Start by marking “Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook” as Want to Read:
Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook

Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook

Twenty years ago, Making the Best of Basics -- Family Preparedness Handbook became the family preparedness bible for a generation. The '90s have brought their own litany of worries -- company downsizings, severe hurricanes and winter storms, flooding, government shutdowns -- that make in-home storage an attractive proposition again.The recently updated and expanded Ninth ...more
Published March 1st 1997 by Gold Leaf Press (WA)

To ask other readers questions about Making the Best of Basics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Best of Basics

Start your review of Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
Karen
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Good choice for family preparedness. If you only buy one book, this would be the one.
Yasjencon
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
it was great. a little more indepth than what i was looking for. explains in great detail canning, drying food, and all that.
Miss Lilli
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. I started using it over twenty years ago to put together our family's emergency supplies. I still use it. The recipes are terrific. In fact, every time I bake bread, I use the recipe from this book. It is pretty much the only bread I eat. Also, the cracker recipes are family favorites.
Katie
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: household, reference
This is THE best home storage book I have ever seen...and I've seen so many boring ones, I could build a library on those alone.
This book is one that should be owned and I'm going to start looking for one to purchase. There are charts galore, ideas, tips, and information about so much.
Yes, if you believe in being prepared as far as home storage goes....this is the book to have.
Melissa
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: resource
Louisville Library carries this book, for anyone that cares. A really great resource if you are clueless to food storage. I'm sure it will have to be rewritten, now that the LDS church has changed their recomendations for storing food, but a great place to start reading regardless.
Danielle
Aug 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
great reference book
Martha
May 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
It had some good stuff, including some I didn't know (like recipes for triticale), but also some stuff I don't foresee ever needing (like recipes for triticale).
Chris
Kaley
rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2015
Muhammed YOOSAF
rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2019
Nov 21, 2013
JenWinEd
May 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• One Second After (After, #1)
  • The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own
  • The Complete Tightwad  Gazette
  • 48 Days to the Work You Love
  • The Resilient Farm and Homestead: An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • The Hunger Fix: The Three-Stage Detox and Recovery Plan for Overeating and Food Addiction
  • Permaculture: A Designers' Manual
  • Restoration Agriculture
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money: Your Guide to Living Better, Spending Less, and Cashing in on Your Dreams
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Financial Independence
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • World Made by Hand (World Made by Hand #1)
  • The Postman
  • Lucifer's Hammer
  • The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise and Decline of America's Man-Made Landscape