Jump to ratings and reviews
Robin Jarvis’s latest creation is a world set in an alternate past. This strangely familiar Britain consists of ninety-three individual ‘blessed isles’ floating in the deep darkness and the story begins in December in the Gloriana Kalendar, when Elizabeth Tudor has reigned for one hundred and seventy-eight years.
Into this world – a place with no animals and little technology – comes a stranger, Brindle. No one knows where he’s from, or how he’s arrived. But he brings strange implements and practices, and he’s about to change things forever...

503 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2001

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Robin Jarvis

48 books222 followers
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals—especially mice—and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel—The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice—was the runner up for the Smarties book prize in 1989.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
16 (5%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Kirsty.
Author 72 books1,243 followers
July 15, 2007
although this was published in 2001, there's no information on Jarvis's website about the other two books in the trilogy. this is disappointing, as I enjoyed this and would like to read more. stop writing about mice and finish this trilogy!
Profile Image for H.
555 reviews21 followers
December 27, 2014
This is a childhood favourite of mine and it's been many a year since I first fell in love with this story.

Heart breaking, hilarious, clever, tense and intriguing - Deathscent has ever so much to offer. All these years later and I still can't accept what happened to Suet...

Robin Jarvis where are the other two books in this series! Shoddy. Eagerly awaiting them for a while now...!
Profile Image for Cat.
780 reviews73 followers
January 27, 2022
This book had a slow start but when the group left Malmes-Wutton I got really invested and didn't want to put the book down. There were definitely some interesting concepts here but I am quite indifferent about the Tudor period in general so that affected my enjoyment.
Profile Image for Stephen.
145 reviews2 followers
July 31, 2021
Just come across this post in searching.
I read this book years ago and remember it being fantastic.
For all it is a YA book I seem to remember it contained some fantastic and weird characters.
A bit of fantasy, alt.universe, steampunk etc.
I'm going find a copy again and reread.
Note
I have never read any other RJ books accept this one.
16 reviews
October 9, 2012
A long, long time ago in a country far away, a young me found this whilst on holiday in his hotel room. I read it, I loved it. Having recently lent it to a friend who shared the same opinion as I, I've read it again as an adult and enjoyed it just as much.
A great read.
Profile Image for Octavia Hill.
7 reviews
September 8, 2016
I can never really describe how much I love this book, it's probably my favourite ever. I just found it gripping and fascinating and beautiful and yeah. Read it c:
Profile Image for Ann.
401 reviews7 followers
August 14, 2018
Nieuwe schrijver ontdekt, ik ben verkocht.
Profile Image for Matthew Hodge.
593 reviews21 followers
April 17, 2018
So here's something new ... Robin Jarvis has a crack at sci-fi in Deathscent.

I don't want to say too much about the story because not knowing where it is going is the best part about reading it. But what I will say is that Jarvis manages to combine Elizabethan England, sci-fi and steampunk into one detailed, spectacularly written piece of work. At all points, the story should have been a mess and yet it works perfectly.

The series title - of which this book sadly is the only one ever to have been published - is Intrigues of the Reflected Realm and *intriguing* is the perfect word for it.
Profile Image for Edward Davies.
Author 3 books35 followers
May 17, 2015
I read this when it first came out and looked forward to reading the sequels, but Robin Jarvis mysteriously disappeared from the book writing world, leaving this and the Hagwood series incomplete. Since then he has started to finish off Hagwood, but there is no news on this. I enjoyed this alternate history story and found it slightly reminiscent of Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End. A nice start to a series that may never be.
Profile Image for Tim Lucas.
15 reviews1 follower
March 29, 2016
My favourite Robin Jarvis book so far (having read the Deptford Mice trilogy and the Whitby Trilogy). It is set in an extremely interesting world and has some of Jarvis' most loveable characters.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.