelland’s family takes the cake! Long-time family feuds (of which Molly knew little about), murders, and some ancestral miscreants make this a fun, interesting, intriguing read! After her aunt Liz’s death, Molly is brought back to her hometown as she finds herself the heir to Liz’s estate. Much to her dismay she discovers her aunt’s hoarding has rendered the job of executrix very troubling and trying, as well as extremely unsafe. And the more ...more
Diane  Pitts
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Murder in the Family” by Ramona Richards left me thinking, “What a plot!”

A fractured world produces fractured people . . .who happen to be in families. And oh, what a family surrounds Molly McClelland. She’s tried to leave them all behind. That is, until her Aunt Elizabeth beckons her from the grave to a deadbeat town in Alabama.

Molly didn’t just walk into a disaster. She walked into murder. Murder in the family.

Ramona Richards’ writes with the pithy expertise of an editor. Craftin
Louise Pledge
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I started and stopped and started and stopped. I guess the only reason I finished is that I kept checking Amazon reviews, and they alluded to something appealing coming up before the end of the book. They were wrong.
J.C. Fuller
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed the read!

Thoroughly enjoyable read. A little God, a little mystery, a little romance, a little action and suspense and a ton of the warm and fuzzy! Good concept.
Emily Yager
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
An interesting murder mystery that exposes a lot of dark family secrets. The family dynamics within the plot were well handled and the story deals with a lot of familiar issues that make this story feel very relistic. An worthy mystery that is a great read.
Judy Maharrey
Sep 30, 2019
Debbie
Oct 23, 2019

• All in Good Time
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Deadly Commitment
  • In the Cradle Lies (Tree of Life #2)
  • The Witness Tree
  • Summer of Suspense: Sixteen Tales By Some of Christian Fiction’s Most Popular Mystery and Suspense Authors
  • Always Look Twice (Uncommon Justice, #2)
  • The Bright Unknown
  • Stand Alone (Sola, #4)
  • Aconite and Accusations: Mystery (The Witches of Wormwood Mysteries Book 5)
  • A Last Gift (Teatime Treasures)
  • Say You Love Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #4)
  • Strands of Truth
  • Smoke Screen
  • Forged Through Fire: A Reconstructive Surgeon's Story of Survival, Faith, and Healing
  • Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • Where I Was Planted
I started making stuff up at 3, writing it down at 7, and selling it at 17. I've written 12 books. The latest is Murder in the Family, a suspense novel set in a small Southern town. My Mother's Quilts, a devotional based on the quilts I inherited from my mother, is the most recent devotional. I have six Love Inspired Suspense novels still available in ebook.

I'm also an editor, with mor