Start by marking “The Steve Machine” as Want to Read:
The Steve Machine

The Steve Machine

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Auden flees the small town of Capreol for Toronto, bewildered, HIV positive, and in search of an entirely new personality. He falls in love with orgy maestro Wrik, mainly because the old Auden would never even have talked to him. And through Wrik, he meets Steve Reinke, his new best friend.

Steve – and here’s where it gets confusing – is, in real life as well as in The Stev
Published October 14th 2004 by Coach House Books

To ask other readers questions about The Steve Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steve Machine

Tiffany
Sep 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those in the mood for something alternative
If this book was real life and I had met Hoolboom's version of Steve Reinke, I would think he was a cult leader wannabe, a whack job with questionable motives and sanity. But in Hoolboom's world, the one where "The Steve Machine" has the power to "cure" disease and alter the core of someone's personality, I mildly enjoyed this book's improbable insight. (Very mixed thoughts, I know, but such is how I feel about this book.) I personally think this book is a demonstration of the placebo affect (a ...more
Curt Bozif
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Steve Reinke was my professor for two years at Northwestern University and I'd feel comfortable calling him my friend. That's why I read this book. I even had Steve sign it. Oh yeah, the book, well, I actually didn't like it. I thought Hoolboom was a little too into his writing and forgot about his readers. It actually got less interesting as it went on. Though, there were some nice descriptions and Steve has a bunch of great one liners. Gay Fiction. Aids. Video Art. Short. Death. Canada.
Lukas
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Got this for my birthday, much anticipated cause I love Mike's work. It got me excited about video art again. He's got a great voice, sharp wit and it's a great Toronto story.
dimwig
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: canada, lgbtqasdf
hoolboom's interest in second lives manifests in semi-autobiographical story of transformative power of illness and intimacy and creativity. new subjectivity realized through (hiv-)positivity.
Drew Ferguson