Start by marking “Shadrach” as Want to Read:
Shadrach

Shadrach

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  632 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews

Even after Davie had had the little black rabbit, Shadrach, for several weeks, it was still almost unbelievable. Every morning when Davie woke up it was a miracle all over again there in his grandfather's barn sat a little black rabbit, and it was his. David had never been happier... until the day Shadrach slipped through the slats of his hutch and disappeared.

Published September 24th 1980 by HarperCollins (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Shadrach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadrach

Starry
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reread.
This is a sweet story of a little boy getting and loving a pet rabbit. It's told with Meindert DeJong's amazing ability to understand the concerns and motivations of the very young. Even though very little happens, my children were riveted by the story, even my 9-yr-old son that usually gets bored when a book is all talk and no action. For example, DeJong conveys the agony of waiting a whole week for something good so convincingly that my children were in agony to hear what happens next.
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
a beautiful story of a little boy's love/obsession with his pet rabbit. what is beautiful about this book, and many of deJong's books, is that he is so good at capturing the mind of kids. what they see as important in the world, how sensitive they are to how adults react to them. it's almost painful to read and reflect and remember what it was like to be a kid once. any of deJong's books i highly recommend. this one was both cute and wonderful.
Josiah
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
First off: I love, love, love the main character in this book, Davie. Meindert DeJong has a unique way of letting us see the innate goodness and charm in the main characters of his books that serves to drive entire stories through their personal sweetness, and Davie is an absolutely perfect example of that. No one will be able to resist Davie; I'll just lay that out there ahead of time.

Another thing that Meindert DeJong does very well (quite possibly better than any other author whose material
Monica Fastenau
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book, like many of the early Newbery books, is fairly short and has an old-fashioned feel to it. The story is about a little boy named Davie who is going to get a black rabbit, which he names Shadrach. The story goes into Davie’s escapades before and after he gets his rabbit. To be honest, I felt like I was too old to be reading this book. Although many Newbery books are written so that adults can enjoy them and learn from them as well, this one was not. Dejong captured perfectly what it is ...more
Claire Dix
Apr 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
I vividly remember my mom reading this book aloud to my brother and I when we were in elementary school, and I remember all three of us being bored out of our minds (in fact I think we lost my brother about halfway through). My mom and I were barely able to finish it. For a long time after, if a book was very dull, we would say, “Wow, this book is almost as boring as Shadrach! Remember how bad that was?” This book is generally pointless. All the main character cares about is obtaining his pet ra ...more
Bhg
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of Boys

How delightful to spend time with a loving family. Great for any child who's wanted a pet of any sort. Loved the sibling rivalry - boys will especially appreciate the male attitude on a variety of subjects. Moms - be grateful we live in an age with antibiotics and vaccines. Who knows what illness he had, and survived! Great to actually have a father - and a mother!! - in a story plus grandparents.

If you're a Sendak fan, please don't be disappointed that he's still in his Marie Hall Ets phase.

Monica
Sep 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Cute youth book. Not exactly what I was expecting. It takes awhile to get into the book but the ending is very sweet.
Rebecca McNutt
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Fairly enjoyable story, but what really makes it worth reading are Maurice Sendak's lovely black-and-white illustrations.
Courtney
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book with the bunny was much better than the depressing book about the dog I read by this same author before I read this one. This one was delightful! It was full of very real, child anticipation, care, concern, admiration, all the feelings that kids have over their pets and their family, it was great.
Tiffany
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time getting into this book. I felt like it was slow and too detail-oriented and not enough action. That being said, my kids (ages 9, 7, and 5) seemed to enjoy it. They didn't mind how slow it was moving and were excited that the ending provided closure.
Jill
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: newbery-honor
There is a sweet innocence about this book in the way the author conveys the day to day activities and thought processes of a near school-aged boy. The narration is repetitive at times, but it is not a tiresome repetition. More like the infectious nature of watching a toddler enjoy the same simple game over and over. There is a gentle rhythm to the narration like the rhythm of the songs the main character, Davie, composes in his head. The illustrations, done by Maurice Sendak (of Where The Wild ...more
Metaphorosis
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2016-rev
4 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

Davie, a young Dutch boy, gets a pet caged rabbit, Shadrach. Once it arrives, it seems nothing goes right, especially when know-it-all big brother Rem gets involved.

I got this book for my 7th birthday, according to the inscription. A long time ago, but it's stuck in my mind for all these years, perhaps in part for its unusual phrase "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-we-go." Mostly, though, because it's so well written.

I'm not a big fan of rabbits as pets (though we had o
Steve Hemmeke
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meindert DeYoung is excellent reading for read aloud to children or the 8-13 age range. Fine for adults, too!

A Dutch Reformed author from 50 years ago, his worldview is Gospel centered, and leans away from the "too strict" camp.

