Start by marking “One Hot Summer” as Want to Read:
One Hot Summer

One Hot Summer

Melanie Moreland - The Summer of Us
She was the light in my dark life. The sunshine that warmed me and made me smile.

We had one summer. One perfect summer, until the day it ended.

Years later, she walked back into my life. Older. Sadder. More beautiful than ever.

How can I prove to her that summer was real?

How do I make her see that boy that loved her then, still loves her
Expected publication: September 2nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about One Hot Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Hot Summer

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
One Hot Summer is an anthology comprised of seven amazing authors and seven novellas. I read The Summer Of Us by Melanie Moreland. I am in shock right now at the impact this little story had on me. The story is filled with so much emotion. I didn’t want it to end in one way but I also needed to read as fast as I could to make sure these two were going to be okay.

first kiss

Linc is seventeen years old and lives with a cold and manipulative father. Linc is nothing like his father. He is filled with warmth an
Janet Taggart Baldwin
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One Hot Summer is an anthology of steamy summer novellas that are sure to bring some heat to to your summer and a smile to your face. I am reviewing The Summer of Us by one of my favorite authors, Melanie Moreland.

Lincoln lives a solitary life. He may have a rich father and the appearance of wealth but he is abused and lives a dire existence. The one bright spot in his life is Sunny; beautiful, loving, sweet, from the wrong part of town Sunny. She is his world and as long as his dad doesn't find
M L Dyson
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland and it is amazing! This is the story of Linc and Sunny that will leave you believing in second chances! It was full of emotion and I absolutely didn’t want it to end!! Loved it!
Karrie
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Melanie Moreland's The Summer of Us is short, but sweetish! Lincoln or Linc called my Sunny is not your typical rich boy. He thought that they would have the whole summer together, but his father had other ideas after seeing Lincoln with Sunny one day. They eventually find their way back together to have many more summers together or at least I hope they do...
Erin Lewis
5 star Review The Summer of Us (One Hot Summer) by Melanie Moreland

Part of the One Hot Summer Anthology, this review is for The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland

Wow for such a short story, this one really packed a lot into it. This was a beautiful, well written story that tugged on my heartstrings and pulled my emotions all over the place.

Linc and Sunny were teenager lovers but thanks to his manipulative and violent father they were torn apart and forced to separate. Fast forward 10 years and oh
Shelly
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland that is a part of this anthology and I’m still a little speechless from it. I’m not sure I’ve ever felt this strongly about two characters in a novella before. But Linc and Sunny’s story reached in and grabbed me by the heart and abruptly yanked me into the deep end within the first couple of pages. I was fully invested and swooning, then devastated, only to be put back together again all within a few thousand words. Fantastic storytelling. Now...I nee ...more
Cathy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review of The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland

A summer secret romance between the downtrodden rich boy and the gentle, sweet girl from the wrong side of the tracks. The romance between these youngsters was absolutely perfect in the way it developed. 10 years later Lincoln returns and he and Sunny have a second chance. I would have loved more of the second half, I was just getting captivated by their story.
Patty
Summer of Us
I loved this short story in One Hot Summer. Linc is a child whose mother passed and he is left with a very abusive and uncaring father. His father is a very ugly man. He is greedy and conniving. All he wants from Linc is his trust fund.

Sunny is a girl from the wrong side of the tracks. She is a wonderful girl in love with Linc. She works hard and takes care of her family. All Linc and Sunny wants is to love each other. But Lincs father is not having it.

