Start by marking “Viking Ruhu: Nors Mitolojisi ve Dinine Giriş” as Want to Read:
Viking Ruhu: Nors Mitolojisi ve Dinine Giriş

Viking Ruhu: Nors Mitolojisi ve Dinine Giriş

Odin, Thor, Freya, devler, cüceler, valkürler, Hel, Valhalla, Ragnarok… Dünyada en çok ilgi uyandıran mitolojilerden biri olan Viking mitolojisine dair 34 hikâye, bu kitapta bir araya geliyor. Daniel McCoy sadece bu alandaki benzer kitaplardakine kıyasla daha fazla sayıda mitolojik öyküyü bir araya getirmekle kalmıyor, bize Norsların dünyasını daha iyi anlamamızı sağlayaca ...more
Published August 2019 by İletişim Yayınları (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Viking Ruhu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viking Ruhu

Kaleb
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Viking Spirit is divided into two sections. The first section is about culture and daily life of the Norse people during the height of Norse paganism. There are 10 chapters in this section; each one dedicated to a certain aspect of Norse Religion. A few examples are fate, magic, places of worship, rituals, and perception of time. This was my favorite section because the myths are relatively popular. It also has information on the culture of the norse people which is harder to find. I have ye ...more
Alicia K.
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most readable books that is of scholarly value on the Norse religion and mythos that I've read. I enjoyed the author's attempt to apply some imagination to what it would have been like to live in the ancient stretches of northern Europe. It's well-done and well-reasoned. The endnotes are a bit strange, he doesn't always include the excerpts of poems and sagas that he references - requiring a bit more work for the reader than most endnotes do. I do feel like it's a "beginner's" ...more
J.M.
This one's tough because the first half gave me high hopes. I like that the author presented so many Norse myths, all with brief introductions at the beginning before the summaries of the myths themselves—or their best translations. After finishing the book, I downgraded it from four to three stars largely because I was expecting more of an introspective narrative regarding the Viking-centric cultures that adhered to the specific myths and cosmology, even if it is more authorial conjecture than ...more
Katharine Wibell
The Viking Spirit by Daniel McCoy is an exceptional book for those who are interested in Nordic life and its effect on mythology. McCoy breaks the book into two parts. The first educated the reader on the culture, society and mentalities of the Viking peoples at the time they believed their myths. He explains how the Norse ideology embodied the core values, beliefs and ideals those people had and how that mutually affected the lure of Nordic Mythology. Why did Thor represent the ideal man? Why L ...more
arturo
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!
This book is all you want as an introductory book to the Norse World. It's divided in 2 sections. The second part (yes, let's begin with the 2nd part) collects almost all the well know myths of the Norse Mythology. If you like the Norse world, you may know almost, if not every, myth told there, from the reason Odin has only one eye, the construction of Asgard wall to the Mead of Poetry, Thor the Bride and more.

The 1st part, and the one I liked the most, Daniel McCoy really gives a brief
Nic Bowen
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first on the vikings so I was a complete novice. All I can say is for anyone who is starting out or just wants a good read I very much recommend this book. So easy to read and Daniel McCoy writes very well and informative as well. I'm now on a new book and new topic and I very much miss this book as I had so much fun reading it. I'm still to find a book that has more mythology in it with a combination of Norse history. He has a brilliant website that goes hand in hand with his b ...more
Elizabeth
While I enjoyed this book and got a lot of good information out of it, I recommend not reading it AFTER Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology (or at least not in close proximity). The myths presented in this book feel like a synopsis of a longer piece. Admittedly, this is because the author goes to lengths to present the most accurate Viking-era version of the myth, which sometimes means paring away details that were added later.

Still, it's a good read, especially the first half which has some excellent
Gretchen
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weaving-the-wyrd
Comprehensive. However, I thought that McCoy's retellings of the myths were lacking in life and detail.

I did appreciate the epilogue though. He asserts that myths and storytelling evolve over time, and while finding and following old sources are important, embellishing and crafting the old tales into new myths is also extremely valuable. Perhaps this is why his retellings are so sparse- to encourage his readers to fill in the details with our own stories.
Zandt McCue
I was excited going into this book to learn more Norse Myths. The excitement quickly died when I was introduced to Daniel's writing style. It was very flat-line. The myths themselves, which you don't get to until past a hundred pages in the book, have brief introductions to them which are better than his telling of the myths. Two stars are only given for the few myths I didn't already know.
John W. Leys
This book is intended as a introduction to Norse/Viking Mythology and culture for the layman. It is written in a fairly accessible style and contains a plethora of information and retells many of the best known tales from Norse Mythology. He also includes many footnotes and a large bibliography if one is inclined to read deeper about these topics. However, there are some pretty substantial flaws in the book that a potential reader should be aware of:

1) The author presents his own theories about
Emma Harkins
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend read

Those who have any interest in Norse mythology (and indeed players of the most recent God of War game wanting to know more of the adventures set within it)this is a must read. I read the book within a few days, totally immersed in the realm of the gods and the stories behind them. The ideas that the gods were very flawed and far from perfect makes them very relatable to us mere mortals. The author captivates you from beginning to end and the book is very well paced, detailed
Suzi
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple, yet academic, book that is of great interest to those of us who believe we have Viking ancestry if we came from Anglo-Saxon families. I could see the personalities of some of my family in a few of the Viking marauders!!!!

