Jump to ratings and reviews

Chasing Bailey: A Lake Harriet Novel

In the charming Lake Harriet neighborhood where we first met Kristen, Ryan, and their dog Sam in Walking Sam, two people are struggling to put their lives back together with the help of a rambunctious dog named Bailey.

Lisa Evan’s life has been in turmoil since her husband, Andrew, left her nine months earlier. With two-year-old Abby to care for and a new full-time job as a school nurse, she’s just trying to keep her head above water both emotionally and financially. It didn’t help that her ex-husband gifted a rambunctious puppy to Abby for her second birthday. But Abby instantly fell in love with Bailey, so Lisa didn’t have the heart to say no. Even though Lisa’s quiet neighborhood is a great place for kids and dogs, there’s one neighbor who isn’t thrilled about Bailey—the hermit across the street. And try as she might, Lisa can’t keep the dog from digging his way out of the yard and running to the hermit’s house. But after one particularly nasty clash with the hermit, Lisa discovers that maybe the man across the street isn’t as terrible as she’d once thought.

Avery McKinnon moved to the quiet neighborhood to hide out after an extremely nasty divorce. In one year his entire world has fallen apart. His wife left him, he lost his house, and his novels are no longer selling as well as they used to, taking a bite out of his income. He’s bitter and angry and the last thing he wants is to become chummy with all the annoyingly happy people in his neighborhood. When the puppy across the street keeps running over to his house and digging up his yard, Avery explodes. Can’t that annoying woman across the street control a puppy? But when he finally sees Lisa for who she is, he realizes that maybe he’s been angry long enough. Maybe it was time to let someone back into his life. And then her ex-husband comes back into the picture and ruins everything.

168 pages, Kindle Edition

Published October 8, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Deanna Lynn Sletten

28 books499 followers
Deanna Lynn Sletten is the author of THE ONES WE LEAVE BEHIND, MISS ETTA, THE WOMEN OF GREAT HERON LAKE, MAGGIE'S TURN, THE LAKE HARRIET SERIES, and several other titles. She writes heartwarming women's fiction and romance novels with unforgettable characters. She has also written one middle-grade novel that takes you on the adventure of a lifetime.

Deanna has recently begun a new murder mystery series, The Rachel Emery Series which includes THE TRUTH ABOUT RACHEL and DEATH BECOMES YOU.

Deanna is married and has two grown children. When not writing, she enjoys walking the wooded trails around her home with her beautiful Australian Shepherd or relaxing on the lake in the summer.

Deanna loves hearing from her readers. Connect with her at:

Her blog: deannalynnsletten.com
Twitter: @DeannaLSletten
Facebook: facebook.com/DeannaLynnSletten

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
5 (1%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Penny Knowlton.
13 reviews
January 23, 2021
Avery is the neighborhood hermit, just wants to be left alone but his neighbor's puppy has other ideas. Bringing Bailey home forces him to start interacting with his neighbors. I enjoyed reading about the neighbor's adorable toddler and her best pal. Enjoyable, clean, sweet read.
160 reviews
October 17, 2020
For Dog Lovers

I liked this story although it was a little slow, also very predictable. However, since I keep reading this type of book, I must enjoy them.
Profile Image for Anita Rohn.
1,565 reviews5 followers
April 14, 2021
5 stars.for Bailey

A border collie, a toddler and two adults who need someone who cares and understands is a great story. Toss in neighbors who are familiar and bingo it's a hit.
Profile Image for Sharon Rudolph.
1,582 reviews
December 12, 2021
Great book

I loved this book!!! I only missed the epilogue, but I know this couple will be in the next book! This was a great story with great characters!
Profile Image for Susan (The Book Bag).
777 reviews67 followers
October 10, 2019
Chasing Bailey takes us back, once again, to the wonderful community of Lake Harriet. I love my visits there and have gotten to know some of the residents very well. It's always nice to visit them again.

Lisa and Avery are neighbors—two people who don't see eye-to-eye about Lisa's dog. One is a struggling single parent and the other one, a hermit. Maybe, just maybe, that dog might be the thing that brings them together.

These two people go through a lot, both together and individually. We watch their relationship grow and fall apart. As Lisa and Avery learn to lean on each other, they discover that they are more alike than they ever thought they were at the beginning.

The Lake Harriet stories are filled with loving, kind, and comfortable characters, people you would love to know and hang out with on a regular basis. And the books are all centered around a dog, a character who plays such an vital role in each story. These dogs are so wise and healing. And who doesn't love a good dog story?

Chasing Bailey is book #3 in the Lake Harriet series but it definitely can be read as a standalone. All the characters are intertwined through the books so it always feels like meeting up with old friends again. I absolutely love my visits to Lake Harriet and love that each new book introduces me to new people... and another dog.

Give the Lake Harriet books a try, I know you are going to love the people, and the dogs, as much as I do.
Profile Image for Amanda Altizer.
10 reviews
February 14, 2020
I really love the story so much cause it was very special story To read and I would read it again that why I give it five stars for. It is awesome book to read it before you go to bed at night or on very good evening before dinner when you just want to read a book at time when you are very bored at your house or at work on your break It make me cry at time while I was read it too.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💙💙 yeah good book to read it right now ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💙💙💙💙 was awesome book to read right now . I did love the story so much it. Thank you for writing this awesome book and I would definitely recommended this book to all of my friends to read. I really did like the book so so much great story and awesome ending to the story in the book great great book to read it was awesome book to read it really love the book and story so much and I would definitely read it again it after I read my next book 📚 It was the best story that I have really read in long time ok 👍 thank you ms amandaaltizer so much for writing this book it was awesome awesome book to read it now.

I really love the book so much I would like to read it again thank you for writing book.📚 Amandaaltizer
Profile Image for Terri Mastraieni.
108 reviews
October 24, 2019
Bailey: the hero

Third book in series that centers around romance and dogs. I enjoyed this series. The characters from the first two books were part of this book. It wad nice to see what happens to the characters as time goes by.
Profile Image for Janet Friesner.
937 reviews9 followers
October 11, 2019
Easy read.

Nothing spectacular, just a small feel good book that was easy to read and a wonderful way to relax and spend the day.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.