Start by marking “Katherine Anne Porter: The Life of an Artist” as Want to Read:
Katherine Anne Porter: The Life of an Artist

Katherine Anne Porter: The Life of an Artist

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
From the moment Katherine Anne Porter arrived on the American literary scene in 1922, the public was intrigued with her life. Yet she herself revealed only scant facts of her background and often gave conflicting accounts. She maintained, though, that a germ of her own experience lay at the core of everything she wrote.

In Katherine Anne Porter: The Life of an Artist, Darle
Published September 7th 2005 by University Press of Mississippi

To ask other readers questions about Katherine Anne Porter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katherine Anne Porter

Kirk
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-by-friends
To refer to Prof. Unrue as a friend is a bit presumptive, but she and I have been working on the Porter selections for the HEATH ANTHOLOGY lately, and I admire this book a whopping lot. It's more cultural and more balanced than Joan Givner's 1982 biography (which got a bad rap for leaning too heavily on "exposing" Porter's more imperious side). Porter led an extraordinary life: 90 years, 5 marriages, several continents and lovers (usually younger men), an array of literati (Allen Tate, Hart Cran ...more
Melissa
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-stuff, texas
This was the first book club book of 2007, and I must say I picked a good one. Porter, a Texas native, lived an amazing life. Her biography is unlike many other literary bios I've read--she lied throughout her life (Unrue was the first to determine that she was married 5 times--Porter only admitted 3), constantly travelled, and we never quite determined when she found time to write. I'll definitely be checking out Ship of Fools at some point.
Raelene
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous biography. Comprehensive and clearly-written, but even better is that it totally sucks you in. I started reading just sections for a research paper and, 20 minutes later looked up to breathe at the end of the chapter. Porter is a fascinating woman and Unrue has truly done her - and her incredibly diverse life - justice.
Diane Mueller
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed learning a bit about Katherine Anne Porter after a while this book just started to drag. I felt naming every husband, lover and possible lover grew old. It was interesting to learn more about her background and her life in Kyle, Texas. Now I need to make the time to read some more of her writings to see how she brings her life story into her stories.
DrMama