Start by marking “Jazz” as Want to Read:
Jazz

Jazz

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Gary Giddins and Scott DeVeaux write with intellectual bite, eloquence, and the passion of unabashed fans. They explain what jazz is, where it came from, how it works, and who created it, all within the broader context of American life and culture.
Published January 6th 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jazz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jazz

Tim Niland
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Prominent jazz journalist Giddins and music scholar and author DeVeaux team up for a very ambitious book covering the length and breadth of the music's history and even offering a boxed set (sold separately) of associated recordings. Aiming the book at undergraduates and music listeners, they begin by explaining what jazz is and the concepts of the music and improvisation involved. Then the authors move into a detailed history of the music, done in chronological fashion. They can't hope to cover ...more
Paul Peterson
Excellent source for jazz aficionados and great overview for the casual listener, like myself. All the most influential artists were covered and an outline of jazz history constructed. I was able to greatly expand my jazz artist lists on pandora.com so have added much great listening to the weeks and months ahead.

Geoff Rich
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great look at the progression of jazz from New Orleans to Bebop to Fusion and beyond. The listening guides are a particular highlight.
Paul
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
We all probably know a jazz buff. I've known a few. Nice people in general, but their complete submersion and downright (sorry) snobbery about all other forms of music can be more than a little off-putting. For this and other reasons (no lyrics, difficult listening at times), jazz never seemed quite worth the effort.

If only a great book like "Jazz" was around 25 years ago. Gary Giddins and Scott DeVeaux tell what is truly a fascinating story of artistry and beauty and tragedy and, well, love, in
Bj Staehlin
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A most excellent text on the subject. I had little to no knowledge of the subject, but after this am much more well-informed. I got this from a college library, so I don't know if the general edition from a bookstore would include this, but mine included 4 CDs, the Norton Jazz Recordings. This is what makes it so excellent. When the authors talk about a person, effect, type of music form or whatever, there's a selection that illustrates (audiates?) that. According to the introduction there are 7 ...more
Herzog
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
This is an excellent book. I was quite familiar with jazz history, but still learned some things from the narrative; but, more than that, the numerous descriptions of pieces was incredibly helpful. I didn't have the accompanying CDs, but own a number of the described pieces. I found new insight in close listenings of things like Art Tatum's "Over the Rainbow." My only complaint is that I wish they'd done this in a multi-media format.
Jimmy Winokur
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best jazz book I've found. IN additional to social and good biographical treatments, Giddens and his sidekick break history into analytic clusters especially beginning with Modern Jazz, i.e. Be Bop: rhythm, composition, etc., with very helpful analyses of song recordings available to accompany the book. Just greet reading, and reference source.
Alex
Feb 22, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This looks cool and all, and Joanne even has the accompanying boxed set of CDs. Which makes it more of a project than a book, so I'm psyched to get to it sometime when I have a month of Sundays to kill.
Sam Poole
Sprawling and enlightening at points, excessive and misguided at others. Annoying tendency to downplay race and identity politics to focus on strict history. Clear agenda missed at points. Quick read and pretty complete.
Matt
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic introduction to jazz and its many paths and variants throughout the 20th century. The book includes analyses - down to the second - of several dozen tracks, most of which are easy to find and listen to on Spotify.
gekko100
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this comprehensive but thoroughly readable history of jazz music. The listening notes are particularly good. Co-writer Gary Giddins appeared in the Ken Burns Jazz series, but for my money this book gives a more balanced treatment (giving a fair coverage of music beyond the 60s).
Jon Allor
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Covers major and minor artists, short chapters with music CD's (extra purchase) that follows the book.
Sumayyah
Jun 10, 2011 marked it as unrated-unfinished
Very heavy reading.
Phebe
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book. Good views on musical theory and aspects. Loads of incite and information. A great read.
Caracalla
  • Feminine Endings: Music, Gender, and Sexuality
  • Moving to Higher Ground: How Jazz Can Change Your Life
  • Jazz: A History of America's Music
  • The Death of Rhythm and Blues
  • Yes Yes Y'all: The Experience Music Project Oral History Of Hip-hop's First Decade
  • Lush Life: A Biography of Billy Strayhorn