Start by marking “Death at the Workhouse (Penny Green Series Book 8)” as Want to Read:
Death at the Workhouse (Penny Green Series Book 8)

Death at the Workhouse

(Penny Green #8)

London 1885. Something’s not right at Shoreditch Workhouse and reporter Penny Green is struggling to convince someone to listen. After spending time there undercover, she knows that more can be done for the deserving poor beneath its roof. But does anyone else care?

When two workhouse inmates die in a fight, the police and the coroner accept the simplest explanation. Penny u
Published September 17th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Death at the Workhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at the Workhouse

Start your review of Death at the Workhouse (Penny Green Series Book 8)
Kristen
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic installment! I'm so happy I stumbled across this series!
Jan Russell
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disappointing read.

I have really enjoyed reading the other books in this series, but this one i could not finish. It was a tedious read and very dry. W
Lois Zollars
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EVERY Book is Riveting!

Emily Organ never fails to capture my attention from beginning to end! I really appreciate the added historical facts that she presents after the close of her stories. Her stories are remarkable because many of her tales have been influenced by her historical research/actual events. I am not a big fan of mysteries, but I cannot deny myself the enjoyment of Emily Organ's work- the chemistry of characters, Penny and James, is delicious; plus all of the regular characters tha
R.A. Forde
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read all of the Penny Green books thus far. I think Emily Organ does a good job of getting into the mind of a late Victorian professional woman. The books are very well researched, and the history is spot on. She knows what the geography of Victorian London was like, which neighbourhoods were poor and which well-to-do, how people travelled between them and how long it took. She also knows how they dressed and what they used for medication. All this helps to create a sense of time and plac ...more
Suzi Sheward
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful story .......

I’ve read all of the Penny Green books and none have disappointed me. I am particularly impressed by the historical research done by the author which I find as interesting as the story line. If you haven’t read a Penny Green book yet I would suggest starting with the first. Although each is a stand alone book there is a thread of continuity which enhances each story.
I’m eagerly awaiting the 9th in this series.
Clare Anderson
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite historical mysteries

Emily Organ’s Penny Green series are my favorite mystery series. I always pick them up as soon as they are out. While I find them quick and light read compared to other books I’m reading, I always learn new and interesting facts about the period. The characters in the book are well developed and Finding out what is happening with them is another reason I quickly pick up these books.
Delon Nickels
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as the previous books!
Bev Priest
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read.

Another good read in the Penny Green series. I've liked all of them. This one has a slightly macabre thread running through it, but well written as usual.
Amanda Jane
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best yet..

Miss Penny Green, and her sister Mrs Eliza Billington-Grieg, spend a night in Shoreditch Workhouses casual women's ward so that Penny can write an article on the conditions. They're experience is shocking and leads Penny to not only write an article revealing the truth but to pursue the matter with the Board of Guardians.

But then a mysterious death occurs at the workhouse, two inmates appear to have beaten each other to death and no one is particularly interested in co
Ann
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Another enjoyable entry in the series. Penny does always seem to look a bit before leaping, but it doesn't come off as 'too stupid to live'; rather she's just passionate about her cause. And she does look, but sometimes she leaps anyway. James is still getting exasperated with her, but also recognizes that her instincts are often spot on. He's finally close to paying off his former fiance for breach of promise so it looks like there will be a wedding soon. Eliza is still pursuing divorce from he ...more
Dana Linde
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of the Penny Green stories. You can't help but support a character who is so outside the norm. Her instincts regarding crimes that others feel have been brought to a satisfactory close are always spot-on. The works are always well researched, so the reader feels that the narration can be trusted when dealing with this aspect of the Victorian era. Furthermore, no subplot is left unaddressed, as the reader, in this installment, sees more of the relationship between Penny and James ...more
Linz Bassett
I love this series so much. It's easily becoming one of my favorites, and I eagerly await each new book release. I'm pretty sure it's the only book series that I actively track for new releases. When reading this series I really feel that Emily Organ does her due diligence with researching the time period. When reading the series I really feel like I'm being transported to the 1880s. Death at the Workhouse was no exception to this. I love the details that go into the story and I feel like each m ...more
Richard
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good follow-on from the previous volume and I found it absorbing, as usual. This didn't seem to involve as much personal danger to Penny as some of the previous volumes. The plot mainly involves some deaths in Shoreditch Workhouse and the investigations that follow. The whole situation was interesting, and it moves Penny's life story along. I feel satisfied for the moment, but I know there are big things to come in Penny's future. As always for this series, the writing and editing are ...more
Ann
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again an excellent read. As soon as I see a new book in this very good series, I have to buy and read asap.

Love Penny and the way she is so determined to not only find the truth but get others to agree and help get justice. She has a lot on her plate in this story as there is much to find answers to. As readers we have the enjoyable job of following Penny as she attempts to solve the mysteries.

