Start by marking “The Whitby Child (The Whitby Witches, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Whitby Child (The Whitby Witches, #3)

The Whitby Child

(The Whitby Witches #3)

In the depth of the night, a dark shape rises from Whitby's harbour and crawls along the deserted streets, leaving a trail of slime in it's wake. As Ben murmurs fitfully in his sleep, two glittering clusters of eyes stare keenly at the sleeping boy...

Along the windswept Whitby shore, Nelda the aufwader nurses a terrible secret. It is only a question of time before she must
Paperback
Published February 15th 2001 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Whitby Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whitby Child

A.D.T.
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love this end to the series. Despite its tendency to be quite dark, this wasn't so much dark as it was hopelessly wrapped in despair.
Heather
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Creepy artwork again - and none of the characters looked like their descriptions, which was a disservice. I didn't like Aunt Alice one bit in this book. She was all kinds of unconcerned about everyone. Although there were plenty of creepy twists, the ending was satisfying. Still, this book series is really not intended for children, I think.
Matthew Hodge
Phenomenal finale to the original Whitby trilogy.

It's a strange mix - I find it's like an episode of Heartbeat combined with a 70s occult-themed horror movie (and all of this aimed at young readers!).

But first and foremost, the story wins out because of Robin Jarvis' eye for character and ruthlessly addictive plotting. (Oh, and you'll want to visit Whitby once you've finished reading.)
Sandra Visser
A very boring, horrible story. It's gross too but this makes no impact on the reader. You feel apathetic and don't really care what happens. It's also a quick fix at the end that's completely unbelievable. Jarvis is just relying on his old tricks again. Very disappointing.
Roberta
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't lie, I loved Robin Jarvis books more that any other.
My mum was very, very strict about what I watched on tv but she let me read whatever I felt I could understand, something I will always appreciate.
I remembered the cover vividly, I remember her holding it up in a bookshop and me trying to explain that nothing in the story seemed as frightening as the freaky artwork, and that I didn't picture the characters that way. There was nothing so bad in the stories that it haunted me (the single
Kimbers
The cover scared the shit out of me as a kid
Rebecca
Better than book 2 but not as good as book 1. I think Jarvis had forgotten by this point how old his characters were, especially Jennet, as she is portrayed as much older than 12 (and Ben 8). It took me a while to finish this, the middle seemed to take ages, but the ending, once it got exciting, flew by. Can't make up my mind whether I'm happy or not with how the trilogy concluded, probably not overall as its too neat. Still, it's a unique series and I'd recommend it to teenage readers!
Virginia
May 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting completion to this series - lots of action and some unexpected twists and turns - I was surprised to have characters from the previous two books re-appear. Lots of storms and bad weather on the seas - was interesting to read this during a thunderstorm/windstorm in Iowa...kinda freaky.
Helen
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the end to this trilogy - it made me cry the first few times I read the series. Still as action packed as the others and love the climax to the story. Have read these loads of times and will probably still end up reading them again
Edward Davies
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
The Whitby Series concludes on a creepy high with the birth of a child that should never have been born. Jarvis knows how to unsettle people, and this book is beyond unsettling as far as children's literature goes.
Bethnoir
Again, this is a very tense book, lots of dark and miserable story lines but overall worth reading to complete the trilogy.
Christopher
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING
Laure Eve
Can't talk right now. Something in my eye. And my throat. What? Oh no, they're not tears, I just splashed my face with water or whatever.

*sob*
  • Down The Bright Stream
  • In the Grip of Winter
  • Sticks Across the Chimney: A Story of Denmark
  • Marco’s Pendulum
  • The Thirteenth (The Thirteenth, #1)
  • HarperCollins Treasury of Picture Book Classics: A Child's First Collection
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • The Land of Narnia
  • The Peppermint Pig
  • The Dragon Charmer (Fern Capel, #2)
  • Uncle Wiggily's Story Book
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • Gobbolino The Witch's Cat
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

The Whitby Witches (3 books)
  • The Whitby Witches (The Whitby Witches, #1)
  • A Warlock in Whitby (The Whitby Witches, #2)