Start by marking “The Existence Of Amy” as Want to Read:
The Existence Of Amy

The Existence Of Amy

Amy has a normal life. That is, if you were to go by a definition of 'no immediate obvious indicators of peculiarity', and you didn't know her very well. She has good friends, a good job, a nice enough home. This normality, however, is precariously plastered on top of a different life. A life that is Amy's real life. The only one her brain will let her lead.
Published August 2nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Existence Of Amy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Existence Of Amy

Start your review of The Existence Of Amy
Bookread2day
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I particularly liked about this book is how author Lana Grace Riva has explored the topic about OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Many people suffer from OCD in different ways, that takes over the suffering persons life.

The challenge for Amy is every day tasks like traveling to work by bus, like she can't even press the bell to stop the bus or hold onto the pole to steady herself from the bus jolts. It's clear to Amy Do NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON THIS BUS.

Amy has a job, which made me wonder
Jayne Anderson
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled when this author contacted me to see if I would be interested in a copy of her book to review. Of course, I accepted and then the fear set in. What if I didn't like the book and I had to leave a review that was a bit sugar coated. I've always prided myself in being totally honest when providing my feedback. Thankfully, I can honestly say I truly enjoyed this book.

It was written in the first person, which is not a style I have read a lot of, but for this story it worked
Firetruckmama
I won a free Kindle copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway, for which I'd like to thank the publisher and the author.

I have to rate this book as "okay." Reading it, you quickly realize that there's something different about the main character, Amy. The story moved along (sometimes painfully slowly, but it did move), but at times I wondered what the point of the story was and in about the last 10% of the story, when the story then really moves, everything aligns and the point is, k
Anika  | Chapters of May
TW: mental health disorders

This book is hauntingly realistic. From the first two paragraphs I could identify with Amy and it struck a chord straight away. All she wants to feel is “normal”, but instead she feels she’s anything but. Her brain has complete control over her, it’s almost like she can’t think independently of her anxieties.

While reading this book, I really felt like I was transported into Amy’s head. Halfway through, I could almost predict what her next thought of action
Nicole
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really good mental health book, which follows Amy and her experiences with OCD and depression.

I didn't know much going into this one as it was kindly sent over by the author, free, for review.

I have to admit that adult contemporary books aren't usually my thing but I quite enjoyed this one probably because there was a large focus on mental health.

I really saw myself in Amy. As someone who has lived with OCD and depression, I really felt for Amy and I definitel
Candice
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an important read if you want to get a glimpse inside the mind of someone that suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Depression. Along with obsessive compulsive thoughts and actions, anxiety is a main component of OCD. As someone who suffers from anxiety, I was very involved in the reading of this book. There were a few moments that I had to put the book down and breathe and remind myself that I was ok and this wasn’t real. The feelings were very accurate.

Was the wri
Lauren Archer
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is all about Amy, who has a job, some great friends that she meets from her work. She wants a relationship and everything else that appears to be “normal”. What you get is a story about a girl struggling with OCD and Depression. Riva gives a great own voices story about how Amy struggles with practically everything,

For my full review, visit my blog at: http://obsessedbookaholic.com/2019/10...
AlliGrace Story
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I could not decide between a 3.5 and a 4, so maybe 3.75? I'm not sure yet though, but I will talk more about it when I film a video review (hopefully this weekend)
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Amy has a normal life.  Normal if you don't know her very well anyway.  She has a good job, some good friends and a nice enough home.  For Amy though, this normality is precariously placed on top of her real life, a different life, and the only life her brain will let her lead.

Content Warnings: OCD, depression, mentions of suicide

I knew very little about this book when I started it, I had only read the description on the back.  Lana Grace Riva contacted me via my blog and
Kristi Sawyer
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The author very kindly provided me with a copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review...so here it is:

This book made my heart ache. We are taken through the story of Amy, an OCD sufferer, who also has episodes of debilitating depression. Through the first 100 pages, Amy's description of her symptoms and her heartache at having to cancel social occasions and let her friends down, even when she didn't want to, was hard to read. It was so poignant and expertly-written that it could transpo
Hannah May Book Reviews

Synopsis:

Amy has a good job, good friends and a nice home. To everyone else her life would appear normal but to Amy it is far from it. The life she lives is different and far from ‘normal’ but is the only life that her brain will allow her to have.

Review:
The book cover and blurb of this book are simple and doesn’t give much away. The look of the book is quite plain and not exactly excited but I feel this is perfect for a story as the main lead has quite a difficult life where
Katherine Hayward Pérez
Amy has friends. She has a job and a home. She also has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Things she hates are going on the bus. social situations and touching things. She really does not like to be touched or hugged.

I really liked the way her work colleagues Nathan and Ed were with her (understanding, accepting and patient).In The Existence of Amy. author Lana Grace Riva, creates excellent awareness of OCD.

