Start by marking “The Pact” as Want to Read:
The Pact

The Pact

What if a prank leads to murder?

When Freya arrives at her dream job with the city's hottest start-up, she can't wait to begin a new and exciting life, including dating her new colleague Jay. However, Nicole, Jay's ex and fellow employee, seems intent on making her life a misery.

After a big deadline, where Nicole continually picks on her, Freya snaps and tells Jay about
Expected publication: November 28th 2019 by Zaffre

To ask other readers questions about The Pact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pact

Start your review of The Pact
Miriam Smith
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: readers-first
After previously reading “Shame On You” by Amy Heydenrych and thoroughly enjoying, I was over the moon to be able to read this author’s latest novel “The Pact”. An exciting premise and enticing first few pages had me engrossed immediately.
Sadly though, as the book progressed it slowed down dramatically and didn’t seem to move anywhere. I didn’t take to any of the characters and lost all interest in who killed Nicole. They were all rather odd and I was quite dismayed to learn that all tech
Liz Barnsley
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to follow for the tour.
Priya Shrinath
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amy has discussed some bold and empowering topics that women suffer in the modern world at work place, and at public. It's more than just a plot in this book that deserves the 4 stars! It's a psychological thriller with so much to think about.

If you are searching for a women's fiction that portrays the current situation of almost every woman in the world, then this book could be your next!
janine
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I have really struggled to rate this one. The blurb sounded right up my street and I was really excited to recieve an advanced copy but in all honesty inwas left a little deflated.

The authors writing style is different to what I've read before, the characters literally come to life in your imagination and the storyline itself was great BUT truth be told i was rather bored

It's really slow going and I didnt completely connect with the story or characters.

I think the problem is is that when it
Rachel Hall
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
A potentially decent novel marred by its over the top female empowerment agenda that stifles any coherent plot & a slow pace.

Despite not having read Amy Heydenrych’s first novel, Shame on You, I was aware that it was recognised as making some very pertinent observations about the all pervasive world of social media. The premise of The Pact intrigued me and I had high hopes for a tension fuelled workplace thriller with a look inside one of Silicon’s Valley’s hottest start-ups and women in the
Charlotte
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
‘But later, beneath her begging and protestations, one fact remained: while she never meant for her to die, she did want to hurt her, just a little.’

Deciding on a rating for ‘The Pact’ was harder than it generally is for me. Summing up my feelings was simple enough but picking a fair rating for them gave me pause. Why? Because when I was hooked this book felt amazing which makes me want to give it a high score. Yet I can only give it an average one because of the issues that I had with it which
Jacqueline  sharp
Nov 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Every parent wants to protect their child, but sometimes you can push them away by being to protective and not letting them grow a little, giving them some trust.

Rosie is almost 16, she is going through all those teenage problems that girls go through, rebelling.she wants to party like her friends. But 15 year old Rosie in now lying in a coma, fighting for her life, she has been sheltered all her life. But Rosie has secrets, she has secret social media accounts that her mum and aunt don’t know
Diane
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping and chilling suspense novel about the deadly intentions of office life, for fans of Lesley Kara's The Rumour and Michelle Frances' The Temp.

What if a prank leads to murder?

However, Nicole, Jay's ex and fellow employee, seems intent on making her life a misery. After a big deadline, where Nicole continually picks on her, Freya
Miss R
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Net Galley for a an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Apart from the editing, which is forgivable in an advanced, proof copy, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is fast paced with enough twists and turns to keep the reader’s attention. Broadly speaking, the story revolves around the murder of a start-up tech high-flyer, Nicole Whittington. The backdrop of the murders a tech firm with its simmering tensions of bullying and sexual harassment. Particularly
Helen Appleby
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a gripping psychological thriller that I devoured in a few evenings and would be a great holiday read. If you have read and enjoyed The Rumour then you will love this as it is a very similar book. This is a good thriller based on how office dynamics can turn nasty and lead to disastrous consequences. It also explores the subject of work place bullying and how office romance and the quest for power can be the driving force for something serious to happen if things are allowed to spiral ...more
Erin
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
“What if a prank becomes murder?” One of the first things that caught my attention to read this book along with the pile of hands smack bang in middle of the front cover and how the spot on title “The pact”. These things on the front cover sparked my imagination of what could be going inside the plot of the story. Intrigued by all this and the climax of the blurb I knew I had to read this book and I found myself loving every minute of it.

The way that the author painted these different
Hazel Tyson
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a perfect example of how people can think they know someone, but really they haven't even scraped the surface! Also how bullying can be a 24 hour thing now, all thanks to the big world wide web!
Freya has just landed her dream job. It all seems to be too good to be true, new job and a new man. The only fly in the ointment is the ex Nicole, and she seems to be doing everything it takes to make Freya's life a misery. But what if that could all change? A simple joke, a taste of her own
Ria
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Freya has just started her dream job as a coder for Atypical, it seems the happiest place on earth to work and she even has a new romantic love interest in Jay another employee, her boss Julian is fantastic and the only downside is another girl called Nicole.
She makes Freya's life a misery from day one and when Freya finally snaps she and Jay do something they can't take back so they make a "pact" to never tell.
But Nicole is murdered that night, were they somehow to blame...?
Did their prank lead
Emma-Hope Newitt
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
[GIFTED// Net Galley in return for a review]

This book had everything set up to be a great thriller but it was incredibly slow paced for me. The author has placed in some fantastic twists and turns but it was difficult to stick with this book.

I did complete it but the conclusion and journey of getting there could have been fitted into a shorter book for sure. It does have a good plot and characters though! I couldn't give it a higher star review for its slow pace.
Bobby
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the setting of this book, in a high flying organisation where people are desperate to work and succeed. I also enjoyed the story and the impact obsessive relationships and competitive environments can have. The only thing I didn't really like was the title 'the pact' as I didn't think enough was made of this especially in light of the ending.
Shkolnikjx
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book! Really good description of characters and a good storyline. Highly recommended. Kept me guessing.
Kirsty Graydon
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The blurb of this book had me intrigued and it did not disappoint! A great novel by Amy, touching upon many current issues, in particular those faced by women. Full of twists and turns, this thriller had me gripped and I found myself wanting to read more and more.

I found the characters easy to imagine and you can feel the struggles they are facing through the author’s writing. The use of social media/dating sites makes the novel very current but also highlights the unknown that comes with using
Caroline
Oct 20, 2019

• The Stranger Inside
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • The Lying Room
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler, #2)
  • Woman in the Water
  • The Fallout
  • The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
  • This Little Dark Place
  • Die ewigen Toten (David Hunter #6)
  • The Other Wife
  • Truth Hurts
  • Mind Games
  • The Last Day of Winter
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Seven Days