Start by marking “The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)

The Rainbow Season

(Turner's Rainbows Saga #1)

Luke Turner
An outcast, they called him "bad blood" from his boyhood in a tarpaper shack to his nights in a prison cell.

Sarah McGowan
Her roots were deep in the Texas soil. But her secret shameful love for her sister's husband kept her from happiness.

Pride and their love of the Texas land threw them together in an unlikely marriage. Then, as unexpectedly as a spring flood,
Published August 1st 1989 by Warner Books Inc (Mm) (first published August 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainbow Season, please sign up.
Sara Hmm, it sounds like Touch the Wind by Janet Dailey
But that book is a contemporary, written in 1979 I think.
A warning tho, if you have read other…more
Hmm, it sounds like Touch the Wind by Janet Dailey
But that book is a contemporary, written in 1979 I think.
A warning tho, if you have read other Janet Dailey books this isn’t like her regular stories.(less)

Sandra Brown
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Rainbow Season by Lisa Gregory (aka Candace Camp ) is one of the books that made me want to be a writer. As a matter of fact, I attended my first writer's conference because Candace Camp was going to be speaking. I won't tell you how long ago that was...but this book still sits on my keeper shelf! #RomanceWeek15
Mo
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was quite a sweet read. Returned bad boy. The town looks down their noses at him. He always maintained his innocence and some folks believe him. He is given a second chance by the McGowan family.

"Wait a minute, boy," McGowan said. "If you want to work for me, you can't be so all-fired jumpy."

Luke was a bit jumpy alright. He felt the world was out to get him.

One of the reasons I picked it is that Karen loved it and SANDRA BROWN loved it too and she has been one of my favourite authors over
Naksed
Talk about a misleading cover! Here I was, thinking this was going to be one of those trashy Jackie Collins style Hollywood guilty pleasures, and it ended being one of the sweetest, small town, aw shucks, love stories with just cute as buttons, really likeable protagonists. It reminded me in some ways of LaVyrle Spencer's Morning Glory, a highly rated romance with a similar plot and themes but that one fell short for me because it was too hokey and saccharine. Here, on the other hand, I feel tha ...more
Karen
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Ok... WOW...how do I rate this book. I've got to say, it's very dated, but I really did love it! I couldn't seem to put it down. And it was an old yellowed paperback that someone sold at the Goodwill store. I couldn't find the Kindle version online so I went with the old crusty pages, and my trusty desk lamp.

I heard about the book through Sandra Brown, our favorite suspense/romance writer, who apparently read the book when she was young, stating that it was one of the books that inspired her to
sraxe
I know this book is over thirty years old...but I still can't just ignore the Rape Culture perpetuation of this book. There's a time or two that Luke thinks of Tess and Sarah as bitches. There's also the grandmother thinking of Julia as the "sluttish sister." There's Sarah thinking about Luke being with some "unknown beautiful slut" and Stu saying that Luke will come home "reeking from some cheap slut's perfume."

The worst, though, was how Tess's character was panned in the book. The reader never
Crista
Have you ever read a book that captured your attention from the very first sentence, captivated you and took you to another place and time, and became more important to you than food or sleep? THIS is one of those kind of books. I read both this story and it's sequel Rainbow Promise back to back nights. While I am exhausted while writing this review, I have a grin on my face I as I recount this amazing love story.....(one that is CEMENTED on my keeper shelf!)

Luke "Digger" Turner has returned to
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
I have never read a hero like Luke Turner before - sullen, feral yet vulnerable and defensive like a hurt young animal. His character immediately grabs your loyalty and empathy like a h does usually. Life has never given him a chance, shaming and knocking him down for crimes and sins he didn’t commit. He is 2 years younger to the h, which only adds to the allure apart from his lean hungry sexiness, of course!

It is a heartwarming story of two very different people pushed by destiny into a moc. S
Keri
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Bad boy Luke Turner has been released from jail for a rape charge that he didn't commit. He has made a vow to himself that his life was going to change for the better. He comes out to the Texas farm of pretty, older Sarah McGowan and is hired on as an extra hand. Sarah at first doesn't think of Luke in a romantic sense, because she was filled with daydreams of her sister's husband.

But a tragedy brings Luke to the forefront of her mind and heart as they work together to save her farm. After they
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Turner's Rainbows Saga series. An oldie and somewhat goodie. I've seen this listed as a fave and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. I may just not be in the mood for dark romances. This wasn't really dark but had some tearjerker moments. Luke (Digger) has had a rough life and ended up in prison when a girl falsely accuses him of rape. But he's ready to pick himself back up and earn enough money to get out of town and start new. Sarah's father hires him to help on ...more
Feminista
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Regan Walker
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Redemption Romance Texas Style...

First published in 1979, THE RAINBOW SEASON was a pioneering novel in the early years of modern historical romance. But you’d never know it. It reads like one that could be written today.

