Start by marking “My Lai: A Brief History with Documents” as Want to Read:
My Lai: A Brief History with Documents

My Lai: A Brief History with Documents

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This volume introduces students to the most controversial incident of the Vietnam War - the My Lai massacre when almost 400 Vietnamese civilians were killed in four hours. The authors discuss the ramifications of the cover-up and the ensuing investigations for the American public, policymakers, the anti-War movement and the soldiers involved. They examine the causes of the ...more
Published February 15th 1998 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about My Lai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lai

Ted
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lt William Calley was a horribly inept platoon leader. He was also a war crimes criminal and should have been hung for his actions. To be found guilty of killing unarmed men, women and, especially, children and ultimately only serving 3 1/2 years under house arrest for these atrocious actions is justice denied. That said, Calley was also a scapegoat. He was the only individual to be found guilty of this genocidal incident. His company commander, Capt Earnest Medina (who ordered his troops to des ...more
Romaissa
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
"How can I like a book that filled me with so much rage?" I pondered as I was picking out my rating. And I realized, it's not the content. It's the truth that it presents. I read this for my American History course and even used it to write an essay on the reasons for this tragedy and what its cover up etc. says about the nature of the Vietnam War, in general. I liked that these were primary documents that I was analyzing for the most part; not 2nd hand analysis from historians (though those mos ...more
Theresa
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
James S. Olson chose great documents and interesting interviews to inform us readers about this atrocity that happened just several decades ago. There were also some pictures that added more emotional content to the book, showing how terrible the massacre was. I enjoyed reading this book and would definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to read to much but still want to get a lot of information out.

Also, a small side note, Olson does a fantastic job with giving the background informa
Laurie D'ghent
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason this book did not get 5 stars is because the few pictures that were included had no caption. I looked on the Internet and learned so much more. I was also shocked at how much I found myself disliking Calley, only to discover he was 26. How can someone who has just entered adulthood make such decisions and be held culpable?
Littleleaf
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Excellent for what it's meant for. Full of information, thought provoking at the very least. I, personally, am partial to fiction, however, so while it's factual and a good source for the history essay I read it for, it's not a book I would sit and read for fun.
Isaac
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very sad book in my opinion. It talked about Charlie company going into a village and killing nearly five hundred innocent men,women,and children. Thinking they were Viet Cong. I love the information it has but not the outcome. It is a must read book.
Jasmine Nguyen
This book was very helpful and informative. Though, in my opinion, the multiple interviews became repetitive and boring.
Chris
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1960s, vietnam-war
Excellent book if a bit lengthy. Students respond to it well and it does a great job at facilitating discussions on My Lai and the broader nature of war and military culture.
Alma
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every American who needs a clearer picture about what truly went on in Vietnam.
Dane
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Thorough look at a terrible tragedy.
A
Bree
Feb 03, 2015
Josh
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It's deplorable what they did.
Rhiannon
Mar 29, 2016
Jessica Jones
May 31, 2009
Brad
rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2017
  • Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans
  • One Crowded Hour
  • Fighting for Air: The Battle to Control America's Media
  • Hiroshima in America
  • Killing the Messenger: A Story of Radical Faith, Racism's Backlash, and the Assassination of a Journalist
  • Grunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq
  • The Great Oom: The Improbable Birth of Yoga in America
  • Big Trouble: A Murder in a Small Western Town Sets off a Struggle for the Soul of America
  • Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present