This book is a story of true lo
Nicki - The Overflowing Bookcase
Review for Melanie Moreland's Summer of Us:
With an overbearing father and his future already planned out for him, Linc hides the fact that he is in love with Sunny as his father does not approve. When they both find themselves working at the same summer camp their romance blooms. But Linc's dad is onto their secret and whisks Linc away - never to have contact with Sunny again. Will Linc be able to win her heart again after being away for ten years? Or will Summer always connect him with his hate
Jamie Schlosser
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland and I loved it! I was surprised a shorter story could have so many feels. It was angsty and heartbreaking at times, but the love between these two young characters was so swoony. I read this in one sitting because once I started it, I HAD to know what happened for Linc and Sunny. You can't go wrong with a Melanie Moreland book!
Pimm Cullen
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review of Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland
I really enjoyed this story. It's a beautiful mixture of first love & family angst. Linc & Sunny are a pair of best friends discovering the joy of first love, while Linc fights the hatred & greed of his father. There is a naive sweetness to Linc & Sunny's relationship, but the circumstances they face daily show they have real strength.
I really need this story to be expanded. I want to know a whole lot more about Linc & Sunny.
it.sgottabethebooks
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SUMMER OF US by Melanie Moreland

Summer of Us is a novella written by Melanie Moreland as part of the One Hot Summer Anthology. Melanie Moreland gives us a sweet read starring Lincoln and Sunny. This second chance romance will pull at your heartstrings. Despite the length of the story you will feel an emotional connection to the young couple and find yourself feeling all the emotions in such a short span of time. Melanie Moreland brings us a great story that will hold you captivated by her words
Tracey
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a review of Melanie Moreland's Summer of Us and let me tell you, that woman can write! I am never, ever disappointed -- when an author can capture the heart and soul of the characters in a 65-page book, you know she has talent. I "generally" shy away from novellas and short stories for that reason, but no worries here -- Melanie writes well-developed, interesting, emotional characters and Sunny and Linc are no exception -- I loved this couple so much! Second chances, soul mates and all t ...more
Jessica Lezama a
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland is part of the One Hot Summer Anthology. It's a super sweet story about 2 teenagers fighting Lincon's dad to be together one day. Even at their short age they know what they want and work together to get it. This is about the joy and hurt of the first love. I loved both characters and their story.
Pamela Lilley
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy of Melanie Moreland’s novella, The Summer of Us, so my review is based on that story. A sweet coming of age romance following super rich, super sweet Lincoln, son of an overbearing, cruel and greedy man who treats Lincoln abysmally, and Sunny, a sweet, kind girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Two hearts, two souls who are meant to be, but who both suffer at the hands of a cruel, vindictive man. I loved it.
Gem
The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland

No one does sweet romance reads quite like Melanie Moreland. Beautifully sweet, heart wrenching and full of chemistry. I read this in one sitting and with a big smile. A perfect summer romance read.
Ester
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read The Summer of us, by Melanie Moreland. It’s a very nice story about the first love. It made me sad to think that probably people like his father exists in this century, but it is also nice to see that there are always nice people around..
I don’t usually like this kind of stories because makes me feel sad and feel bad for their lost time and makes me feel is unfair for the lovers.. but is well written and made connect with the characters and feel their love since the beginning and th
Diane Jaeger
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read Amy Briggs Inheritance can't wait for the full version this fall early winter.
What a delightful and charming characters. Amy sure knows how to paint colorful story of a small tourist town veterinarian and big city writer that inherits a larger then life Great Dane. See sparks fly and magic happen in this fantastical written Novella. Well done. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Josephine
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read The Summer Of Us by Melanie Moreland in this anthology. I absolutely loved this story. Rumor has it she may make it into a full book. I'll be soooooo excited if she does this. I can't wait to read the rest of these! It's a cute story of summer teenage love. One gets left behind and you'll have to read it to hear the rest.
Crystal
Jill M
TongieGirl
Amanda
Romance Retreat: One Hot Summer - Coming Soon 1 6 Aug 11, 2019 08:24AM
Heidi McLaughlin is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of The Beaumont Series, The Boys of Summer, and The Archers.

Originally, from the Pacific Northwest, she now lives in picturesque Vermont, with her husband, two daughters, and their three dogs.

In 2012, Heidi turned her passion for reading into a full-fledged literary career, writing over twenty novels, inclu