Set in a Texas farming community of strong Methodist values, likely in the late 18th century, it tells of 25-year-old Sarah McGowen, who secretly pines for her sister’s husband and has an active fantasy life. She wants her own family but has rejected suitors she doesn’t love. The
Brenda H
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah McGowan is the dutiful daughter, living with her parents and helping on the farm. She has reconciled herself to life as a spinster as she hides her shameful secret of being in love with her sister’s husband. Luke Turner is the local “bad boy” who grew up on the wrong side of town in a tarpaper shack and never had a chance. His wicked temper finally got him in trouble when he ended up going to jail for rape. After Luke is released from prison, he is hired by Sarah’s father as a farmhand. So ...more
Yuana
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018, historical
Shilpa
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
despite the super tacky cover , it indeed is a cosy romance and the kind you remember long after you've read it
Dendera
*** 4.5 Stars ***

Although this story is beautifully written and is a great one, I had to give it 4.5 stars instead of 5 for one simple reason. Being that it just seemed highly unrealistic for an ex-convict (hero) to be taken in by a respectable family (heroine's) in the old days and be treated like a real gentleman by them. Also, was unrealistic and a bit foolish was the fact that the heroine's father was actually able to entrust his daughter in the hands of the hero and leave them all alone on
Anne OK
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Very dated - but worth the read. I love an old-fashioned horse and wagon love story. A farm with its growing season problems, an old house filled with the smells of down-home cooking that carries so many memories for a close-knit family. Add in a bad boy ex-con who has only been scorned and rejected his entire life who comes calling in hopes of landing a job and a chance to change his pitiful life. And the farmer's daughter might be the answer to all his desires.

The Rainbow Season is a touching
Onu
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This was such a lovely little story, heart warming. Loved both the characters, Luke and Sarah. A quaint little story about two very likeable and real characters. Their insecurities, their fears, all seemed so real.The writing was simple but I think it suits the simple but poignant love story of Luke and Sarah.

Moriah
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well, now, this was a really sweet little book. The old-style lightning-fast POV switches (listing definitely toward third-person omniscient) were a little tough to get used to (again), but gave a solid flavor to the book it might not have otherwise had.

I'm partial to the "hard work and pragmatism makes everything better" philosophy, so this was a real treat for me. I expected to see the later family introduced almost swayed to the town's point of view, but that didn't happen at all. Wasn't even
Regina
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved Luke Turner. I ached for him, his heartbreaking childhood, and unjust prison time. To see a man brought so low brings up all kinds of rescue tendencies in me, and I could understand the reasons for his behavior and sullen defiance. Luke made you want to just make everything better for him. Sarah was an insecure yet kind and fair woman and perfect for Luke. My favorite stories have unrequited love elements to make things a little complicated, and sure enough, Luke's knowledge of Sarah's l ...more
Nishtha
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
After a long time, I got to read a classical story which was not completely a romance but a story tagged under 'marriage for convenience' ( still not a love story, the protagonists didn't love each other at first. Sarah is older and Luke has just come out of prison after
five long years and the man didn't even do the crime.)

Hero and Heroine, Luke and Sarah, both were likeable characters, the narration was quite good and I even liked the helping characters like Henry, Stu, Jenny and Edna.

A four
Mar
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Luke and Sarah immediately. Luke truly was the down trodden hero that you wanted to come out ahead. Sarah was the dutiful sister and daughter who'd denied herself happiness. Once I began reading it was difficult to put the book down.

I read this book at age 15 and have kept it in my collection. Every now and again I must go back and relive Sarah and Luke's journey to love and confidence. A beautifully written story. Quite romantic.
Lucinda
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I still love this book. It's been several years since I read it and will probably be several more before I read it again, but the romance of Luke and Sarah of a young man wrongfully sent to prison and a young woman who believes she's in love with her sister's husband.... Well, read it and find out!
Missy
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book....... have read it many times.
Lynda
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Marriage of convenience or forced marriage romances are among my favorite genres. This author gives new dimension to this theme by making the characters both strong minded and complex.
Rosemarie
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really sweet book. Both hero and heroine were both extremely likable, but they had flaws they needed to accept or overcome. The heroine, Sarah, is older than the hero, Luke by a few years, but that doesn't really signify. Luke is a mix of lost boy and young man mature beyond his years, because of his life experiences, and Sarah is envious of her sister's good fortune and fancies herself in love with her brother-in-law. Slowly their love builds, although I was afraid Sarah was never go ...more
eaeaea
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical-faves
I read this book in my 20's and it left a lasting impression.
The h has a secret passion for her sister's husband but plays the role of good girl. When they try to set her up with other good guys, she feels resentment and yearns to rebel. Enter the Hero - Turner, younger and released from prison, now working as a farm hand with her Daddy.
Forbidden passion builds, then tragedy strikes and they are thrown together.
The sex scenes are less graphic than today's but the slow build steam is there.
A real
Mona
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is perhaps one of my all-time favorite romances (and I have read a lot of romances). I adored this book many years ago, and I still adore it (it's got that longevity thing). Lisa Gregory is actually Candace Camp, who is a mighty fine author and highly recommended by me. So glad I was able to add this 2-book series to my Kindle library. I hope some of the other books written under the Lisa Gregory pseudonym are Kindleized (yes, new verb!) in the future.
sandy forguson
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great and emotional book between Sara and Luke turner who Omer come many obstacles would highly recommend my book is falling apart I have read it so many times and never tire of the story it’s s keeper 👍👍👍👍
Natalija
This was a good book, but a couple of things bothered me: constant head-hopping, which is typical for books written before 2000, dubious first sex scene, and a personal pet peeve of mine — a character who is constantly running away.

• Parting Gifts
  • Conor's Way
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Joe's Wife
  • The Portrait
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Two Texas Hearts (McQuillen #2)
  • Dream Fever
  • A Hearing Heart
  • Cherish
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
Pseudonym of Candace Camp

Candace Pauline Camp was born on May 23, 1949 in Amarillo, Texas, U.S.A.. The youngest of three children born into a newspaper family -- her mother, Lula Mae (Irons) Camp, had been a reporter and her father, Grady Camp, was the business manager of the Amarillo, Texas, newspaper -- some of Candace's earliest memories are of making up stories which she played out on the floo

Turner's Rainbows Saga (2 books)
  • The Rainbow Promise (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #2)