Start by marking “Don't Call the Wolf” as Want to Read:
Don't Call the Wolf

Don't Call the Wolf

Fans of Leigh Bardugo and Holly Black will devour this gorgeously imagined fantasy about a dark forest besieged by monsters—and the wild queen who has sworn to drive them out.

A fierce young queen, neither human nor lynx, who fights to protect a forest humans have long abandoned.

An exhausted young soldier, last of his name, who searches for the brother who dis
Expected publication: April 28th 2020 by HarperTeen

Start your review of Don't Call the Wolf
Candace Robinson
Eh, so while I loved the cover for one this so much, I was a bit confused by this world! Lovely writing but just very confused.
♠️ TABI ♠️
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss
"Don't call the wolf from the forest."

description

I should have listened to the title of this book because, yikes, I was stunningly disappointed with this. It tries so hard to be a Leigh Bardugo-type fantasy but it ISN'T because there really is no definite, interest-grabbing plot. It tries so hard to be super magical but ends up throwing too many creatures and myths at you without taking time to develop them into the world of this book . . . which even then the world isn't that greatly-written, either. There are some pretty momen
anna (readingpeaches)
THIS BETTER BE GOOD OR MY POLISH ASS IS SUING

edit: the author is actually polish so this is giving me much more hope !
✨ A ✨
Wolves. Dragons. Polish folk lore. And a pretty cover.
....This is how you get my attention.

ARC recieved from publishers via edelweiss in exchange for an honest review
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Probably the one thing you should know is that Aleksandra Ross can WRITE. The prose in Don’t Call the Wolf is absolutely gorgeous, dark and lyrical without being purple, like (dare I say it) Leigh Bardugo herself. The writing is basically most of the reason this book gets 4 stars.

In giving this rating, I’m forgiving a range of plot holes and clichés, which will be detailed below. The best way to think of this book is as a fairytale – with all the positi
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

Don't call the wolf tells us the story of Ren, a girl that is the Queen of the Forest and Lukasz, the last Wolf-Lord. In this world, Wolf-Lords are Dragon Slayers. Ren is a lynx shape-shifter and is trying to save her forest from the evil monsters plaguing it, especially the strzygi which are a sort of zombie creatures that are infesting the forest. Lucasz crosses paths with Ren in the forest and
Jackie
May 31, 2018 marked it as 2020-wtf  ·  review of another edition
POLISH FOLKLORE!!!!! 2020 can‘t come fast enough
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Thank you HarperCollins and HarperTeen for the ARC.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
Lexie
Jun 06, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is Polish folklore and my heritage is Polish so super interested! Hope it's good! The premise sounds intriguing.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Dragons, dragon-slayers and a half-human/half-monster queen? I'm in!
Emma
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2019
I'm not quite sure what to make of Don't Call the Wolf. The story follows Ren, a girl who can turn into a lynx and is queen of the forest, and Lukasz, the last of a mythical line of warriors called Wolf-Lords. Both Ren and Lukasz want to rid the forest of the Golden Dragon, which has been causing destruction and bringing about the return of all sorts of terrible monsters. The book has a lot of fantasy elements but felt more like a zombie novel in terms of pacing and plot structures.

The world-buildin
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
When I read for fans of Leigh Bardugo in the synopsis, I became immediately intrigued. Six of Crows has got to be one of my all-time favourite series. A book that features dragonslayers just sounds epic, doesn’t it?!
Literary Belle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Polish high fantasy by a Polish author #ownvoices So excited!
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I skimmed through this entire book. The beginning was interesting with a different folklore than I had seen with the wolf lords and killing of dragons. Also the female MC was interesting and a shapeshifter. That said, the plot moved like molasses and progressed exactly as it seemed it would with no twists. Just not my kind of read but will likely appeal to those who enjoy retelling of fairytales.
Alice Reeds
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
As Polish person I'm honestly BEYOND excited for this book, and so curious. Can't wait to read it! :D
micolreads
I struggled to finish this book. It started with a promising plot, promising characters, but all I got in the end was a bit of confusion about everything. I think the style of writing was trying to be way too pompous that made the read hard. I did not feel a connection with any character and it just made me grow annoyed over everyone.

I did not hate this book though; I just didn’t find the writing style and plot overall to give it more than 2.5 stars. The thing that actually saved thi
Yara
Very cute read. It’s a little too juvenile (more like middle grade) but I loved it all the same. The characters are endearing, the setting is magical, the monsters are scary but manageable, and there are characters that turn out to be something you weren’t expecting. I loved the Polish references to clothes, foods, monsters names, etc. And it’s a stand-alone :) Overall I really liked this and recommend.
Greyland Reviews
My little Polish* heart is so ready for this!
*(I'm only a quarter Polish, with many other parts of me being Irish, Scottish, German, Russian, and Crow).
Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books)
well hello this sounds hella interesting. why did i not hear about this sooner?
Kat
A very dynamic written book, but with a very confusing plot at times. Interesting characters, monster, and imagery just not for me.
Kelsey
Aug 19, 2019 marked it as arc-received  ·  review of another edition
[Late March expiry]
Stephanie
I edited this, so of course I love it. But I think a lot of you will, too: it's a dark, sumptuous journey through a deadly forest; it's a love story that crackles with tension; it's a fairytale retelling, but one you haven't seen too many times before. I fell in love with wary Ren and exhausted Lukasz (#relatable), with the dragons and wolves and lynxes and nymphs that populate this forest, with their quest and the gnarled twists it takes. Can't wait for all of you to meet them, too!
Sami

• Nameless Queen
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • Winterwood
  • Permanent Record
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Chances Are...
  • How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)
  • Would Like to Meet
Fighting dragons, writing books.