The chapters about Viking beliefs, customs, culture, and religion are great. It made me realize how seriously we take the World around us at the moment. The stories in the second half of the book are like fables or legends, and I found them very informative. All in all
James Arseno
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're new to norse paganism (which is a very complex field) or Asatru in general, this is THE book I highly recommend to neophytes. Not only does it touch on all aspects of the mythology in well versed, pragmatic manner, but also on many cultural aspects that are equally if not more important to put things in perspective and have a better view & understanding of not only the Lore, but culture as well.
Andy
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-paced and informative without being overly dense. This is a great book for obtaining a basic understanding of both Viking and culture and religion, at least to the extent that the historical record is sufficient to give us that understanding, as well an overview of the basic Norse myths. Discussions about what elements from the myths are likely authentic versus Christian implants are also very helpful.
Fundinn
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I didn't know that much about Norse mythology; Daniel takes your hand through the whole process, while still remaining quite throughout and concise.

My only gripe, which was probably not the books intention is that since it tries to follow source material as much as possible I found the text to be incapable of taking a leap into more exciting prose. It just didn't feel organic.
Ezri K
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to Norse mythology. First half covers the cultural aspects of Vikings, and how it reflects their beliefs. Second half has the stories with a synapses on where the story was pulled from.
Only downfall is that it would have been really helpful to have transliteration for the norse words. Either next to the word when it first appears or at the end of the book.
Anthroheathen
McCoy completely sidesteps the academic controversies. For instance, he automatically conflates Frigg and Freya, though many scholars have argued that they have always been separate deities. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who takes mythology seriously, though the book is fine as far entertainment value goes.
Joe
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful exploration of Norse religion and myth! I enjoyed that the work focused on historical context and that it was easy to separate author biases toward the material. I had not realized how much inspiration modern authors have drawn from the Norsemen; it sometimes borders on plagiarism!
Leah Gary
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and relaxing at first glance.

This is a very prolific writer and author. The book is very well written and researched. Norse mythology will never be dull or boring if you read this book. I highly recommend it to anyone.
Laurence
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically informative and well-researched, this introduction provides one of the best insights into Viking culture and disperses some common misconceptions. A must-read for anyone looking into the topic.
Ling Ling
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read, I like that it tells you the folks stories that inspired these brutal warriors. I was hoping that it would go in depth with sigils and other rituals, but this was not the book for that.
Steinbjörn Jónsson
Good and accurate description of the myths and sagas in the Nordic culture.
Sean
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

A great book. A deep-dive into Norse mythology that is not densely academic. Great for those just starting or as a refresher for those who've done previous studies.
Roy Fremouw
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel offers a great introduction into the Norse Mythology in a clear and easy to read way.
Michael Ramm
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A great introduction, and jumping off point, for learning about the Norse Pantheon. I knew a lot of the stories already, but learned more of the history of the stories behind the myth.
Brandon
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect introduction to Norse Mythology. Highly recommended it if you are interested in this subject.
Robert Bevill
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to the book, Loki gave birth to all the female monsters in the world.

It's really interesting learning about my stepfamily's ancestry!
Volsung
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in a simple, easy to understand way. Offers an excellent introduction to pre-christian Norse spirituality and myth
Allisonperkel
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If you are into Vikings, this book gives insight into how we have the stories we have and how the Norse religion may have operated. Fun read
adam smalley
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

It has not only a great sample of myths but also a decent analysis of the Norse and the reasoning behind them

• Myth and Religion of the North: The Religion of Ancient Scandinavia
  • Religions
  • The Merriam-Webster Thesaurus
  • The American Promise, Volume I: To 1877: A History of the United States
  • Philosophy: History, Ideas, Theories, Who's Who, How to Think (EYEWITNESS COMPANION GUIDES)
  • The Little Red Writing Book
  • The Oracle: Ancient Delphi and the Science Behind Its Lost Secrets
  • Pagan Britain
  • Myths of Light: Eastern Metaphors of the Eternal (Collected Work)
  • Darwin's Cathedral: Evolution, Religion, and the Nature of Society
  • Nature's God: The Heretical Origins of the American Republic
  • The Saga of the Volsungs: With the Saga of Ragnar Lothbrok
  • The Library: An Illustrated History
  • Gods Of The Ancient Northmen
  • Marx Engels Lenin Trotsky: GENOCIDE QUOTES: The Hidden History of Communism's Founding Tyrants, in their Own Words
  • The Vikings
  • Species with Amnesia: Our Forgotten History
  • Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
“But the attitude that Viking society held up as the ideal one was a heroic stoicism. In the words of archaeologist Neil Price, "The outcome of our actions, our fate, is already decided and therefore does not matter. What is important is the manner of our conduct as we go to meet it." You couldn't change what was going to happen to you, but you could at least face it with honor and dignity. The best death was to go down fighting, preferably with a smile on your lips. Life is precarious by nature, but this was especially true in the Viking Age, which made this fatalism, and stoicism in the face of it, especially poignant.
The model of this ideal was Odin's amassing an army in Valhalla in preparation for Ragnarok. He knew that Fenrir, "the wolf", was going to murder him one way or another. Perhaps on some level he hoped that by gathering all of the best warriors to fight alongside him, he could prevent the inevitable. But deep down he knew that his struggle was hopeless - yet he determined to struggle just the same, and to die in the most radiant blaze of glory he could muster.”
2 likes
“The other sources, even when they mention Hel, rarely describe it. But when they do, it's cast in neutral or even positive terms. For example, the mention that the land of the dead is "green and beautiful" in Ibn Fadlan's account is mirrored in a passage from Saxo (The medieval Danish historian, as you likely recall). In Saxo's telling of the story of Hadding, the hero travels to the "Underworld" and finds a "fair land where green herbs grow when it is winter on earth." His companion even beheads a rooster just outside of that land and flings its carcass over the wall, at which point the bird cries out and comes back to life - a feat which is highly reminiscent of another detail from Ibn Fadlan, namely the beheading of a rooster and a hen whose bodies are then tossed into the dead man's boat shortly before it's set aflame. In both cases, the emphasis is on abundant life in the world of the dead, even when death and absence prevail on earth.” 1 likes