Start by marking “Behind the Dragon's Veil” as Want to Read:
Behind the Dragon's Veil

Behind the Dragon's Veil

After seventeen years of seclusion and secrecy, Annarae Valanya, an artificer, and now the queen of Andrandria, sits the throne and embraces freedom for the first time. But her problems are far from over. In the dark of the night, a dragon reducesan entire village to ash. She organizes a tournament to assemble slayers, even as her royal council tries to humiliate and ...more
ebook, First Edition, 572 pages
Published September 1st 2019 by Silver Swallow Press

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Dragon's Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Dragon's Veil

Start your review of Behind the Dragon's Veil
Kärt
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, thank you Silver Swallow Press for a copy of this gem of a book!

This debut novel gave me Sarah J Maas vibes in a way and I loved it. All the characters were lovable and worked well together. The twists and turns kept me guessing, although some were a little predictable, hence the four stars, not five.

One thing I would've loved to have known more about was the automatons. They are a big part of Annarae's life, yet they weren't really talked about much.

I do hope the love interest
Bibliophile Cat
Oct 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
tabassum
Nov 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
From the cover to the synopsis this book drew me in completely!

Based in the fictional world of Andrandria, Behind the Dragons Veil follows the tale of Queen Annarae who hosts a tournament in order to find a champion to kill the dragon that decimated a fishing village. The tournament takes a personal slant for the Queen who must then marry the champion to appease her loyal council and retain her throne. Filled with magic and intrigue, Behind the Dragons Veil promised to be a captivating read.

Book Unicorn
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a book out there that deserves to go viral, a book you haven't read! It's called 'Behind The Dragon's Veil' by @christinaajolly

The synopsis is thus. There's a princess. She's been hidden from the world for 17 years - there's a good reason her parents aren't psychos trust me. And then her parents die & she becomes the Queen, totally untrained for the position. Then a dragon scorches a village. So she holds a tournament to find a dragon slayer. In the end she's to marry the winner of
Mary
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review!
I recently applied for and was lucky enough to get chosen to receive and read this book before publication (IT IS LIVE NOW THOUGH! Published 1st Sept!) This book.

What I really enjoyed about this was the fantastical setting and description throughout. The author has a really great way of making you feel like you were there with the characters seeing these Sights and making those momentous decisions.

I also enjoyed the characters themselves. I thought that Annarae herself was very
Vaiishnavi
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Whelan
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review .

Behind The Dragons Veil - @christinaajolly
Thanks to @silverswallowpress for the free book to review.

After seventeen years of seclusion and secrecy, Annarae Valanya, an artificer, most take the throne to become Queen of Andrandria.

So I really enjoyed reading this book, it’s full of dragons and magic which makes for a great read!! The world building is fantastic and at a certain point it becomes a book you just can’t put down! I am looking forward to the second book Behind The
Jamie W
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story has all things awesome: dragon shapeshifters, powerful scorcerers, steampunk contraptions, overthrown queens, exiled kings and tons of twists!

The story unfolds gradually, and is told through 3 different POV. Some characters have secrets, so their narrative is full of hints and not-fully explained thoughts, which confused me a bit, especially at the mid-way point where a lot of the action takes place and some pretty significant revelations are made. Also, the shift in POV was
Star Bookworm
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An entire review can be found at In Pursuit of My Own Library

This book greatly confused me. I felt like I was reading a fantasy sci-fi. (Though in all fairness I selected it based on its qualifier Steampunk Fantasy.) It seemed like I was reading a book with no shelf to call home.

The thing is--it worked. The elements all managed to jive together harmoniously. All the genres were living in one big, happy world together.

