Start by marking “The Fiddler of the Northern Lights” as Want to Read:
The Fiddler of the Northern Lights

The Fiddler of the Northern Lights

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Far to the north, where wolves howl at night, the old folk say that strange and wondrous things sometimes happen. The Pepin family lived in the north woods along the wild St. Maurice River, and Henry learned all of Grandpa Pepin's stories by heart. Everyong says they are just stories, until the night Grandpa and Henry go upriver in search of the fiddler and something stran ...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Fiddler of the Northern Lights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fiddler of the Northern Lights

Jessica
Dec 18, 2009 rated it liked it
The book is okay but the pictures are beautiful.
Erika
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story. Gorgeous illustrations!
Amy Herrick
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book:
Traditional Literature; Picture Book

Estimate of age level of interest:
Grades K-3

Estimate of reading level:
Grade 2

Brief description:
Henry and his grandfather live in a cabin in the wilds of the north woods. One night, Henry’s grandfather tells him the legend of the Fiddler of the Northern Lights. Henry sets out on the frozen river, under a sky full of the Northern Lights, to find him.

2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and how they
Jode
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all ages
This is another book I bought on sight. Over and over it inspires me. Leslie Bowman's illustrations are beautifully rendered watercolors, just begging you to create your own. Even if I hadn't liked the magical tale - which I did — I'm delighted every time I open the cover. It's a wonderful escape.

Andrea
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone with an imagination
Shelves: favorites, kidsbooks
I found this book to be enchanting. I've only been able to find it around Christmas time. Maybe this year, I'll just buy it. It's a very magical story of a man who, when he plays his fiddle, is able to make the northern lights "dance." It's the kind of book that should be read with a cup of tea, holiday cookies and by a fire.
Michelle
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful folktale about the northern lights! If only we could keep the magic of our childhood...and a fiddler could show up at our door.
Hillvan
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ok-2015-1-spring
AD550L
Rachel
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
It would be nice if more of "magic" was still in our world. I really liked the concept of the lights "dancing" to the music.
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the grandfather/grandson relationship. I think that they had a connection that couldn't be broken even if the fiddler would have never knocked on their door.
Karen
Chelsea
Aug 07, 2015
Anna
Aug 05, 2013
My sister, three brothers, and I grew up on a Vermont dairy farm in a region known as the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, USA, where my Scottish ancestors settled almost two hundred years ago.

Our lives revolved around our church, our community, and the hard work of farming. Along with milking and feeding the animals each morning and evening, there was the work of each season: maple sugaring, plowing
More about Natalie Kinsey-Warnock...