Start by marking “The Woman with Wings” as Want to Read:
The Woman with Wings

The Woman with Wings

In this heart-warming tale of female empowerment, a young woman comes to terms with the revelation that she may be able to fly.

Alison Spedding is a loner; no real friends, no boyfriend and a job in which she goes unnoticed. At thirty-two, her only passion is birdwatching.

One afternoon, high on a Scottish mountain, earnestly waiting for the rarest of sights – a white
Published November 7th 2019 by Endeavour Quill

To ask other readers questions about The Woman with Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman with Wings

Start your review of The Woman with Wings
Cathy
I really enjoyedIke and Kay, the author’s previous book so was keen to read his latest novel. I have to sayThe Woman With Wingscould not be more different fromIke and Kaywhich I think goes to demonstrate the author’s creativity and versatility.

How Alison reacts to the seemingly improbable realisation that she possesses the ability to fly can be read as an allegory of her journey to empowerment and independence or as a genuine questioning of accepted reality. After all, there are many things in
Erin
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC!
The Woman with Wings is the story of Alison, a 30-something Londoner who works in IT at a large ad agency. She is somewhat of a loner and an avid birdwatcher. When she and her bird watching group are in the process of tracking a rare eagle in the mountains, Alison is involved in an accident that leaves everyone, including Alison, questioning what exactly happened. Alison should be dead, but instead she meets back up with her worried group
Pam Robertson
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an evocative book with a distinctive voice. Alison is an intriguing character from the beginning. She attempts to stay in control at all times and is a lonely figure in many ways. When she is out bird watching, she notices tiny details about the environment and you can't help but think that she looks at the world as a bird might do. She also pushes out of her mind questions which she cannot answer and tries to ignore the extraordinary things which seem to be happening to her.
The other
Jade
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book kept me coming back for more, but I can't say that enjoyed it that much. I kept coming back in the hope it would have a good ending and give me some reason for why this book was written. Ultimately this book just left me wondering why?
We follow a women named Alison through her life. She likes her own compaine and loves spending her free time bird watching or listening to her dads views on life. This all starts to unravel when she is up a mountain bird watching and she falls. Alison
Edna
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

At 32, her only passion is birdwatching. That is until one afternoon, high on a Scottish mountain, Alison experiences something that causes her grip on reality to slip. As her mind begins to spiral towards breaking point, her infatuated colleague, Jed, is concerned. Can he intervene before Alison finally loses control?

The Woman with Wings explores one woman’s identity whilst posing universal
Richard Burke
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is this book a mystery? A love story? A black comedy?
In fact, it's probably a little bit of all of the above. During a bird watching expedition, Alison Spedding survives what should have been a fatal fall. A short while later, she finds herself back in her hotel room with no memory how she got there. The only evidence is on a camera, which seems to imply that she was flying.
As the story progresses, Alison, who works in IT, struggles to understand what really happened. Along the way, she has to
Annarella
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well written and fascinating story that I found engrossing and enjoyable.
I liked the well thought characters and the the great plot.
It's the first book I read by this author and won't surely be the last.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Bonnye Reed
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: earcs
3.5/5 Rounded up to 4

RTC tomorrow as part of tour
Cristie Underwood
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This one wasn't enjoyable for me. I don't know if it was the tedious details the author provided or the story itself, but I had to force myself to get through this one.
Lorraine Valentine
P M PEACH
Nov 24, 2019
Fiona MacVane
Stephanie Elizabeth Townsend
rated it did not like it
Les Read
Helen Garratt
Goodreads Librari...: Request to add book cover 2 12 Oct 14, 2019 09:46AM

• Moral Compass
  • Christmas at Ladywell
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Ayesha at Last
  • The Foster Child
  • The Storyteller
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • The Stolen Kingdom: An Aladdin Retelling
  • Happy Christmas Eve
  • The Other Daughter
  • Dying To Tell
  • Hard Hit (Jon Reznick, #6)
  • Uccidi il padre
  • A Tap on the Window
  • Dark Clouds Over Nuala (The Inspector de Silva Mysteries #2)
  • The Final Curtsey
James MacManus has worked in the newspaper business for 46 years. He is currently the Managing Director of the Times Literary Supplement.

He is the author of On the Broken Shore (The Language of the Sea, UK edition), and Ocean Devil: The Life and Legend of George Hogg which was made into a film starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers

His latest book, Black Venus, is a vivid novel of Charles Baudelaire and his