I was proud of Amy when she accepted going on a business trip to Australia, not just
Janell Madison
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Existence of Amy by Lana Grace Riva

Amy has a good job, Amy has a nice apartment, Amy has friends and is loved. So, why isn’t Amy enjoying her life? She feels there is no comfort in her world and she is failing at being alive. If you know someone who is struggling at living their life right now, this book will give you a look into their world of trying to look normal and trying so hard to live life. If you know someone who needs help, take their hand and lead them to it. Highly re
Cheryl
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Existence of Amy is a book about a women who has high functioning OCD and Depression. She is able to hold down a job (that she likes), maintain relationships (to a point) and make the motions of living a normal life. It is not often that you read about High Functioning mental illnesses and the Existence of Amy did a great job at expressing how hard it is.

On the outside, Amy looks to have it all. A great job, friends, a place to call her own etc. Sure, she usually has an excuse for missing
Louise
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health
I was contacted by the author on whether I would like to review their book, although the synopsis is vague I was told it had to do with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Order). Well... mental health related books are my thing! I enjoy reading about peoples experiences and how I relate to the characters....so long story short; I said yes I would love to read it.
This book follows Amy, she works as a designer for a digital company in London and loves it! What she doesn't love is the commute, she has
Quina (A Pretty Story)
BrittsBookClub
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was pretty good. I’m a huge fan of anything that brings awareness to mental health, so I thought this book did a great job in doing just that. The story tried to show us what it might be like for a person suffering from a mental health disorder. As someone who doesn’t suffer from severe OCD or depression, I gained great insight into what these people struggle with. It was painfully obvious that Amy wished to participate in all of the normal day-to-day life things of her frien ...more
Court
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The author reached out to me and sent a free copy in exchange for my honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I suffer from anxiety myself so I definitely understood where Amy was coming from and related to her a lot.

I think this was a very good and well written representation of mental health. It can be glorified and romanticized in the media, but mental illnesses can be extremely debilitating. This really captured that aspect and how it can completely take over you
Alina BARAC
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔼𝕩𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕟𝕔𝕖 𝕠𝕗 𝔸𝕞𝕪 is one incredible book that offers an in-depth experience in the life of a person suffering with mental health
I found myself in many of Amy's feelings and found out how bad mental health is affecting my life
Amy is one of us. A girl with a normal job friends and a life just like ours. Or maybe not .
She is actually different in the sense that she suffers with depression and OCD. She is loved by her colleagues and friends but all she sees is darkness. This ha
Lel Budge
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and depression, she is fully aware of her condition and really just wants a ‘normal’ life.

She has a job and friends, but her life is ruled by the OCD and it’s accompanying anxiety, all of which she tries to hide. Her close friends are aware and they are kind and so supportive.

I found this to be a compelling read, it’s a contemporary, compassionate story with an insight into mental illness and the importance of friendship. It’s realistic wi
Bookworm Blogger
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an eye widening tale of living with mental health. Not only does Amy suffer with her day to day living she doesn't feel like she can tell anyone the truth about why she doesn't show up at work socials or why she is nearly always late into work. My heart ached several times for Amy and part of me wanted to shake her and tell her to be honest with her friends.

This was a thought provoking read and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. For my full review please click the link below:
Becky Powell
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I want to thank Lana Grace Riva for reaching out to me asking if I would be willing to read her book in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book!

On the outside Amy appears to have it all. She has a good job and lots of friends. What her friends don’t know is that Amy suffers from severe OCD and anxiety which eventually leads to a depression so deep that she is not able to function.

This book was such a great opportunity to learn more about mental health and how someone c
Karen Kingston
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Lana Grace Riva for a copy of her book in return for an honest review.

I was intrigued by this book - I hadn't heard about it before I was contacted by the author. However I quickly became hooked on Amy's story. Amy has OCD - so has developed a whole host of coping strategies for going to work on public transport and having to be in contact with strangers and 'unclean' items. She copes at work but often avoids social events...

The further I read, the more real
Donna
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kayo
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I would read a page and tell myself, this has to get better. And I would read on, and I'm sorry to say, it never did get better. What a letdown.

Thanks to Goodreads Firstreads for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Christi Massey
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I really found myself annoyed at the main character a lot, I still really loved this book. GREAT glimpse into the life of OCD. Great read!
Georgia - whatsinmywonderland

• Emily, Gone
  • When We Believed in Mermaids
  • Lies Lies Lies
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • I Wanted You To Know: A powerful and life-affirming novel that will stay with you forever
  • Bolt
  • A Dancer's Guide to Africa
  • The Bottle of Tears
  • Curing My Venom
  • Hide and Seek (Criminal Profiler #1)
  • The Earthquake Doll (Revised Edition)
  • Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA and More Tell Us About Crime
  • Plan of Action (Lantern Beach PD #5)
  • Dead on Arrival (Lantern Beach P.D. #4)
  • Hidden Currents (Lantern Beach Mysteries #1)
  • First Degree Murder (Lantern Beach P.D. #3)
  • Flood Watch (Lantern Beach Mysteries #2)