In Shadrach, a father promises his little boy a pet rabbit. The whole book is an exploration of the boy's hopes and fears in expecting the rabbit. It is a well done look at how expectations can be shattered, diminished or adjusted by others or by events.

DeYoung really cap
Thomas Bell
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery-honors
I thought it was okay. A lot of people seem to think that the author understands how children think, but I would like to disagree. Maybe in some respects the author got it right, but I feel that they don't relate to children as much as other reviewers think they do. For example I don't think children consciously decide what they are going to sing about in their head days in advance. Some of the stories in it were cute though.

Also, I don't know what the whole just getting over being sick has to d
LibraryCin
Davie is just a little boy and he has been promised a pet rabbit by his Grandpa. But, he has to wait a whole week before the little black rabbit who will be named Shadrach will come home. The first half of the book was Davie's obsession and anticipation during the week before Shadrach came home. The rest of the book included trials and tribulations as poor Shadrach seemed to be getting skinnier and he managed to escape a couple of times.

This was cute. It being a children's chapter book, there w
Amy
Apr 28, 2012 added it
Shelves: sonlight
It is odd which books stick in your brain. This was the first book I disliked. In fact, for many years it was the only book I disliked. I thought the bunny was stupid. I found the characters weak. If I had known what the word insipid meant, I probably would have used it. But it has been so long, I wonder if the book is as bad as my childish memory painted it.
I'd forgotten about this book...and yet now that I'm thinking about it, I remember quite vividly my dislike. The first time I'd ever disl
Kathy
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this because my book club decided to read Newbery Medal winners from the years of our birth. This was an Honor book in 1954, so I decided to read it, too, because I didn't really like the Medal Winner, And Now Miguel. It's a rather bland story told from a young boy's point of view. In that respect, DeJong did a good job getting inside his head. Maybe that's why it seemed so uninteresting to me--a 6-year-old's thoughts aren't very profound. So, a child might like this book, but as an adult ...more
Linda Lipko
This 1954 Newbery Honor book was illustrated by Maurice Sendak. It is a simple story of a little boy and a black bunny. Davie longed for a pet. When he received his black bunny he felt it was a miracle. Shortly thereafter Shadrach the bunny escapted, leaving Davie feel responsible and terribly sad.

While the illustrations are wonderful and those of us who felt the joy of obtaining a pet and the sadness of losing the pet, I cannot recommend this one.

It is trite and fluffy.
Callie
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked this up in a second grade classroom based solely on the fact that it was the thickest book in the collection. I read 30 pages in just a few minutes and was charmed by the writing and story. I picked a copy up from the library to read the rest. I really liked this book. The family relationships shine and loving those you have, despite imperfections, is a lovely theme.
Becca
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
There is definitely some charming writing in this book, but when it was finished, I felt like nothing had occurred. I can't really say more without giving away the plot, but we weren't as fond of it as we were of DeJong's The Wheel on the School. A clever look inside a young boy's mind, although I was a bit disturbed by his recurrent lack of honesty.
Kristine Hansen
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Not a lot of plot, but the telling of the story is almost pure poetry, with a narrative that pulls you along, and a lyricism to the descriptions that not only paint a picture, but also paint the emotions of the scene. This has quickly become one of my favorite authors. Wonderful story of a boy and his pet rabbit.
Rebekah
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's good! A cute book, with just the right amount of conflict for a young audience. A likeable main character. Well rounded other characters. Humorous. Good sense of setting. A good read for children, and for adults who like children.
Vivian
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
It's been years upon years since I read this little charmer -- all I remember is the chant the boy's father said as he gently swung him once, twice, and three times into bed: "Shadrack, Meshack, to-BED-we-go!"
Mckinley
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: newbery, family, rodent
Boy and bunny and family. I didn't find this charming. I felt badly for the overly stressed out young boy.
Bryan Skelton
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
The story may be able to keep the attention of a 5 year old. I see the value in the book I just won't read it again.
Bobbie
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this out loud with the kids (age 5 and 7). I will read more by this author.
Layto
Mar 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is not one of my favorites. Some people may think differently so you might still want to read it. But I do not recommend it.
Lizzy
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
sweet book! Read it to the grands. This author really gets into a kid's head and knows how they think!
Connie
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This Newberry Honor Book is a delightful story about a little boy and his many emotions in anticipation for and delight in his black rabbit Shadrach. Thanks to Reader on whose shelf I found this. :)
Hillvan
  • When Shlemiel Went to Warsaw and Other Stories
  • The Old Tobacco Shop
  • Sugaring Time
1194868
Meindert De Jong was an award-winning author of children's books. He was born in the village of Wierum, of the province of Friesland, in the Netherlands.

De Jong immigrated to the United States with his family in 1914. He attended Dutch Calvinist secondary schools and Calvin College, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and entered the University of Chicago, but left without graduating.

He held various jobs d
More about Meindert DeJong...