Each book brings more to light of life in Victorian London. Emily Organ ne
Gary and Sandra Sims
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book

As always Ms. Organ's Penny Green book is a joy to read. Not only does the story hold your interest but you really get a sense of the era of the book. The lead characters are well written and the plot line well developed. This time around Penny and James must find out what is really happening inside a workhouse where they discover a number of unusual deaths; are they natural causes or murder? Can't wait for the next book in the series.
Susan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
1885. Newspaper reporter Penny Green is convinced that two deaths at the Shoreditch Workhouse are suspicious even though the police and the coroner do not. She persuades Inspector Blakely to help her investigate. (Obviously he has no other cases to deal with).
Unfortunately I have become increasingly irritated by the character of Penny (starting in the previous book) and so found the book difficult to read.
Sharon Bowen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been enjoying the Penny Green series by Emily Organ. The series is set in London in the late 1800s and reminds us that our customs and everyday practices that we are used to, did not always exist. I enjoy the throwback nature of the books and the fact that Penny asserts herself into situations that most women of her day would have shied away from. I'm looking forward to the next installment in this series.
Ken Hines
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great as always

This book had a lot twist and turns into the things happening at the Workhouse. I thought for sure someone from there was threatening Penny.
I was very happy about the ending and the wonderful news about Francis and Mr. Green.
I cannot wait for the next book to see how all of this news comes together.
Heatherinblack
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
well done mystery

good mystery. good way of getting around to the diverse solutions. i do have an issue, as do several people in the story, with Penny going everywhere with James. ok, it was the 1800s, but seriously. i would so not be ok with it.
Ari Maayan
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. I love Penny Green. Whatta woman. Whatta detective. She puts Scotland Yard to shame.......in this in a era when women were supposed to stay home and make dinner and babies. And now.....Death at the Workhouse. Best yet. They just get better and better!!!!!!
Danielle Rose-West
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this latest Penny Green book. The story was wonderful and I especially enjoyed reading the real accounts from the author's research at the end. Horrifying, but fascinating reading for someone who loves history as much as I do. It was so educational. Can't wait for the next instalment.
Lj Istwany
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just fun

I cannot help but live Penny Green. I enjoy her tenacity and wit. I love her imperfections. I always read this series as soon as it is released and then mourn that there isn't another one. Bombshell at the end doesn't hurt either. Please keep writing!
Virginia
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite so far

Absolutely love this series and hope it continues. So glad that James finally asked Penny to marry him and that her father was found. Can’t wait for the next one.
Debbie
Great book

Emily Organ has done it again. Her research on the period puts the reader right there with Penny and James.
Haydn Pope
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb

As with every book in this series, a superb novel with a well thought out plot. As always I really enjoyed reading it!

Rhonda
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book series - very sad how paupers were treated in those times.
Kathryn Dessert
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twist s and Turns

Twist and turns keep the reader in suspense throughout the entire novel. Penny Green's suspicions lead to the truth. I can't wait for the next book.
Jeannette
Sep 26, 2019
Kyle
Sep 23, 2019
Vivian
Sep 17, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Murder at Kensington Palace (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery Book 3)
  • Murder on Eaton Square (A Ginger Gold Mystery, #10)
  • The Curse of Braeburn Castle (Heathcliff Lennox #3)
  • Lady Gold Investigates Volume 2
  • Murder in the Shadows: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 16)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • A Friendly Little Murder: A Violet Carlyle Cozy Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 13)
  • The Black Cat Murders: A Cotswolds Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 2)
  • The Skeletons of Birkbury (DCI Peter Hatherall Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Boat Club (A Ginger Gold Mystery #9)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle Mystery #6)
  • Murder on All Hallows: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 15)
  • The Flower Show Murder (Monica Noble, #2)
  • Death Misconstrued: A 1930s Murder Mystery (Poison Ink Mysteries Book 4)
  • Lady Gold Investigates
  • The Quickening and the Dead (Charles Dickens Investigations #4)
  • An Unfortunate End
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A Country House Christmas Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
Emily Organ is the author of the popular Penny Green Victorian mystery series which counts over 400,000 downloads worldwide. The first book in her Churchill & Pemberley cozy mystery series has been shortlisted for Amazon UK's Kindle Storyteller Award 2019. Writing historical mysteries combines her love of history and mystery. Emily lives in the south of England with her family. Find out more a ...more

Penny Green (8 books)
  • Limelight (Penny Green #1)
  • The Rookery (Penny Green, #2)
  • The Maid’s Secret (Penny Green #3)
  • The Inventor (Penny Green #4)
  • Curse of the Poppy (Penny Green #5)
  • The Bermondsey Poisoner (Penny Green #6)
  • An Unwelcome Guest (Penny Green Series Book 7)