Start by marking “The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)

The Good Luck Girls

(The Good Luck Girls #1)

Aster. Violet. Tansy. Mallow. Clementine.

Sold as children. Branded by cursed markings. Trapped in a life they never would have chosen.

When Aster's sister Clementine accidentally murders a man, the girls risk a dangerous escape and harrowing journey to find freedom, justice, and revenge - in a country that wants them to have none of those things. Pursued by the land's most
Expected publication: October 1st 2019 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about The Good Luck Girls, please sign up.

Miriam Smith
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t normally read fantasy adventure stories but now and again I do like to push my genre boundaries and try something a little different. The premise of “The Good Luck Girls” by new author Charlotte Nicole Davis really intrigued me and I was keen to read this Wild West style YA fantasy story.
When Clementine comes of age at sixteen to become a sundown girl in a ‘welcome house’ in Green Creek, she has to entertain a ‘brag’ (male customer) for the night as part of her ‘Lucky Night’ ceremony. U
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“The Handmaid’s Tale meets Thelma and Louise in an alternate Wild West setting.” AND ALL BY MY FAVORITE TOR TEEN. HO BOY.
Tucker
May 25, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
When Clementine accidently murders a man

HOW DO YOU "ACCIDENTLY" MURDER SOMEONE?????
Elvina Zafril
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the good luck girls

The Good Luck Girls is incredibly addictive. Once you picked up the book, you wouldn’t want to put it down.

A really great debut. At the very beginning, I felt kind of boring because maybe I just didn’t understand what’s going on. A few of characters appeared and I couldn’t remember their names. But after a few chapters, I started to like the story because it became more interesting. Obviously because of the incident that happened where Clementine accidentally murdered a man.

The characters - Aste
Kate (GirlReading)
This was truly fantastic.

It had everything I could have possibly hoped for and more after having read the summary. It’s got sisterhood, found family, heists, murder, an adorable f/f budding romance, monsters (both human and inhuman), nuanced discussions on inequality and the differences in rights between men and women, strong women in every sense of the term and a desperate fight for freedom, all with a sprinkle of dark magic.

This book somehow sucked me in from page one and despite it being a
Kelsea
This isn't my usual style of read. I'm not big on historical fiction, though historical fantasy holds a bit more interest for me. And travel stories + any kind of prostitution in fantasy aren't my thing, so the combination of those factors made me a bit wary at first.

Then I saw that this is a Tor Teen title - which means interesting and diverse - and I read an excerpt on Bookish First that piqued my interest. Plus it's an own voices story. So despite my initial hesitation, I was excited to read
Amanda
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredibly powerful and absolutely addictive read. I loved it so much!

Full review to come closer to publication date
Keyona
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book so much. After Clementine accidentally kills a well-connected brag (client), her sister Astor and a few other Good Luck Girls go on the run to finally be free. These girls were sold into slavery at very young ages and forced to have sex with men once they reach 16. These girls go on this adventure to try to gain their freedom. On the way, they meet many different characters. Some helpful and some very unhelpful. Some human and some not so human. I love how they banded togethe ...more
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
ARC received from the publisher in exchange for a honest review
TheNatashaReads
My rating: 4/5

Review:

Firstly, I would like to say that this book was an adventurous read. I love Charlotte Nicole Davis method of writing. It was an absolute page turner! The book kept me wanting to know more on how the characters fates would turn out.

Secondly, I love the characters in the book. Each characters have their own unique personality. It is written in Aster’s point of view, the main character. She is such a strong young woman that has been through a lot in her life. Her life story is
Mandy
Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of Tor Teen via a Bookish First giveway. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

Dear gosh, this totally matched up with how it was being billed: this is, for sure, The Handmaid's Tale meets the Wild, Wild West. This was a rush of a world that made me angry and hopeful at the same time in a ridiculously coo
sigaloenta
3.5 stars: a respectable debut that stands out in the overcrowded field of YA-dystopia-inflected fantasy. Set in a brutal wild-west landscape of perpetual indentured servitude has led to a functionally permanent underclass, a group of girls enslaved to a brothel go on the run and become an outlaw gang as they pursue rumors of a woman who can help them get rid of the indelible magical tattoos that mark their status and will forever prevent them from starting a new life.

There are some very strong
Arianna
I received this book for free from Tor Teen in exchange for an honest review.

We live in a scary world. There are murders, rapists; idiots of all kinds. We have people who think they are superior to others, and we have others holding office in a position of power far greater than anything they should ever have.

This book was not a get away from the reality we witness every day. Instead, it was forcing you to pay attention to things that are happening to people every day. Now, I'm not going to si
Virginia
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like every single book I read as a preteen prepared me to extremely love this storyline
☑ group of girls against the world
☑ one (1) soft boy who they love and trust
☑ magical elements woven into an otherwise normal storyline (in this case DESTRUCTIVE MALEVOLENT SPIRITS and MIND ALTERING MEN affected by those forces)
☑ GIRL WITH GUN meets Trust No Man
☑ FOUND FAMILY
☑ enemies to friends to lovers ??? (fight me)
all in the WILD WEST as they try to escape [sex] slavery in pursuit of a very nebu
Stacy Fetters
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I’m damned if I’ll accept that wickedness is what it takes to survive this life."

