Jump to ratings and reviews

Evergreen

It’s 1901—a brave new century—and seventeen-year-old Grace Boisvert thinks it’s high time to forget that she’s a dryad; being able to talk to trees just doesn’t seem very useful in the automobile age. A little hair dye to touch up her green roots, and she’s off to join her best friend Alice Roosevelt for a visit to glamorous Newport, RI, with her family’s warnings not to fall for any human boys ringing in her ears.

As it happens, the only interesting boy in Newport, Kit Rookwood, clearly prefers Alice to her. But that changes when he and his family unexpectedly follow them to a secluded Adirondack camp to join Alice’s family. Grace finds herself falling in love—and not just with the breathtaking forests.

But sometimes stern family warnings really should be heeded and ancient magical heritages not forgotten, especially when it turns out that not everything—and everyone—are quite what they seem...

286 pages, ebook

First published November 5, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Marissa Doyle

24 books253 followers
I try to write the kinds of stories I most enjoy reading...which means stories with heroines finding out who they are, their strengths and purposes, and where they belong in the world...and usually saving the day in the process (no damsels in distress here!) It means romance, but not with a capital "R". It means a lighter tone because I write what I like to read and I'm not really into cathartic reading...so you might want to think twice before picking up my books if you like dark and angsty reads as I might not be your cup of tea. I want to write mini-vacations for readers--give you stories that are fun and satisfying and put you into a good mood for when you close my books, smile, and step back out into the real world.

So there you go.

Oh, and for my bio--married mom of three young adults, life-long New Englander, passionate about history and research and anything from the past, and devoted to my adorable pet bunnies, whose photos I tend to paste all over Facebook. I don't review books much here on GR, but I have catalogued my library on LibraryThing and enjoy talking about books both there and here, so don't be afraid to say hello. And if you want an occasional newsletter with info on upcoming books, freebies, and more, visit http://eepurl.com/bVDwlf

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (13%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews
Profile Image for Susan Chapek.
306 reviews24 followers
Read
September 28, 2020
Gush warning: I adored this story. It does some of my favorite things.

It's History in a Fresh Era (1901) and setting (the manicured gardens of Newport, RI and the semi-wild Adirondacks).
Unusual fantasy trope--Dryads.
Mystery and romance, not just a romance.
Coming-of-age.
Weaves the fiction and the fantasy deftly into well-known historical facts. (And accessorizes with lots of fascinating lesser-known tidbits and personalities.)

Marissa Doyle has checked most of these boxes in her earlier Bewitching Season series. But the writing is even better in this, the characters more compelling (some of them historical figures portrayed living their pre-fame lives) and the magical world is not only amazingly worked out--it also made me wish that the Dryads were still protecting the forests right now!

This coming-of-age story leaves off, poignantly, at a Happy-for-Now moment--with more growing-up to come. So there will be a sequel. But the ending is not a tease--I was reminded of the Anne of Avonlea books, where each story feels complete, though it's lovely to know there'll be another.
Profile Image for Sheri.
1,923 reviews
November 4, 2019
Evergreen by Marissa Doyle

Seventeen year old Grace Boisvert wants to go with her friend Alice to Newport Rhode Island. Grace is no ordinary girl she is a Dryad, able to communicate with trees. She is warned by her family not to fall in love with a human and to be careful. Nothing and none one is what they appear to be. She starts to fall in love with a young man named Kit. This is a Summer of awakening for Grace as her family legacy is about to be revealed.

Set in 1901 with an original plot. Descriptive and enchanting, I was easily brought into Grace's magical world. The characters are well developed and very likable. Interwoven with some true (historical) events and people, I was hooked from the first page until the end. Overall I found Evergreen very entertaining and feel that (Y/A and Adult) Fantasy lovers will enjoy it as well.
Profile Image for Teresa.
796 reviews1 follower
December 23, 2019
I'll admit that my attention was caught right away, but then there was a third of the book that established it's position as a YA novel with 17-year-olds and their teenage drama. For me, this meant I couldn't give this book a 5 because it took so long to get past the drama and to the meat of the story. This portion took place in Newport, RI. There was even a luncheon at Rosecliff which is my favorite mansion. After a summer in Newport, the girls travel to the Adirondacks in New York to spend family time. This part of the book is when things really change. Grace starts to truly understand what being a dryad means. In New York, we encounter mystery and suspense and my hope for a second book. :)
P.S. I loved the historical aspect of the book. It sent me to the internet to see if I could find out more about Alice. I especially love a book that can teach me something. :)
Profile Image for Wendy Lewis.
223 reviews
May 13, 2020
I really loved this book. It's a historical/fantasy YA and very well written. It takes some time for the romance to come to a "boil" but that makes it all the better, because we get to learn more about the protagonist, Grace, and her coming of age with her dryad abilities. Very lovely and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Profile Image for Literary.
1,027 reviews149 followers
November 22, 2019
This story combinations fantasy and history while seen through the eyes of a young adult Dryad girl. It is not quite what one expects with a friendship between Grace Boisvert and Alice Roosevelt. The dynamic of their friendship is similar to many best friends, yet with a magical thread running like a river's current, it takes them on a tumultuous journey full of adventures and challenges. At times Alice dominates the story leaving Grace as the side kick and the fantasy elements take a back seat until late in the book. When they do become the focus however, the pace is ignited. The historical setting and characters do enhance and the love triangle between Kit, Alice and Grace delivers a pretty fun read overall.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Aprilswritings.
38 reviews2 followers
November 28, 2019
this is the story of Grace, a Dryad who goes on a mini vacation with her best friend Alice, and soon discovers her new Dryad abilities while on vacation. She is warned not to fall in love and soon finds out its a lot easier said than done.
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.