I just wish I could say the same for the writing continuity. The first half of
Nicole
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel was an enjoyable read, about a woman who has been hidden most of her life and now has to rule a kingdom. However, nothing is as it seems, for there are those who have secrets. Annarae is an artificer and after the recent death of her parents, has become the queen of Andrandria. The council wants her to marry, to secure the line, but Annarae is more concerned about her people and gathering allies to her side, for she cannot trust the council. She decides to have a tournament, in which ...more
Mel Balt
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has everything from shapeshifting dragons to steampunk awesomeness. It worked like magic for me. I finished this in one sitting and can't wait to read the sequel. I thoroughly cared for the characters, enjoyed the writing, the world-building and everything in between. The descriptions were pleasant to read and they don't overwhelm the story, or whip me out of it at all like some books i've been reading. The soft-romance was great too because it didn't overpower the plot or the ...more
Alice Warburton
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great debut novel, with lots of charming characters and a solid plotline. I enjoyed the world created, I felt as though it had lots of amazing bits and pieces to discover and I especially enjoyed how the title linked up to a large section of the plotline as sometimes this doesn't happen ! Jolly is great at connecting her characters, but I think her writing generally hits a lovely flow about half way in where I felt that I didn't want to put the book down. If anything, I would have ...more
Emily
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I adore the concept of this book and what it aims to achieve- steampunk fantasy is always a genre I am willing and excited to see more of- however, I am rating 'Behind the Dragon's Veil' as a 2.5/5, because I struggled to connect with the characters and the writing style.

For me, the style of this book felt slow and clunky at times, even in the first half, which feels more polished and revised. Plus. critically, I
Joyce
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Annarae has lived by herself for 17 years.One day she is crowned queen.Her advisors suggest that she get married to secure her throne but she does not trust the council.
She decides to organize a tournament and to marry the winner who will also have to slay a dragon that is trying to attack her kingdom.
This story follows a few of the fighters and their stories intertwine in this steampunk fantasy.
A good,well written book.
Thankyou Netgalley for this ARC
CR
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to read this one based on the cover. And the story did not disappoint. It was a tale woven though a lot of characters and its one that I couldn't out down. I read this in one sitting and can't wait for more! This one reminded me things like The Lord of the Rings, The Princess Bride, The Wizard of Oz, and others where there's a journey. This was one epic story!
Emma
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you Netgalley for letting me read this book. I found this book interesting, the magic system was very interesting to me and something that I have not seen in a book for a while but the plot fell a little flat for me, and the I didn’t really enjoy the characters. I gave this book a 3.5 stars.
Maria
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An extraordinary debut by the highly imaginative and talented Christina Jolly. Behind the Dragon's Veil transports you to a world of magic and adventure, that you may never want to leave. I can't wait for the sequel!
Paul
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A strong first fantasy story that keeps a good pace, has great use of language, and great characters. The plot is the main draw, which is imaginative and engaging. Recommended.

I really appreciate the NetGalley copy for review!!
Liz
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley-arc
I just really like the cover, ok? It reminds me of that Free Realms computer game
Sun May Li
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I realized my reading tastes have changed over the course of my life. I had no expectations going into this one. But this is a book I've always dreamed of reading. Riveting from start to finish. I was there with these characters, in this immersive world, and that was all that mattered. I will reread this and I can't wait for the next one.
Mel Balt
Doris Moore
Oct 06, 2019
Carol
Sep 01, 2019

• Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Beauty Sleep
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Cupid's Match
  • The Queen of Paris: A Novel of Coco Chanel
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Arrows of Fire
  • The Body in the Garden (Lily Adler Mystery #1)
  • In the Shadow of Vesuvius (Lady Emily #14)
  • Whiter: Asian American Women on Skin Color and Colorism
  • The Secret Messenger
  • The Last Letter from Juliet
  • Kisses & Ha'pennies
  • The Flatshare
  • Dover Two
Christina Jolly was born and raised in sunset city, Miri, Sarawak. A homeland nestled on the northwest coast of the beautiful island of Borneo, Malaysia. She now lives in Kuala Lumpur with her husband and two adorable children. She writes fantasy for young adult and adult readers. When she's not reading or writing she enjoys makeup, gaming, encouraging her children to have fantastical imaginations ...more