There have been quite a few books released recently that have that Thelma and Louise feel to it. This one was described as that with a mix of Westworld (?) and The Handmaid's Tale. So I knew that it was going to be enjoyable. What I wasn't expecting was to be blown away. This book blew my freaking mind and I loved it.

The Good Luck Girls have quite the reputation of starting trouble and not following orders. At you
Ninoshka
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-r-c, lgbtq
*This ARC was given to me by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

THIS BOOK!

Okay, so I don’t know what I was expecting from this book, but it completely destroyed all my expectations and showed me everything that I was missing in the world.

Right off the bat, we are thrown into the action. A man is murdered by one of our ‘good luck girls’ and they know that if they don’t run, it means one of their deaths. They come up with this crazy plan to escape this horrible world that they are sold int
Megan
I've typed and erased and typed and erased and I just can't express how good this book was besides that it was soooooooo GOOOOOOOOOOOD. And since it's a debut, I'm doubly surprised and in love! Also, that cover - fierce Aster!

There's so much to unpack with the nature of trauma, reactions to it, and the differences between the two girls who actually experienced being prostitutes and the three who were about to but escaped before it happened. Aster shrinks back from men, and Clementine is drawn im
Brooke Banks
Content Warning: Sex Slavery, Oppression, Torture, Psychological Warfare, PTSD, Addiction,

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
There needs to be so much more hype & promo for this. Absolutely stunningly amazing book. Cannot praise it enough. Can barely even form sentences after finishing. Just WOW!!!

>Immediately gripping
>Intense & emotional
>Did not want to stop reading for anything
>Yesss group of girl bandits on the run & taking names.
>The only thing I’d like is pictures of
Divena
Thank you so much to Tor Teen and Bookish First for giving me an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was hooked from the time I read the extended excerpt. Those first few chapters are haunting. Especially when you think about how this is some young girl's actual reality.

And in the spirit of Old Town Road being the song of the summer it was nice to have a little western fantasy featuring a black girl as the lead. Arketta is more a post-apocalyptic dystopian western world.

Aster i
Samantha land
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
COULD NOT PUT THIS DOWN! I am still in awe of what I just read. GUYS. GO GET THIS BOOK! It publishes in October and it is not one you want to miss. The story starts out with Aster and Clementine who are sisters in a brothel called “welcome houses”. It is Clementine’s first night as a Sundown Girl and she unfortunately kills a man. Aster and three other girls come together to escape before they are found out and killed. Unfortunately, the man is from a very prominent family who will stop at nothi ...more
Megan
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
A really great debut! I NEED MORE. Got this book at BookExpo and have been devouring it since.

This story hooked me from the beginning, and it’s totally Handmaid’s Tale meets the Wild West meets ghosts (with a small dash of magic? Not sure how else those tattoos and the Veil work.)

The characters were awesome, their extreme situations kept me at the edge of my seat, and this whole plot just shines a relevant light on American history and today’s prevalent (and scary) discussions about women and ho
Terri M.
Coming back from BookExpo 2019, I knew that I had to read this one.

Aster, Violet, Clementine, Mallow and Tansy journey across the bleak rough country of Arketta following a legend that will hopefully make them free women. As they travel, the reader witnesses them come to grow as individuals and as friends, learning that working together is sometimes the best means for survival. In a bleak landscape and a world that controls women, the five women are rays of hope for a better tomorrow.

After tackl
♠️ TABI ♠️
this looks fierce and gritty and epic and if I don't get all 3 things delivered to me I'm gonna be angsty with disappointment
Sarah Hannah
Takes a few chapters to get into it, but then it's dope.
Mariana Calderon
A great premise and interesting world, but solidly OK for me.
Lauren
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
4.5 overall
Cira
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amber
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from BookCon 2019 and Tor Teen in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I was on board with this book as soon as I found out it was a YA fantasy western. I didn’t even need to know the plot – I knew I was there for the aesthetics alone and the rest would come after.

I gotta tell you guys, the world Charlotte Nicole Davis built here is AWESOME. You get hints of a western feeling world in the
Kacey
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. It will be spoiler free and unaffected by the free copy.

This book was so awesome! I requested it because it gave off a very western vibe to it, and I love westerns. And though it's not fully western, I think it kept enough elements of the society and world of a western to be enjoyable. That said, this is a western fantasy, so there are a lot of made-up places and words, and the world has to be bui
Krys
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I was able to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
***
The Good Luck Girls is a debut novel from Charlotte Nicole Davis.
Clementine just turned 16 and is being inducted as a sundown girl now at the welcome house she’s lived at for awhile now. On her lucky night she accidentally kills her brag, and Aster, her older sister, in a desperate bid to keep Clementine alive decides they need to escape. With them come 3 other Good Luck Girls and thus begins t
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Remember Me
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • Muse
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • Nameless Queen
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • Skyhunter
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Harley in the Sky
  • Rumor Game
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)

The Good Luck Girls (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Good Luck Girls, #2)